The Photo Snob Thread

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
hehe, yeah... that button isn't working... :S But spell check usually fixes it for me.

I hae this problem whenever I've used it. I'll run it in aperture mode with ISO about 200, shutter aries.
For the actual shoot it'll be both indoors and out and so there'll be quite large differences in light hence me wanting a way to be able to use 1.4 if I need to.

Edit: The problem's not shutter speed being too low and getting blur but haing a too shallow depth of field that it's hard to pinpoint focus
If your shutter is correct and your still not getting pin sharp images, i would say the lens isn't good at 1.4. My lens sucks at 2.8 and is pin sharp at 7.1 lol i always take my flash. Try the 1.8 at 1.8 and see if its sharper and then try the 1.4 at 1.8 and compare. Or buy a new lens?

wombat

Lives in a hole
Would be exactly what I wanted without this branch
So 'shop it out?
Personally I reckon you could crop it a little tighter, and a bit more seperation bewteen the rider and the trees in the BG would be awesome, but that's going to be difficult to fix in post; something like a rim light probably would've helped though.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So 'shop it out?
Personally I reckon you could crop it a little tighter, and a bit more seperation bewteen the rider and the trees in the BG would be awesome, but that's going to be difficult to fix in post; something like a rim light probably would've helped though.
Looks like a pretty hard branch to shop out? I might give it a go when I get home, cloning isn't something I'm great with though! :(

I felt the tighter crop kind of cut out a little bit to much for me, I didn't like cutting out to much of the scene, and as much ultimately made the decision to cop the branch :eek:

freeride-freak

Likes Dirt
Ok so haven't posted in a while, i took these two at some abandoned factories in mittagong and was happy with them. i'm thinking of using the first shot for my photography major works representing depression. any opinions on whether the image is suitable?

wombat

Lives in a hole
So aside from a couple of snaps of my bike, I haven't really picked up a camera or anything related in a few months. It's actually taken a kick up the arse from a mate/client who wants his shots to get me started again.

They only need processing, but I was having some trouble getting from the capture to the image I'd originally pictured in my mind, prior to shooting. Part of that I think was down to some limitations during shooting, caused by both locations and my skill (or lack of), and the rest of it was some sort of lack of detail in the aim I guess.

Ever look at a shot, and see in your mind what you want, but when you try and focus on the details, and what actually needs altering, it all gets a bit fuzzy?
That's what I had.

Seems like some time away from it did some good though, I think they're coming together pretty well (with a couple of exceptions). Now I just need to get the 'important' ones out of the way, so I can get onto the shot that I really want to do! Maybe some sickies are in order...

Cool story, ay?

Drew.

Eats Squid
Well, yesterday was a failure of a day; was supposed to shoot a pool with my friend, but instead he had to visit the hospital. So we came home for a bit then went out to do some stuff. By the time i fought through Brisbane afternoon traffic we'd lost most of our day, so we ended up going to one of my mates old, and very sketchy backyard ramp setups and took a few quick snaps. This one, i'm not particulary happy with, at all; though i thought i'd share anyway. I'm never stoked with night-time shots, i can never get them to turn out.

I'm not sure if i've already posted this next one or not. The guy in the picture (Drew Snr.) gave me a text at about 7:30 in the evening while it was freezing outside asking if i wanted to shoot a rail, i explained not really at night, but it's hard to get at during the day, so we went ahead and gave it a go! after some disruptions we finally got to shoot it, and this was the result. Again, not overly happy. :(

Last edited:

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I like the first much more the second, but the shadow on the face kills it for me. Not that it would've been that easy to get rid of as he's basically sticking his head in the front wheel, but it just takes away from the shot overall in my opinion. Also, a rim from camera right could've helped separate him a little more. Hindsight is a brilliant thing, right?

The processing is dope though...very moody.

2nd definitely isn't my cup of tea. While the trick is rad, it looks like you've just flashed the fuck out of the scene. The rider isn't separated anywhere near enough so the rider blends into the background, the composition is pretty bland and doesn't look all that well thought out, and overall it's just messy. A cool facebook photo, but definitely no portfolio shot.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Would be exactly what I wanted without this branch;

*Snap*

Oh well, looks cool in the lightbox anyway
Sorry to be harsh dude, but I don't think removing the branch either whilst shooting or in post would've made a huge amount of difference - it's about the smallest thing wrong with this shot. Overall, the photo has a bunch of things wrong with it...composition is non-existent, you've gone to town with the flash, you can't see the riders face or where he's going (not that this is an absolute necessity but it has to be done correctly to work), and while he stands out from the background it's more because of his kit rather than your photography...like Drew's photo above, it needs more separation in the form of a rim light. This is purely my opinion, but i'd bin it and try again...

Drew.

Eats Squid
I like the first much more the second, but the shadow on the face kills it for me. Not that it would've been that easy to get rid of as he's basically sticking his head in the front wheel, but it just takes away from the shot overall in my opinion. Also, a rim from camera right could've helped separate him a little more. Hindsight is a brilliant thing, right?

There was actually a light to the right there, though it was shielded so it wouldn't intrude on the photo so a lot of its effect was lost. It's a very tight/uneasy place to work in! ahah.

The processing is dope though...very moody.

Thanks. It seems to be the only way I can get night-time shots to actually work by making them moody. I dislike it.

2nd definitely isn't my cup of tea. While the trick is rad, it looks like you've just flashed the fuck out of the scene. The rider isn't separated anywhere near enough so the rider blends into the background, the composition is pretty bland and doesn't look all that well thought out, and overall it's just messy. A cool facebook photo, but definitely no portfolio shot.

Couldn't agree with you more, and no way in hell would it be getting close to portfolio. I'd love the opportunity to shoot this again, even late arvo with a bit of ambient!

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Ok so haven't posted in a while, i took these two at some abandoned factories in mittagong and was happy with them. i'm thinking of using the first shot for my photography major works representing depression. any opinions on whether the image is suitable?
Those factories are rad, huh? Andrew (Unlearn) and I headed down there this time last year - it was bloody freezing but well worth it in terms of photographic usability.

With regards to your photos, I think the 2nd is nice, but neither really represent 'depression' in any way. Whilst the first definitely conveys it in a way, there are a few elements that need to be tweaked before i'd consider it a worthy major work image.

Firstly, composition. Depression in my mind means loneliness, neglect, desertion, abandonment. You've got the location right in all of those ways, but you've failed to use it in this shot. By focussing solely on the human in the photo, don't you think it says "this guy is my subject and I am photographing him for my depression campaign", rather than letting the image speak for itself? The guy clearly has a flash pointed straight at him which again says "this is my subject and I am showing you that he is depressed". Without spelling it out completely, I don't think you've put enough thought into how to represent depression through your photo - sure, his body language suggests it but it needs a well thought out, well lit shot to make a nice overall package.

Also, speaking of lighting, there isn't enough balance between flash and ambient light, and while I know there's fuck all ambient in the place, you'd be better of grabbing a tripod and dragging your shutter. Not much, just enough to show the scene rather than having it very dark with a bright subject. After all, you've gone to a rad location so it seems a shame not to utilise it more...

I know my last two posts have potentially come off as a little rough, but i've seen way better work from both of you guys, and I don't believe any of the photos posted on the last page really show your true ability.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry to be harsh dude, but I don't think removing the branch either whilst shooting or in post would've made a huge amount of difference - it's about the smallest thing wrong with this shot. Overall, the photo has a bunch of things wrong with it...composition is non-existent, you've gone to town with the flash, you can't see the riders face or where he's going (not that this is an absolute necessity but it has to be done correctly to work), and while he stands out from the background it's more because of his kit rather than your photography...like Drew's photo above, it needs more separation in the form of a rim light. This is purely my opinion, but i'd bin it and try again...
Thanks Tristan :) as usual no need for apologies, it's always good to get different opinions on photos. Especially in a thread like this where there seems to be so many different styles of photography that get thrown around by everyone!

Gonna try and put together a downhill video this Saturday, no photos just some filming. Should be a bit of fun :D

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Just my luck. My only day off this week and it rains.

Got out all the fifties this afternoon.

From L to R: Ai 50mm f/2, AF 50mm f/1.8D, AF 50mm f/1.4D, Ai 50mm f/1.2
Also have a 55mm f/3.5 macro laying around somewhere.

Wish I didn't shoot it so tight.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Very Nice photos guys!
I just had a question, would this speedlite transmitter (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/164264-REG/Canon_2478A002_ST_E2_Speedlite_Transmitter.html) allow me to set up this 430EX (http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/For-You/Speedlites/430EXII) or 320EX (http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/For-You/Speedlites/320EX) as a wireless flash, with a Canon EOS 60D?
Thanks heaps in advance.
"Compatible Canon Speedlites 420EX, 430EX, 430EXII, 550EX, 580EX and 580EX" I think the 320 might work. It does have an infrared capability. But I htink you can shoot remotely from the camera already without the ST-E2.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
here's one I shot in landscape from darling harbor, I like it, except for that sign.

is it possible to clone (mask/delete/make less annoying) something like that?

skidz and wheelies! by rohan batt, on Flickr

actually i think it need more cropping off the right anyway

alexx23

Likes Dirt
here's one I shot in landscape from darling harbor, I like it, except for that sign.

is it possible to clone (mask/delete/make less annoying) something like that?

skidz and wheelies! by rohan batt, on Flickr

actually i think it need more cropping off the right anyway
Did a VERY quick job of it in bed on my macbooks trackpad. More effort and it would be good.

at first i was cloning out the sign on the pole, then just ditched the pole, ha.

Also, it does need tightening on the right hand side. And next time take a step to your right, i can tell to get the rider to the left of the frame you have angled the camera kinda to the right, and its annoying, next time, straighten up.

I am very picky when it comes to camera angle, it wrecks a great shot for me, every time. I am trying myself to take more notice of camera angle, and trying to avoid distortion when shooting at wide angles in particular. This for me has really been the biggest technical challenge getting it right, i need to be more fussy when i shoot, cause i always hate my self later.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks alex, I was also trying to clone out just the sign, with poor results to say the least.

actually thinking about it now, if I had shot this same shot from further to my right I may have been able to cut the sign out anyway, right?

going shooting again tomorrow :)

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
No worries mate. Yeah I shoot with a Canon 35mm f/2 so I know what you mean regarding finding the balance between those elements, just takes practice. Its the same for anything though, there is always a trade off where you can generally have 2 of 3 things you might want and you just have to prioritise depending on the type of shot you are trying to get.

Looking through all my photos, most of the time my lens is wide open at f/2 is when its really low light and I'm trying to capture a whole scene that's a couple of metres away, as opposed to a portrait of an individual person. In no way can I take a good portrait, but funnily enough, what I consider to be my best portrait was taken at f/2 :p
Sound like you may have scored with that portrait then! Sometimes I think photography can be alot about chance; It has often been the case with me, although now im finding that with more experience, my shots are starting to get better and im deleting way less haha. So im stoked; just putting in a it more time makes all the difference to learning and also the quality of your shots.

So I took a few more shots of the elusive Charlie. Overexposed, but I think that the focus is becoming better. I have began focussing in on the eyes which is great advice, makes a huge difference to the overall composition..

Charlie IV Lo Res.jpg

FX glass isn't necessarily 'better' than DX - if you buy a good DX lens like the 12-24 or the 17-55, the lens is as every bit as good as an FX equivalent but it's a large investment for a piece of kit that will suddenly become useless should you upgrade to FX. This is the main reason people opt for non-DX glass as a matter of course, just in case.

The vignetting on the 70-200 f/2.8 VR is only subtle on FX - to the uninformed, you wouldn't even know it were there. Shoot wide open at the sky however and it becomes more apparent. As I said before, because the DX image circle is smaller than that of FX, you're effectively cropping all the corner and edge anomalies that would otherwise be visible in the FX frame. This is the reason why FX glass typically performs better on a DX body.

From what I have read, Nikon has started to make higher performance lenses specifically for the increasingly popular DX format market, but like you mentioned there is no point to buying these if your planning on moving to full frame in the future.. so the smart money is on buying FX lenses then.

The 70-200 f/2.8 obviously benefits from an internal 'AF-S' focus motor in addition to VR which is something the 80-200 f/2.8 lacks. The 80-200 f/2.8 is also a much older lens which explains much of the price difference.

The prices you're quoting seem very low - I'd be aiming to inspect all these examples if possible as I have my doubts as to their condition. I may be able to source a 80-200 f/2.8D for you that a mate purchased and now doesn't need. Exterior is pretty banged up but the glass is all flawless (he replaced the front element).

Whilst the AF-D and AF-S 80-200 f/2.8 lenses are excellent in their own right, I find the addition of VR on the 70-200 f/2.8 indispensable. Obviously the 70-200 f/2.8 VR II is a whole new level of awesome but in the mean time, the VR will suffice perfectly.

I think that I may have become confused between the 80-200 f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8 actually. I have been primarily looking at the older 80-200 f/2.8 AF, which I can get second hand for about $700.00. I was looking at the newer 70-200 f/2.8 VRI and that was the one that had been to hell and back, hence the stupid low price. I think that the VRII may be overkill for someone of my skill level! so perhaps the older 80-200 may be a better lens to learn on for the time being.

So you consider there are significant performance differences between the VR I and VR II and non-VR models? Friends I have spoken to swear by the 80-200, and Nikon still makes them, so guess they have to be ok.. It seems as though the biggest differences are in the handling of them; with the 80-200 you generally have to use a tripod due to weight and being non-VR, whereas the newer VR models can be used without a tripod.

Thanks again for the advice!

Just my luck. My only day off this week and it rains.

Got out all the fifties this afternoon.

From L to R: Ai 50mm f/2, AF 50mm f/1.8D, AF 50mm f/1.4D, Ai 50mm f/1.2

Fark what a nice collection you have there! That 50mm f/1.2 is pretty nuts! - how does that thing go?

Well on your advice I ended-up buying the 50mm f/1.4D, which is currently on its way to Sydney! Very excited to get my hands on it. As you mentioned a 50mm isn't that wide/wide enough for landscape photography so ive also been looking the 24mm 2.8 and the 20mm 2.8; both seem to be pretty good lenses, but I would like to go wider! - just the expense really..

Cheers,

Ben

Last edited: