The Photo Snob Thread

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Callan, if you were aiming for a 'macro shot' as such, you will want to use the macro collar on the 35-70 f/2.8 but like I said, it will be manual focus only. (Use live view and zoom in to really dial in your focus and maybe open out your aperture to 2.8 to narrow your depth of field). A tripod is probably your best bet here as it is hard to maintain a steady hand whilst also balancing the lens and the camera at the same time.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Everyone uses this argument, which is fine, but in the past three years of taking photos i've never once had a card fail, and know exactly zero people who have had a card fail. It seems like one of those internet scare-tactics to get people not to buy large CF cards (there are lots of those going 'round at the moment...be careful...;)).
Well you know someone now!:D I have one sitting on my self at home gathering dust. It was only a 2gb card, but it still failed. I have yet to figure out why.
I didn't get my response from the internet, more so from a photography mag, title eludes me at the moment. But it made perfect sense to me.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you don't learn what Av Tv M can do for you, it's equivalent to buying a high end mountain bike and only riding around in first gear
I just lol'd. I constantly wonder a little why the higher end cameras have modes like landscape etc, i just come to the fact that its there to attract customers to the more flashy cameras, so they don't feel out of thier depth having to fiddle with all the settings, I don't think i've ever used any of the landscapeish settings ( i repeat landscape because i can't remember the others :p)

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I just lol'd. I constantly wonder a little why the higher end cameras have modes like landscape etc, i just come to the fact that its there to attract customers to the more flashy cameras, so they don't feel out of thier depth having to fiddle with all the settings, I don't think i've ever used any of the landscapeish settings ( i repeat landscape because i can't remember the others :p)
In terms of Canon, anything 5D and above (note: this does not mean 7D) is without silly auto modes.

xxD bodies have auto modes as they're high end consumer models, not professional models.

Can't comment on Nikon.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In terms of Canon, anything 5D and above (note: this does not mean 7D) is without silly auto modes.

xxD bodies have auto modes as they're high end consumer models, not professional models.

Can't comment on Nikon.
I've never had the money to got 5D and Above :p hence my unknowingness haha. Yeah I was basing my comments around canons, seeings they are really the only DSLRs i've had a good go with.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I disagree, I've never read a manual for my camera... Just play around and see what does what, then google it.:D
You may disagree, but you're wrong.

Reading the manual is the best way to get a grasp for what does what and why, without having to annoy other people with your n00b questions.

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Read it front to back at least twice, then come and ask questions about the stuff you don't understand.

Agreed, the manual can save you a lot of time. Also if you really want to learn the camera's features you can get one of these books.

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod6171.htm

Nup, mine's still sitting here waiting for a buyer. I do know someone who's posted in the last two pages who might though...;)

Hmmm the mind boggles!

brodie_rider

Likes Dirt
Roboturners,

I want a wireless flash, and I dont wanna spend a hell of alot of money.
I am n00b and would appreciate it if anyone can help me with this.

I have a sony A200.

Cheers Robots.

Hugle

Likes Dirt
Roboturners,

I want a wireless flash, and I dont wanna spend a hell of alot of money.
I am n00b and would appreciate it if anyone can help me with this.

I have a sony A200.

Cheers Robots.
G'day mate; i was in the same market as you not so long ago. I ended up buying a Nissin di622 (i think thats right?) from ebay; set me back about $150. It's a decent flash on body (definitely a step up from the built in flash) but you definitely get what you pay for. It also only has optical triggering when in slave mode (ie. it needs the light for another flash to fire it) which works well in a controlled situation but is a bit of a pain otherwise. I regret not buying one of the cactus (i forget the model) flashes coupled with a v4 trigger; they are simpler, easier and generally more effective.

On a side dish; as chrissy is coming up i have talked the parents into combining my birthday and christmas presents into a lens. Atm im trying to make my mind up between either the sigma 50mm f/1.4; the canon 50mm f/1.4; or the canon 85mm f/1.8.
any advice would be wonderful!