The Photo Snob Thread

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
This is very nice Angus! Any chance that there's a colour version? i'm curious how it compares.

A photo...

Last edited:

boney

Likes Dirt
Ohhh so THAT'S what I have to do to post up my worst photos! I've been WAITING for something like this to come along so I can show the world all the crap I don't want anyone to see!

http://www.alesserphotographerbook.com/a_lesser_photographer.pdf. Go and read chapter 7, and then please, please, grasp the idea that displaying your worst photos is doing absolutely nothing for you. At all. Your 16 year old friends might think they're awesome and make up those 25 likes you get on Facebook for an image, but that's really not an indication of anything except their incompetence and your low standards for yourself. Posting shit photos is doing nothing but ruining and commoditising photography.

Additionally, don't be so naive to think that just because Tumblr may not seem like a 'professional' platform that potential clients won't see it. Everything on the internet is seen by a potential client, friend, relative, or complete stranger...what makes you think your Tumblr is any more discreet than a website or regular blog?

Tristian,

You have posted technically bad photo's on here before looking for feedback even though you knew there was major issues with them, now you seem to think you are a professional photography god who has the right to talk down to everyone who posts an image that you don't like.

Everyone has a different style and what appeals to you will not appeal to others. You need to realise that not everyone wants to make a business from taking photo's and be constructive instead of a jerk.

Peace,

Luke

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Taken from your blog..
" there are also a bunch of aspiring photographers who may never earn anything from it, and I don't think they should feel anything less than complete happiness that they get to take photos and capture memories. When I look through my website, nearly all the photos I see were taken on my own time. My favorites were taken with minimal gear and have never seen the inside of a magazine, brochure or commercial website. They were created out of love for photography, and when I took them I wasn't looking for a salable item. My favorite photographs are the ones I loved taking. And that, to me, is the definition of success."

What is wrong with Alex taking photo's that he [hopefully] loved to take and obviously likes?
I'm not saying that the work he posts there is his best (why is there even a 'best' photo - why not 'favourite?'), but like Oliver said, if he likes to take them, and likes the result, then what is the problem?
How can you argue for 'ruining and commoditising' photography? Who set the standard for photography for Alex to ruin? And what bar do you then set on all images you take? If you can't compete with someone like Ansel Adams then why bother at all?

As for commoditising - how is Alex creating a tumblr commoditising photography? I am assuming you mean the act of making a photo a commodity - something to trade in a marketplace. Clearly this is not what he is aiming for with his tumblr, so why use this argument? And then, is 'commoditising' photography really a new or bad thing? People have been selling photos for years, is that not 'commoditising' photography? Your website states that all your images are for sale and may not be taken or used without consent from you. That is turning the pictures that you have taken into a commodity.
And then you argue that he should be wary when posting images because of the potential that future clients may see them...? ironic?

(I am not arguing against your website or what you do with your photography, just the argument against Alex "commoditising and ruining" photograhy).

And Leitch, your argument is irrelevant. What Alex and you regard as nice are completely different things. I may look at images you post on your photostream as bland - perfect exposure, contrast - "controlled". Don't make insults where they are not necessary.

Anyway, at risk of getting drilled for underdeveloped, low contrast processing, here is an image that I loved taking of a tree that I loved to photograph. This is exactly how I want to remember this moment, from yesterday morning, Mary's peak, OR.
Sweet, so now you've addressed points I didn't make in my response to Alex, go back and check out the original post I was replying to, and maybe have a read of my response again while you're at it:

Everyone should make one, I know some have cool proper blogs, but with tumblr you can post any shit you take. And not have to worry about potential clients viewing.
As you quite correctly quoted from my blog, I am all for people taking photos because they enjoy taking photos. That doesn't mean (and nowhere have I said) I think everyone should post their shit photos for the sake of it. I have hundreds of gigabytes of photos I loved taking, but in no way does that mean the rest of the world is going to somehow "feel" my enjoyment when they look at them and therefore think they're good photos. In the same way your underexposed photo of two trees on a hillside does absolutely nothing for me, no matter how much you loved taking it, and no matter how much good I try to see in it. Photography is all about you (the photographer), right up until the moment you decide to share the photo with a much broader audience, at which point it becomes about that audience...if you post a shit photo - I repeat, a shit photo - and think that because you enjoyed taking it, it becomes, or should be seen as, a good photo, you have much to learn. Why not write an amazing story painting a far more incredible picture of the whole scenario, rather than posting up a mediocre photo that does your experience no justice at all? Oh, that's right, because having a non-consequential Tumblr allows one the easy route to leaving ones nice little mark on the world! Yayyyy!

alexx23

Likes Dirt
I wasn't going to bother replying to all this.

Tristan, my point is, It is really enjoyable on a personal level to look back through your own photos. AndIthink that having a tumblr is a good way to do so.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys, interested in getting some remote flashes for mainly using for park/street shooting. Any suggestions? preferably as cheap as possible haha. To be used with a 550d.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Tristian,

You have posted technically bad photo's on here before looking for feedback even though you knew there was major issues with them, now you seem to think you are a professional photography god who has the right to talk down to everyone who posts an image that you don't like.

Everyone has a different style and what appeals to you will not appeal to others. You need to realise that not everyone wants to make a business from taking photo's and be constructive instead of a jerk.

Peace,

Luke
Luke,

I was responding to a post telling everyone to create a Tumblr as it's a great way to share their shit photos with no repercussions.

If you can't handle the fact your photos are shit or that people tell you that, get better. I posted very few photos in my first years of learning how to take photos, and I didn't need to whinge that the world was harsh when people told me that they sucked. I simply got better because yes, deep down I knew they could be improved upon. I brought myself UP to a higher standard, rather than asking the world to stoop DOWN to my level to make myself feel better.

I'm not a professional photographer. I am someone who has worked hard and been highly critical of myself and my photography, and this is why I now have a reasonable level of ability. I also very rarely talk down to people who post images I don't like - I talk down to people who have ideas that are illogical and stupid.

The argument that "everyone has a different style" is as flawed as they come - a good photo is a good photo in any language, as is a shit photo. I may not listen to heavy metal, read poetry or have a renaissance painting hanging on my wall but I can still respect the fact Led Zeppelin, Sylvia Plath and Leonardo da Vinci have created amazing, awe-inspiring pieces of work in their respective fields. Their styles are all different to mine, but I don't diss them. Why? Because their work isn't shit. If your work is good, no matter what 'style' it is, or what it's a photo of, i'll respect it. If it's terrible or boring, no matter what the style, i'll say that.

"Peace",

Tristan (It has no 'i'...)

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Hey guys, interested in getting some remote flashes for mainly using for park/street shooting. Any suggestions? preferably as cheap as possible haha. To be used with a 550d.
Buy a couple of Cactus KF36's from Gadget Infinity. They're a bit bulky, but they're cheap, and for riding photography where there's a likely chance of them being knocked over/smashed they'll do the trick and won't cost a packet to replace. Grab a couple of Cactus V5 triggers to go with them and you'll be set. Should cost you about $250 all up for two flashes, two receivers and a trigger.

Ek155

Likes Dirt
Sweet, so now you've addressed points I didn't make in my response to Alex, go back and check out the original post I was replying to, and maybe have a read of my response again while you're at it:

As you quite correctly quoted from my blog, I am all for people taking photos because they enjoy taking photos. That doesn't mean (and nowhere have I said) I think everyone should post their shit photos for the sake of it. I have hundreds of gigabytes of photos I loved taking, but in no way does that mean the rest of the world is going to somehow "feel" my enjoyment when they look at them and therefore think they're good photos. In the same way your underexposed photo of two trees on a hillside does absolutely nothing for me, no matter how much you loved taking it, and no matter how much good I try to see in it. Photography is all about you (the photographer), right up until the moment you decide to share the photo with a much broader audience, at which point it becomes about that audience...if you post a shit photo - I repeat, a shit photo - and think that because you enjoyed taking it, it becomes, or should be seen as, a good photo, you have much to learn. Why not write an amazing story painting a far more incredible picture of the whole scenario, rather than posting up a mediocre photo that does your experience no justice at all? Oh, that's right, because having a non-consequential Tumblr allows one the easy route to leaving ones nice little mark on the world! Yayyyy!
I guess I got sidetracked with the whole 'shoot what and how you want' thing, it wasn't addressing the issue at hand. That was more a response to Leitch's remarks.

Tristan, I was mainly trying to address your remarks in your middle paragraph about "ruining and commoditising" photography that you made. Which I did and you did not respond to. I just don't feel that anyone sharing a memory or moment of theirs, wherever they want to, is "ruining and commoditising" photography (whether it be a terrible underexposed photo or a dodgy film photo). I just found that specific comment out of line. Where do you stop? Is everyone posting pictures on facebook now "ruining and commoditising" photography? Because in my opinion it is the same as a tumblr (almost).

I don't share my photos in here often anymore because I stopped caring about how 'good' they were and just started shooting for fun. This is also why I have started shooting with film more. Now I find when I go places I do have more fun, and I enjoy the place I am in more rather than setting up the photo or clicking away on my digital at every potential shot.
If I want to share them on my flickr/tumblr I don't see a problem - it is only my close friends or 'contacts' who are likely to see them anyway and to me this doesn't matter, because I don't care if everyone sees them. I enjoy the possibility that my friends/family will see the photo have the possibility of liking them.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I get where Alex is coming from where he says 'post up all your shit' to tumblr. I don't think he meant he was putting up all photo's that he thought were 'shit'. Because clearly he has put effort into them.
I think it is just a more relaxed/personal setting into which you can share personal favourites.
By posting it up here it looks as if he was saying "Hey, this is a good site to share personal favourites rather than worry about how your photo is going to be judged".

I don't know. I was mainly just put off by the 'ruining and commoditising'.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey Tristan i think you might be showing your age? the word shit used in the way alex used it doesn't usually mean 'shit'

but you'd know that right?

premium

Squid
Last edited:

patto_15

Wheel size expert
I haven't been shooting that much recently which sucks, and when I do i don't seem to be shooting good shots that I generally like. I've kind of come to the habit also with my riding shots, thanks to Cooper at Focal Point BMX, once I shoot a photo, straight away or after a week or two, I send them off to where ever.. If I don't hear back, I send them somewhere else and then if they don't want them either, I put them on the net. The main part of this habit is, I don't want old riding shots in new issues. When Cooper starts putting together the next issue of Focalpoint, he always requests all the shots to be done recently or since the last mag was released, keeps things fresh and up to date and new.

Anyways, here is a shot that didn't make the cut.. Sadly also, as I thought it was good and I liked it.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
This is what I was talking about earlier:

re-usable silica gel moisture absorber, about $9

Grab a couple and stick one in your camera bag kids.

Don't want to sound spammy so just google for it.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Luke,
a good photo is a good photo in any language, as is a shit photo.
This is incorrect. It's not maths. Your photos represent one style of photography. But there are a reason why they're not on the wall of everyones house. There are no absolutes. You'd be a better photographer if you understood less about photography and more about people.

Luke,

"Peace",

Tristan (It has no 'i'...)
now now, no need to sound like a douche

saMfish

Likes Dirt
I guess I'll start the new page with photo instead of flame.

Oh, and James, not quite sure how that photo didn't make the cut. I love the empty sky. Did you have another/others that made it in?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I seem to recall about 100 pages back, that photo that sold for a lot of money. It was a shit photo and it certainly commoditized photography.

Just so people know, I'm fence sitting this argument!

Patto, farkin awesomeness in the form of a photo!:fat:

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
Wow, haven't been here in a lonnnng time... there's some killer images gracing these pages but holy cow, way too much photo-bitching/whinging/e-dick measuring....
Maybe I'll come back in another few months/years!

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Interior of Gallipoli Mosque in Auburn, Sydney. My white-balance PP needs some work.