The Photo Snob Thread

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Snobs i need some advice.

My recycle time on my flash, canon 580 ii is pretty shitty, i just use disposable double AA and they are good for like 30mins, then they turn shit house and i end having to wait 1-3mins between photos. I have used a mates external battery pack that conencted to the flash which was bloody awesome, recycle time was great! But the cord got annoying.

Do you guys have any suggestions on some real good rechargeable batteries that will really increase my recycle time? Or should i just buy one of those battery packs, as it was awesome, but second choice.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt

My recycle time on my flash, canon 580 ii is pretty shitty, i just use disposable double AA and they are good for like 30mins, then they turn shit house and i end having to wait 1-3mins between photos. I have used a mates external battery pack that conencted to the flash which was bloody awesome, recycle time was great! But the cord got annoying.

Do you guys have any suggestions on some real good rechargeable batteries that will really increase my recycle time? Or should i just buy one of those battery packs, as it was awesome, but second choice.
Eneloops. Look no further.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Eneloops. Look no further.
I second this. Either Eneloop rechargeables or Powerex rechargeables. Eneloops are 1900mAh and Powerex's are 2500mAh, meaning you'll get more pops out of the Powerex batteries before the go flat. Recycle times between flashes for both are pretty similar. There have, however, been tests done (i've learned by owning both) to show that Eneloops will hold their charge for longer, meaning you can leave them in your bag for a fortnight and they'll still be usable, whereas Powerex's will need recharging after about a week in your bag.

I bought 12 Powerex and 8 Eneloops 3 years ago and haven't bought a new set of batteries since. Both are rad.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyway have some tips for repairing scratched lenses or can recommend a professional? One is a tokina 10-17 and the other a cannon 18-200mm. Both the scrathces are fairly small but obviously noticeable post photograph. Most of the methods I've found online seem pretty ghetto so some advice from those with experience would be awesome.

heavyp

You heard it here first

Yep eneloops are the way to go always have been and always will be I reckon, I have used them in everything for years as my old man who's a sparky would not want me wasting my money on anything else.

If you shop around there are eneloops AA and AAA's that are cheaper as they have crazy colourful glittery design instead of the standard white or the black ones with an X on them, seems silly that people don't want to buy they girly looking ones when there going to be inside a device for most of there life anyways.

EneloopGlitter01.jpg

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I second this.
I'll third this but you need to invest in a decent charger to get the most out of them.

Buy this:- Maha MH-C9000.

Most battery chargers us an average or timer to determine appropriate charge. This means some batteries may not have a full charge and others will be overcharged, this reduces the effectiveness of the batteries and their life-span.

The above charger charges each battery individually and measures the charge to determine when each battery is fully charged. This charger also has a conditioning cycle that can be run every now and then to refresh the batteries, extending their life. I reconditioned a stack of my old Energizer rechargeables bringing them from "useless" to "useful" for around the home sort of use.

The charger also allows you to adjust charge rate - slow charge will preserve the batteries life whilst a quick charge option is there for emergencies.

My preference is with Imedion Ni-Mh batteries. These are rated to 2100mAh and are a low-self-discharge NiCd battery which is pretty much the only type you should consider unless you expect to have heavy usage / super quick recycle times over a short term.
If the latter is what you're after, jump on the higher-rated batteries such as Powerex which are rated at 2700mAh.

Good luck!

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Yep eneloops are the way to go always have been and always will be I reckon, I have used them in everything for years as my old man who's a sparky would not want me wasting my money on anything else.

If you shop around there are eneloops AA and AAA's that are cheaper as they have crazy colourful glittery design instead of the standard white or the black ones with an X on them, seems silly that people don't want to buy they girly looking ones when there going to be inside a device for most of there life anyways.

View attachment 289054
Great batteries but just be aware that the the colourful Eneloops are lower rated for super low self-discharge (~1800mAh), standard Eneloops are about 2000mAh and the "XX" ones are 2400mAh or there abouts. As above, you want something with a low self discharge but with something with enough punch for high-powered devices such as a speedlight. My 'retired' Energizers in their somewhat limited capacitance are only holding around 1800mAh which is definitely noticeable when coming from the Powerex and the Imodion batteries in a Nikon speedlight.

I got the above Powerex / Imodion batteries in a "package deal" with the above charger so for anyone "starting afresh", it's worth looking into.

Last edited:

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
I second this. Either Eneloop rechargeables or Powerex rechargeables. Eneloops are 1900mAh and Powerex's are 2500mAh, meaning you'll get more pops out of the Powerex batteries before the go flat. Recycle times between flashes for both are pretty similar. There have, however, been tests done (i've learned by owning both) to show that Eneloops will hold their charge for longer, meaning you can leave them in your bag for a fortnight and they'll still be usable, whereas Powerex's will need recharging after about a week in your bag.

I bought 12 Powerex and 8 Eneloops 3 years ago and haven't bought a new set of batteries since. Both are rad.
Eneloops are said to hold their charge for over a year. They come pre charged when you buy them and i have never heard of any of them lacking straight out of the box.

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Awesome guys, thank you so much for all you're help! ive gotten myself 8 eneloops and im loving them. I also got the eneloop battery charger that came with 4xAA's. It was only another $10 to get it with the charger and i'm happy with it. But if it does let me down ill be getting the charger suggested!

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Yo Photosnobs, check out a music video of my brothers band that i put together with a couple of mates. All filmed on Canon DSLR's . 6D, 7D. 50 1.4 + 24-105 f/4.

Im pretty stocked with the way it turned out, a lot of things id like to do differently, but overall pretty happy! Let me know what you guys think :) .

[video=youtube;hXpMAPtlTk8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXpMAPtlTk8&app=desktop[/video]

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
G'day Brooksy, I think this is very nice, but;

The only thing that is keeping me interested in this photo, and compositionally, is the colour, I don't feel you have shot at a perspective (needed to be shot wider and closer), and processed it well enough for the rock at the bottom to really anchor this photo, and hence the rock has lost some of its purpose.

I would love for you to have shot this lower so the colour from the sunrise extends further through the image, and perhaps to the left (which would place the rock in the middle bottom further in the right corner) so there is potentially an natural "S" curve weaving through the rocks out to the horizon (sun).

Hope that helps mate.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Hi All,

Took some cliche waterfall shots while in Cairns. The place is so beautiful that I struggled to do it justice.
What I am looking for is some feedback, primarily around the overall darkness of the shot. Shot with Cokin filters at around 3 - 4pm in the afternoon. I have some lense flare going on in the top right hand corner. Like wise in some of my other images. Is it "ok" to leave lense flare in an image?
CCRockWFaSmall-XL.jpg

Here is another example of brightness and flare at the top.
CrysCasWFaSmall-X2.jpg

And is this too dark? Original was over exposed due to the extra sunlight.
CrystalCascadesWFaSmall-XL.jpg

I should add, I do like them the way they are but I'm looking to improve my editing skills.

Cheers

Hux

Last edited:

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
G'day Brooksy, I think this is very nice, but;

The only thing that is keeping me interested in this photo, and compositionally, is the colour, I don't feel you have shot at a perspective (needed to be shot wider and closer), and processed it well enough for the rock at the bottom to really anchor this photo, and hence the rock has lost some of its purpose.

I would love for you to have shot this lower so the colour from the sunrise extends further through the image, and perhaps to the left (which would place the rock in the middle bottom further in the right corner) so there is potentially an natural "S" curve weaving through the rocks out to the horizon (sun).

Hope that helps mate.
Cheers Mate - good advice. I did struggle a bit composition wise when there - just couldn't find the best spot with random rocks, etc. Didn't really plan it well enough and probably should have had a scout the evening before...

I just love the colour and the clouds tho.

tu plang

knob
Hi All,

Took some cliche waterfall shots while in Cairns. The place is so beautiful that I struggled to do it justice.
What I am looking for is some feedback, primarily around the overall darkness of the shot. Shot with Cokin filters at around 3 - 4pm in the afternoon. I have some lense flare going on in the top right hand corner. Like wise in some of my other images. Is it "ok" to leave lense flare in an image?

Here is another example of brightness and flare at the top.

And is this too dark? Original was over exposed due to the extra sunlight.

I should add, I do like them the way they are but I'm looking to improve my editing skills.

Cheers

Hux
Last one is my favourite, the warm light on the rocks gives it a nice feel. It's also a nice side on afternoon light by the looks of it which gives everything nice depth. I think it's inevitable that water shots in heavily forrested spots will look dark. The background/trees are never going to be a source of much light to the eye or to a camera - IMO the shots look pretty awful if they are exposed to give high lumininance in these parts of the shot. Exposing for the water (which is a good rule of thumb anyway - if there's water or sky, expose for them) is always the way.

I find it's helpful to see objectively great examples from someone else and then analyse what they've done in a way that is more difficult to do with your own work. To that end, 3 shots that are dark by necessity:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54303179@N03/8646958404/in/faves-benjamin-h/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54303179@N03/8580387112/in/faves-benjamin-h/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/28196525@N02/10890867533/in/faves-benjamin-h/

And for balance, a few that caught just the right light - I think basically you want soft back light on foliage so it glows without creating harsh highlights on wet things (water, wet rocks etc). I think you've got to nail the location, conditions and timing for this though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54303179@N03/8754251911/in/faves-benjamin-h/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kublah/9471262243/in/faves-benjamin-h/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54303179@N03/9436837901/in/faves-benjamin-h/

Last edited:

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Been a while since I posted anything... This is weeping Rock in the Blue Mountains after a little bit of rain, wasn't weeping that day...

Last edited:

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
I can't even remember the last time I posted a photo.

I've shot a few things lately that aren't weddings, too!

Here are some photos. Including weddings.

sasha-ben-orso-sydney-wedding-photographer_01071.jpg

sasha-ben-orso-sydney-wedding-photographer_01121.jpg

people-eat-sleep-photo_0004.jpg

great-ocean-road-australia-eat-sleep-photo_0005.jpg