The Photo Snob Thread

freeride-freak

Likes Dirt
Yo, i did a shoot a few days ago for a girls modelling portfolio. First go of using my "home studio" setup which consists of a roll-down awning as the backdrop, a soft box and two umbrellas with speed lights.

And a couple from location:

Keen to get my photos looking more professional so C&C would be good :)

The photos are hosted on Facebook so the quality and size looks strange...

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
heres a blast from the past, nothing like letting down your tires in anticipation of a massive snow storm :) It sort of sucks in comparison to the shots being posted here lately, but as I don't really shoot anymore and I felt like having a play with a shot its the best I can conjure up.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Yo, i did a shoot a few days ago for a girls modelling portfolio. First go of using my "home studio" setup which consists of a roll-down awning as the backdrop, a soft box and two umbrellas with speed lights.

Keen to get my photos looking more professional so C&C would be good :)

The photos are hosted on Facebook so the quality and size looks strange...
I like these, the last two are the best but would have been alot better if shot with just natural light. Great work though :)

Few from last night, oh man..

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Sweet photos guys, I'm loving all of them on this page.

free-ride freak. you woundnt be a photographer for 'The Music People' would you?

freeride-freak

Likes Dirt
Sweet photos guys, I'm loving all of them on this page.

free-ride freak. you woundnt be a photographer for 'The Music People' would you?
I've got a contract with "GetMusic", but they haven't really given me any jobs in the last couple of months.. sucks!

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^ voted.

Ok, after a long break from photography I'm looking at getting a new camera and getting back into it.

I've got some canon gear lying about already, so that decides what I body I get. (nikon smells anyway)

I'm looking at spending about a grand on the body, which places me in 60D territory. What's the argument for spending a bit more and getting a 7D? Or going for a second hand 7D? How much do second hand 5Dmk2's go for?

Then I need a new lens or two,
Right now I've got:
50 f/1.8
tammy 28-80 F/3.5-5.6 (not the greatest, but got it for $10 in japan!)
tammy 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 (slow as hell, and a little broken).

What's everyone's thoughts on going with a kit full of primes? I didn't mind being stuck with just the 50 when I use to take photos. What's a nice wide prime? In the $500ish range.

Hope that reads alright.

EDIT: and having not been in this thread for more than a year, it's amazing to see where the quality is now! Shit has improved!

Last edited:

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
G'day g-fish, I won't comment too much on the bodies, but the main differences will be functionality, more AF points, and faster fps... things like that. I don't think you'll pull blindingly better images from the 7D, so my advice would be to think about what you'll be using it for and would the extra functions of the 7D be worth the extra coin.

As for wide primes, I used to have a 20mm f2.8, and I'd rate it as good. It had a small blue/purple colour shift, and on APS-H or full frame vignetting was pretty heavy wide open. The lens was generally sharp though, and I was glad to have it in my kit. Also it can be had for $300-400 second hand or $500-600 new.

I havn't been able to get on here much in the last months, things have been pretty hectic leading up to my wedding. It was a truely amazing experience though, and i'm stoked.

Now thats it's all over, i'm looking forward to spending more time behind the lens. I didn't get the camera out too often, but here's a couple of photo's I got while in Vanuatu...

Hope your all having a good one!

Andrew

Last edited:

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dick Smith memory card reader... 30 bucks

Ebay memory card reader... 6 bucks with free delivery

Me needing one for my new laptop before I move to Brisbane on Saturday? :mmph:

On that note, who's from Brissy in here? haha

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When ever there is a timeline to have something by, and the choice is eBay or in a store, always go in a store.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
G-fish, I have a 550d, goes good, I think better lenses would make more of a difference then a better body?

Unlearn - EPIC!

mr_casual

Likes Dirt
Been travelling around the margret river area of WA.

Glad I didn't bring the bike, there is shit all mountains here. haha.

Thought these where okay, but there is more i haven't been over yet.