The Photo Snob Thread

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
It's one of the worst things I've ever seen. He looks like a male stripper who got lost in a field walking home from a big night out.
Looks like one of those creeps who hang out at the car park under the Westgate where the crits are held.
Particularly with the grundies showing.
I think the model needs some work..
10 characters.

Nettheim

Likes Dirt
Holy shit, I can't believe this thread is still going! Especially with some of the posters from way back. It's great to see how for everyone has progressed!

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, im looking for a downhill event to go to in Sydney to film and photograph. Ive always been very keen to make a downhill mountain bike video but none of my mates are into downhill anymore. Are there any races that i can just rock up to and film then upload up to here? Cheers.

Andrew Benson

Likes Dirt
A few from the past week

Getting wild on the scooter!

Getting Wild by Andrew Kevin Benson, on Flickr

Scootin by Andrew Kevin Benson, on Flickr

out filming for my FTV assignment ad

Serenity by Andrew Kevin Benson, on Flickr

Scoping lines by Andrew Kevin Benson, on Flickr

My new baby

2011 Devinci Wilson by Andrew Kevin Benson, on Flickr

And last but not least one from beeries but not of riding! Just off from the finish line is the woods and they have some pretty cool trees and texture on the ground so grabbed a shot and it turned out awesome! Cant wait to see what my film camera got of this aswell.

Trees by Andrew Kevin Benson, on Flickr

Newts

Likes Dirt
Fight night

A mate has asked if I can take some photo's of his 1st amateur boxing match next Friday at Cronulla Leagues.

Has anyone shot a boxing match before?
How high should I set the ISO - being indoors and overhead lighting.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A mate has asked if I can take some photo's of his 1st amateur boxing match next Friday at Cronulla Leagues.

ISO is always about getting it as low as possible, it's the last thing you want to resort to! depending on the camera, pushing it upwards of 1600-2000 is not going to be very pretty.

downhillar

Likes Dirt

Wouldn't that depend on your lens, aperture, shutter speed etc? Medium-ish would be my guess if the lighting is average. Assuming he's not in the first fight why don't you play around with your settings during other fights and see how it comes out? If it were me I'd just set my camera to shutter priority and let it sort the rest out :)

AngoXC

Wheel size expert

ISO should always be used strategically in order to maintain the 'cleanest' image possible. If you're using 'fast' lenses (those with large maximum apertures ie. 50mm f/1.4), and assuming the venue is relatively well lit, you should be able to get away with a relatively low ISO in order to maintain a shutter speed that is fast enough to arrest the movement of the competitors (this is ultimately your goal).

If your lenses aren't quite as fast (in terms of their max. aperture), you're going to have to increase your ISO to allow you to use a shutter speed to that is able to capture the competitors without subject blur or blur created by camera shake. Whilst digital noise is the bane of digital photography, I would sooner have a correctly-exposed-but-noisy image than one that was blurry or out of focus.

Remember, the slowest shutter speed that you can effectively use without encountering camera shake is the inverse of the focal length used. If you're using a 50mm lens then 1/50th of a second is going to be as slow as you can go without encountering significant handshake.

Good luck!

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Cheers mate.

Adding to the garage sale on here, I have decided to part ways with my Canon 50D. It is a genuine Aust stock with warranty until July next year.
Also comes with genuine Canon battery grip (doesn't come off due to over tightening, whoops). All boxes included too. $600 ono

Also if someone wants a lens for it I'll add in my 50mm f1.8 II with a Hoya HD CPL filter for an additional $120. The filter alone is worth that.
I've still got this gear sitting around if anyone is interested before it goes on ebay.
I'm also adding a Kenko Pro1D 77mm UV filter to the sale as I don't use it.

536844_10151287714866329_1217071229_n.jpg

390112_10151287715781329_1232322698_n.jpg

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Damn, if I had the cash spare I'd snap that up in an instant mate.

If it's still around by xmas time, stick up another post ;)

AngoXC

Wheel size expert

Absolute cracker of a camera - last of the 'XXD' prosumer series before they went plastic. You certainly won't be disappointed.

Craig, did you ever get to play with Magic Lantern on this?

CraigS

Likes Dirt

If it sells before then I'll update my post.

Absolute cracker of a camera - last of the 'XXD' prosumer series before they went plastic. You certainly won't be disappointed.

Craig, did you ever get to play with Magic Lantern on this?
Yeah Ango it has been a great camera but after upgrading I really can't see me needing it except for the rare need to run two bodies at once and the cash will come in handy for other toys I need :)
I did download the Magic Lantern firmware but haven't had time to try it as works been busy.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Just chasing some constructive criticism on the following image.

It was originally a reject due to the bride's face being too dark. A bit of playing brought it to this state but I'm not sure if I like it.

Thoughts?

8180797286_22aa1736cb.jpg

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Just chasing some constructive criticism on the following image.

It was originally a reject due to the bride's face being too dark. A bit of playing brought it to this state but I'm not sure if I like it.

Thoughts?
I like it, for the most part. The B+W conversion is nice, the backlighting and high-key look is nice, the contrast is nice, but the reason I don't like it, and why I don't think it works, is because of her pose. Namely the way she has her arms out in an odd way. It looks unnatural, and I can't get my head past that to enjoy the way the photo is technically very good.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
If it sells before then I'll update my post.

Yeah Ango it has been a great camera but after upgrading I really can't see me needing it except for the rare need to run two bodies at once and the cash will come in handy for other toys I need :)
I did download the Magic Lantern firmware but haven't had time to try it as works been busy.
My camera sold, thanks to those who showed interest but the first to actually view it paid cash on the spot :D