The Photo Snob Thread

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Yeah I'm not that worried about it hey, I'll just have some beers with my mates instead.

And nah, I'm skipping british india, have fun though, hopefully they'll do better this time around ;)

wombat

Lives in a hole
Shayne, it's worth getting an ABN anyway. It takes no time to set up online, it's free, if you don't earn anything against it you don't have to do a tax return for it, you can write your camera equipment off as business expenses, etc. And it future proofs you a bit in case you start doing more stuff down the track and people want an ABN.
When did you get yours Andrew? I just did some asking, and according to the accoutant the government is trying to crack down on people getting ABNs just for access to wholesale goods. Now they want evidence that you're taking steps to make your operation a viable business. Although apparently a business website could be enough, and that's another thing I want to do, so it's far from impossible, but apparently more difficult than it has been previously.

Reece, I'm sure you'll get other paid gigs too man. Just keep your ear to the ground; all the paid work I've had has just been through knowing someone, it's had very little to do with talent (thankfully! :p).

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think Australia's Next Top Model had a shoot in there one week.
Yeah wouldn't be surprised, there've also been a few car shoots in it.

Thanks for the comments guys, anyone that's interested in shooting it it's in inner-city sydney, shoot me a PM and i can tell you where it is/show you around (it's 30 seconds down my street).

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
When did you get yours Andrew? I just did some asking, and according to the accoutant the government is trying to crack down on people getting ABNs just for access to wholesale goods. Now they want evidence that you're taking steps to make your operation a viable business. Although apparently a business website could be enough, and that's another thing I want to do, so it's far from impossible, but apparently more difficult than it has been previously.
Yeah, something about earning over $40k before you can claim stuff back!

Anyone know of some cool "old or run down" buildings in Melbourne like the one G-Fish shot?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I got my ABN end of 07 as I was taking a gig with FTR who required me to have one. Claimed heaps of shit against my tax last year relating to it - camera body, lenses, lighting, backdrop, memory cards, etc etc. Give it a go, anyway - I recall it only took ~30 mins on the internet to do it and you can even make it effective retrospectively incase you've been paid previously without having one.

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Anyone know of some cool "old or run down" buildings in Melbourne like the one G-Fish shot?
Not in melbourne, but theres a place in wollongong I have been meaning to get into for months. It's right on a busy road, with a semi open front, so I don't want to draw too much attention to myself :p

No, that didn't help you at all. I realise this.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, something about earning over $40k before you can claim stuff back!

There is the old train yards near Southern cross and north melbourne station Hux, I got some old stuff here somewhere i'll try and dig it up.

*EDIT* Old camera shot, not very snazzy, but gives you an idea of what its like :)

Last edited:

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Callan: could you have the pictures organised into different "genre's" or different shoots.

So you can look at portraits in there own space, look at bikes/parkour in another space etc.

Jervis

Likes Dirt
Callan: could you have the pictures organised into different "genre's" or different shoots.

So you can look at portraits in there own space, look at bikes/parkour in another space etc.
I agree. Similar to dan peters website? So when you start doing some commercial work, you can have a gallery for that. An action sports gallery, personal work gallery etc.

ALL THE BEST calrob!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
There is the old train yards near Southern cross and north melbourne station Hux, I got some old stuff here somewhere i'll try and dig it up.

*EDIT* Old camera shot, not very snazzy, but gives you an idea of what its like :)
Thanks Jason. Will Check that out.

Just simply changed my front page, the idea is that I will keep it as my favourite/latest shot:

www.callanrobison.com

Will update the gallery tomorrow night, as I am shooting tomorrow arvo.
:)

Honest feedback would be great!
Looks heaps better now Callan!

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can get into that yard really easily Hux... it's weird, I thought they'd have more security. Here's one that I prepared earlier of it!

Arete

Likes Dirt
They say bad things happen in threes. I hope they're wrong, cause this week number 2 would be the dog chewing up my 18-55 Nikon kit lens, leaving me with only a 55-200.

I was thinking of replacing it with something that would both do the same job, and have macro capability, but a) the kit lens is only worth $140 on ebay and b) I can't seem to find anything that'll work (AF-S) with a Nikon D40 that goes out to 18 and has macro functonality... So I'm guess it's best to just replace the kit lens, then buy a seperate macro lens.

Any suggestions?

-DAvo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys

wow this thread is getting massive!

anyway for anyone who is using a canon DSLR, im offloading some of my lenses

1. EF 100mm f/2 USM $350.00 ono posted aust wide

2. EF 24mm f/2.8 $200.00 ono posted aust wide

and MIGHT consider selling my EF 200mm f/2.8L USM if i get a good offer on it

all lenses are as new with boxes.

any questions emaill me at d_chai@hotmail.com

happy snapping people!