The Photo Snob Thread

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
went for a wander around mt. dandenong national park after all the rain we've had, got a bit leeched, worth it though :)

Sam.

Eats Squid
I don't get it. I also don't read bike rags much. It is a spread, yeah? Your pic?
Regardless, it's a sick capture of someone apparently proving that push bike tyres in fact have much more grip that I was lead to believe by my own exploration of the matter.
Yeah preview of issue 22 of [R]. My words and pics (including the one of the water splashing in his face). Last I heard the article was at six pages, but I'm not too sure if thats how it finished. Either way I'm pretty keen to see it, spent ages on the article. Also agree, that kid has game... mind=blown.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I like it Jase but I think you need to go 1) wider or 2) vertical 3) stitched pano as I'm left wanting to see more. Very good control of the water :)

Man thats sick. What settings were they one. Im looking at doing a lot more slow shutter speed for year 12 but mine never turn out right. Always over exposed.
Anything over a few seconds should create sufficient 'blur' in the water. The problem is however actually getting your shutter down that low in broad daylight as you are physically limited by how far you can stop down your aperture/drop your ISO which is where it sounds like you're going wrong.

If you have your ISO as low as you can, and your aperture closed to f/22 or smaller and you're not getting a shutter speed low enough to create blur, then you want to be looking at acquiring a set of ND filters (essentially dark glass that cover your lens and reduce the amount of light entering). Shooting on overcast days also helps as you don't have as much glare (especially from water on foliage) and will mean there is less light available.

Lastly, positioning and composition. It's easy to shoot a moving stream and it's likely that someone has done it before you anyways. Get yourself a good tripod and actually get in to the stream for a completely different perspective - something that's different and actually screams 'wow'! I've been photographing a few streams lately and had my camera barely inches off the water and it really does make the differences (note: invest in a good solid tripod before you attempt this).

Some of the best times to photograph waterfalls is actually in the rain so keep that one in mind.

Last edited:

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Awesome shots Jason. Love the composition and colours of the second one. I think you've got the exposure perfect in both.

Here's two from me. I headed out early yesterday to check out a location I wanted to shoot at next weekend for some portraits of a friend. I was shown one of the most stunning sunrises I've seen to date. Needless to say I'll be shooting there again next weekend. I just hope I can produce something good as I don't really have much experience doing portraits, I picked up a 42 inch 5 in 1 reflector set yesterday to help me with lighting along with my 430EXII and brolly box.

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Halp!

When I look at photos while editing in PS, it takes me an age to get my composition and sharpening right, then once it looks good in my PS window I save as -> jpeg, 10 yadda yadda. But looking at the photo in windows photo + fax viewer the colours seem a little dull (yellowy) and it is definitely less sharp. However, once uploaded to flickr/etc they 'seem' better, not completely sure. Am I doing something wrong or is Windows photo viewer thingy? Help me and my misguided confusion!

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Shots are looking really good Craig, first one is the shiz.

Definately got to get me a new monitor, was using an Apple Cinema Display all weekend and the difference from my screen was noticable.

Last edited:

tre0001

Likes Dirt
Karnige182 if you dont mind sharing did you take those at olinda falls or the other set.? forgot the name haha.

from my trip up to gerroa in NSW more coming later.

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
This guy surprised the absolute shit out of me. Was hiding under a towel. Just got my camera back from a few weeks, had to try take some shots. Put him in the fridge for 10 minutes or so, was incredibly easy to shoot after that.

I didn't really have anything in mind when I shot though, so it was more of a snapshot. I think I should have perched the spider up a little more so I could get a lower angle, make it look a bit more menacing?? Also, what do they eat? Would make for a more interesting photo next time to see it munging some other poor insect down. I'd already let him out into the garden by the time I thought of the angle thing though since I wasn't sure how much they enjoy being fridge cooled repeatedly.

I'll have a go at making one of those snoot things like you did Pete, before another one pops up around the house somewhere. Any other C&C would be nice.

Also, what's up with that purple tinted shadow??

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Karnige182 if you dont mind sharing did you take those at olinda falls or the other set.? forgot the name haha.
Yeah these were at Olinda falls :)

Shots look good too man! I think I need to get out to the beach soon! :p

On that note, does anyone know if there are ND400 or ND1000 filters available for 82mm? I have only found a kenko 82mm ND400, the rest are grad ND from ND2 to ND400, which i'm really not keen on.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
So, seeing as everyone is posting seascapes I'll post one too..

Also, borrowed a friends 85mm 1.2 L ..... holy shit I want that lens! Would sell my kidney for one if I could.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Hey guys,

Unfortunately the time has come to sell my beloved 70-200 f/4L IS. :( I have to pay off some debts and this lens just isn't getting enough use. I plan to replace it ASAP, but for the moment she has to go. The lens is ridiculously sharp through all apertures (some say the sharpest 70-200 model Canon offers), has image stabilisation which works wonders in the dark, and lightning quick AF. It's in great condition and comes with box, carry bag, lens hood and front and rear lens caps. I'm disappointed to sell this lens as it's been amazing to use, and would like it to go to someone who'll love it equally as much.

For Sale: Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM - $1050