The Photo Snob Thread

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Used. If you can find what you want, definitely used, unless you're buying for work and want something like CPS.

Aside from little things like filters and triggers, I haven't bought anything new since my first camera.

Edit: and my 70-200 actually, but in hindsight I wish I got that used too, probably could have got the is version that way.
Depends where you are purchasing your gear really. If you are looking a the price of new gear from an Australia retail store and comparing it to second hand gear from ebay/the internetz or people who originally bought their gear online, then you are going to save a significant amount of money going second hand.

However, if you are open to buying new from Hong Kong, you are hardly going to save anything going second hand. For this reason I've bought every bit of camera equipment I own brand new. There have been countless examples I've come across in the past, but just looking on ebay now you can pick up a 5D Mark 3 new for around $3080, and there is a second hand one up there which is up to $2850. No brainer for me.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
I owned the 24-70 for about 12 months. I've also used a few of them. Excluding the recently released 24-70 mk2, as I've not used one yet, every copy Ive seen has serious CA issues, is soft (compared with many other lenses - zooms included), is heavy and just boring to use. for the price of a 24-70 mk2 you could have several primes that would do the job better.
Maybe wait till you use one before you pass judgement, My MK2 24-70 is epic on my MK3. And my sigma 50mm is soft and unreliable.. I hate it how you can pay for professional gear only to receive a mediocre copy. I hope i haven't misunderstood your comment and you're refereeing to the MK1 lol.

I wasn't really keen on the idea of one till i bought one, but now love every aspect of it.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Maybe wait till you use one before you pass judgement, My MK2 24-70 is epic on my MK3. And my sigma 50mm is soft and unreliable.. I hate it how you can pay for professional gear only to receive a mediocre copy. I hope i haven't misunderstood your comment and you're refereeing to the MK1 lol.

I wasn't really keen on the idea of one till i bought one, but now love every aspect of it.
Was referring to the mk1. Haven't used the new one yet! Have heard good things, however. I find the lens boring though (personal opinion) and prefer to use primes.

Which one? :decision:;-)
D600, duh.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Depends where you are purchasing your gear really. If you are looking a the price of new gear from an Australia retail store and comparing it to second hand gear from ebay/the internetz or people who originally bought their gear online, then you are going to save a significant amount of money going second hand.

However, if you are open to buying new from Hong Kong, you are hardly going to save anything going second hand. For this reason I've bought every bit of camera equipment I own brand new. There have been countless examples I've come across in the past, but just looking on ebay now you can pick up a 5D Mark 3 new for around $3080, and there is a second hand one up there which is up to $2850. No brainer for me.
Yeah, but you're comparing the cheapest new prices to ebay second hand, which is usually far from the cheapest. The product in question is also a bit of an exception as from what I've seen there's bugger all of them on the used market anyway. If you're buying new from HK you'll likely be dealing with international warranty support too, so I'd wonder if it's that much of an advantage over second hand. If you needed something fixed in a hurry your best option is likely to be paying for a local repair, so there's no advantage there, and it still wouldn't help with eligibility for the pro-support schemes or anything.

In any case, you can get a local grey import one for just over $2900, and at least you can take that back to a local service centre.

not sure what you gripe with the 24-70 is either, fantastic lens.
It's a fantastically versatile lens, sure, but I know my copy is a little on the soft side most of the time.

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Hey, Nikon owners are a proud people haha

If I'm hiring a photog for my wedding (picking an example most of us go through), it's one of the biggest days of my life, I'm prepared to spend premium dollars for said photog, so I expect his/her gear to be accordingly premium. In this case image plays a component of competency here aside from photographic ability. The wedding photog doesn't know if I'm an enthusiast photog myself or not.

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Great camera bodies come and go but great glass will last you a lifetime.
(Good) lenses will typically stick around a little longer than the camera bodies they're mounted to but eventually they to will be updated/superseded. This is particularly evident as camera manufacturers once again push for higher resolution cameras which make optical flaws in your otherwise perfect lens painfully obvious (as the D800 did on my bag of older Nikkor AF lenses...)

Hey, Nikon owners are a proud people haha
:thumb:

RE: the whole buying second hand thing. It's perfectly fine as long as you're smart about it. Make sure you do your homework and where possible, try before you buy. Often you'll find jokers asking way too much for stuff that's cheaper new imported but likewise, there are some sweet deals to be had. Check out http://www.cameramarket.com.au/

*shrugs*

Last edited:

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
(Good) lenses will typically stick around a little longer than the camera bodies they're mounted to but eventually they to will be updated/superseded. This is particularly evident as camera manufacturers once again push for higher resolution cameras which make optical flaws in your otherwise perfect lens painfully obvious (as the D800 did on my bag of older Nikkor AF lenses... / [/URL]

*shrugs*
I didn't realise how bigger deal this would be when I got one, and also how shit my technique was to boot, and I was shooting with a 21mp camera before it! I don't think I would have sent my 14-24 back to Nikon for warranty if everything wasn't so damn critical, whatever they did made all the difference though...

Last edited:

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Thank you all for so much feedback!

Realistically i wont be upgrading my body till the start of next year, due to financial commitments that are due soon.

Like Callan said, i do want to do photography professionally, but not full time. I wish to do a Bach of Education/Secondary Teaching majoring in Technology. (Woodwork, Cooking, Media, Photography Film teacher). So Photography is merely something that i very much enjoying doing and wish to pursue it and turn it into a side job, hence the flexibility of a teachers lifestyle... Well, in theory!

Depending on my financial state at the beginning at next year, i will hopefully get a 5Dmkiii and probably get a 50 1.4 and use that combo till i have the money for 35 f1.4, 135 f2, and whatever else i fill at the time i need. I'll most probably keep my 60D as a second body, alongside my 30 1.4. And sell my other lenses that are all Crop lenses, and forward the money to some L primes.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just for anyone that has a 24 - 70 and is underwhelmed by it, I really found mine exceptionally dissapointing for the first while of owning it, but I put an hour + into a micro adjust one day (only ended up being +3) and it's a completely different lens now...

wombat

Lives in a hole
Just for anyone that has a 24 - 70 and is underwhelmed by it, I really found mine exceptionally dissapointing for the first while of owning it, but I put an hour + into a micro adjust one day (only ended up being +3) and it's a completely different lens now...
Well I guess I'll just continue being underwhelmed by it on my pre-micro body. :(

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yeah, I should probably admit to dropping it once or twice. Probably really needs calibration. Its still the best option for me for events and stuff though, just can't beat the practicality, and usually its no drama to stop down and let the flash do the work.