The Photo Snob Thread

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
Yeahhh pet photos, put they were the only subjects around at the time!

SNIP
Mate love these. the first and third are awesome. love the colours and the subject. the mood in the first is so well captured as well as the last. My dog doesnt look so peacfull while chewing sticks lol.

Keep them up.

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey geez, who's got a pentax k to eos adaptor? I picked up a beautiful 50/1.7 and a 28/2.8 from an op-shop in west end for $15, and they're both optically superb. Don't really want to f*** around with taiwanese ebayers unless I really have to. Would prefer just to buy one from someone on here, someone help me out!

Hugle

Likes Dirt
Hey geez, who's got a pentax k to eos adaptor? I picked up a beautiful 50/1.7 and a 28/2.8 from an op-shop in west end for $15, and they're both optically superb. Don't really want to f*** around with taiwanese ebayers unless I really have to. Would prefer just to buy one from someone on here, someone help me out!
Hey mate, I picked one up on ebay for about $15, adapted over a smc-m 50mm f/1.4, the quality of the adapter is fine but because the aperture device on the lens (a sticky out lever thing protruding from the back of the lens) touches the camera body, it doesnt stop down past f/3.5.
So my 2c is the thaiwanese adapters are as fine, but k-lenses dont adapt over to eos that well because of the aperture lever. Sounds like a good deal though!

slamer

Likes Dirt
Haven't taken photos in a while, went for a drive today and ended up in the mountains with a steam train so broke out the camera :).

Any tips would be ace.
Its surprising the quality of work in this thread, mountain bikers can be quite artistic sometimes.

hotazell

Likes Dirt
Got outside in art today. Managed to find this little fellow running around. Unfortunately the eyes are a tad OOF.
Been watching your pics with interest. From an art point of veiw they are great but they would be sooo much more interesting if you could see more of the insect. When you work with such a shallow DOF you need to be acutely aware of how parallel to the insect you are to maximise the piece of the insect in focus. I am about to start some stacking and was given some pointers from a friend of mine that has taken all the pics for the moths online of Australia

http://www.ento.csiro.au/anic/moths.html

Obviously it is easier to shoot dead than alive but the same principles apply. The current stacking software of choice for most people is Zerene stacker

http://zerenesystems.com/stacker/

to do stacking pics you really need some serious equipment to take the pics in the stack.

for a place to go to learn start here populated by some of the greatest photomacrographers out there.

http://photomacrography.net/

zac

Likes Dirt
This one's a bit soft, but I still like it

And I like the sort of faded old photo feel in this one (both are straight out of camera, the second using a blue filter)

Been watching your pics with interest. From an art point of veiw they are great but they would be sooo much more interesting if you could see more of the insect. When you work with such a shallow DOF you need to be acutely aware of how parallel to the insect you are to maximise the piece of the insect in focus. I am about to start some stacking and was given some pointers from a friend of mine that has taken all the pics for the moths online of Australia

http://www.ento.csiro.au/anic/moths.html

Obviously it is easier to shoot dead than alive but the same principles apply. The current stacking software of choice for most people is Zerene stacker

http://zerenesystems.com/stacker/

to do stacking pics you really need some serious equipment to take the pics in the stack.

for a place to go to learn start here populated by some of the greatest photomacrographers out there.

http://photomacrography.net/
I have been struggling with such a small DOF and just today tried some focus stacking. I did it hand held which probably didn't help me too much and subsequently, it turned out pretty crap. I might have a go with a tripod and see what happens. But I guess it will also come with experience, as with the rest of my photos.

Thanks heaps for your tips and comments. I'll make sure to check out those links and hopefully I will have something truly spectacular in the not too distant future.

hubbie

Forever 1,337
Next semester I'm taking on an engineering internship at PRTechnology in Brookvale. Same place Alan worked last semester. Essentially a Porsche race car preparer/builder/manager. Super excited for that! They gave me the opportunity to work on their first Tarmac Rally at Wakefield on Friday, as official timekeeper. Had a ball, and got to carry my camera around too, so fired off some shots while I was at it. Heres a few from the set. More on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37901455@N08/sets/72157624322632006/

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Lewis, kinda very jealous of you and Alan. Get to spend time with beautiful machines. Sounds like a dream job.

I thought I'd share this photo, because it doesn't make much sense at all, and it's kinda funny. Introducing:

The man
The machine
The legend...

Matt Whitmore.

Warning: This photo contains excessive levels of awesome

Last edited:

hotazell

Likes Dirt
I have been struggling with such a small DOF and just today tried some focus stacking. I did it hand held which probably didn't help me too much and subsequently, it turned out pretty crap. I might have a go with a tripod and see what happens. But I guess it will also come with experience, as with the rest of my photos.

Thanks heaps for your tips and comments. I'll make sure to check out those links and hopefully I will have something truly spectacular in the not too distant future.
You will not be able to take photos accurately enough to stack them handheld so don't bother you'll only be disappointed. Use a solid tripod and a macro slider at least with graduations on the slider so you can increment each photo equally. If your DOF is 0.3mm then you ideally need to move +/- 0.2 each increment to get overlap then let the software sort the stack out. Same as stitching a panorama but just on the z axis rather than x or y if you know what I mean.Look at the photo site in the last link I sent . Most macro equipment is home built from bits and pieces. Catch the insect and setup your 'studio' in a more controlled environment. With the quality you getting now I am sure you will excel with a macro studio.Have a look at the site for setups and look at how you can setup what you already have to take the pics.

Last edited:

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,
I picked myself up a 50mm f1.4 yesterday and started playing around with it last night. I'm trying to learn as much as I can with my photography, I know it has a long way to go before I get anything like the shots you guys are producing. Any suggestions on this shot of my little boy? I don't have photoshop, although I'll be getting CS4 when I get my new computer after tax time, so it's straight off the camera.

Cheers

You will not be able to take photos accurately enough to stack them handheld so don't bother you'll only be disappointed. Use a solid tripod and a macro slider at least with graduations on the slider so you can increment each photo equally. If your DOF is 0.3mm then you ideally need to move +/- 0.2 each increment to get overlap then let the software sort the stack out. Same as stitching a panorama but just on the z axis rather than x or y if you know what I mean.Look at the photo site in the last link I sent . Most macro equipment is home built from bits and pieces. Catch the insect and setup your 'studio' in a more controlled environment. With the quality you getting now I am sure you will excel with a macro studio.Have a look at the site for setups and look at how you can setup what you already have to take the pics.
Thanks mate. Seems like I have a bit more to sort out. I'll have another look at that site and see what I can come up with. Thanks once again.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Hey guys, could i please get some feedback on this shot;
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?97869-The-Photo-Snob-Thread&p=2206075&viewfull=1#post2206075
and i'm on a different computer now, and it looks horrible on this computer i'm on (not my own) with too much yellow. or is it just this monitor?

and also here is another, i'd really appreciate the feedback guys. :)
**snippage**
Yellow? Maybe...me thinks it's a little too warm. I'm not a fan of the shot, but I'm guessing it wasn't staged and therefore you were shooting on the fly, so it can be forgiven for not getting the whole of the sandboard in the shot. Sky looks well exposed with only a couple of blown out bits on his skin and the board. Good job there.

Edit: feedback was for the current shot. lol But the same can be said for the original post.

Last edited: