The Photo Snob Thread

valium

Likes Dirt
It must be said that mountaineering is almost always miserable for the most part at the time - that 3rd picture was taken during a 6 hour slog in to a huge wind that was whipping up spindrift that smacked you in the face and ruined any semblance of a trail. Three reasons I do it: (1) every now and again it is actually pleasant at the time; (2) it's always fun in retrospect (aka type 2 fun); (3) awesome locations that are so rewarding to shoot.
haha, ain't that the truth! Biggest regret in moving to Aus is the lack of mountains. Gotta get back to the PNW. Waking up at 1am for an alpine start is miserable, trudging up a glacier in 5 hours before sunrise is horrible, but somehow once you reach the top the misery is gone and all you're left with is bliss. And rosy retrospective is a really powerful thing.

That last BW photo is a star.

tu plang

knob
haha, ain't that the truth! Biggest regret in moving to Aus is the lack of mountains. Gotta get back to the PNW. Waking up at 1am for an alpine start is miserable, trudging up a glacier in 5 hours before sunrise is horrible, but somehow once you reach the top the misery is gone and all you're left with is bliss. And rosy retrospective is a really powerful thing.

That last BW photo is a star.
1 am is miserable, but the nerves/adrenaline are incredible given you're just going for a bit of a walk, at least initially. Also a glacier like the Aletsch under a nice moon is a pretty incredible sight! Where are you from originally?

Zumsteinspitze Approach by Benjamin-H, on Flickr

valium

Likes Dirt
1 am is miserable, but the nerves/adrenaline are incredible given you're just going for a bit of a walk, at least initially. Also a glacier like the Aletsch under a nice moon is a pretty incredible sight! Where are you from originally?
I'm a kiwi (the proper island) but spent the 4 years before moving here in BC, miss that place but the wife (being from airzona) is allergic to the rain.

More of a hiker/scrambler than mountaineer though.

That last photo is great, it's like they just passed a false summit and are seeing how far off the summit is. worst. feeling.ever.

Minlak

custom titis
I went to a National Parks and Wildlife induction recently where I was requested to sign a media release form saying it was ok for my image to be used if needed in promotional material for National Parks and Wildlife. My brother is a professional photographer in that he gets paid to take photographs and he had a facebook rant last night about people (the people and or their friends and family were using the photos) using his photographs with out his permission or payment or at least acknowledging it was his photo by linking it back to his page.(These particular photos were from a sporting event he chose to attend and was not paid to be there for promotional shots)
These 2 events got me thinking and now I have a question for the photographers on here.
Let us keep it topical to these forums lets say I am taking photos at my clubs recent XCO race at my local club. I then post said photos to Facebook and claim them as my "Intellectual Property". What about my subject? They have not given me express permission to use their image. I know they were in a public domain but do they not have rights to the image as well as it is their image you are using?
So in the scenario where I took your picture at an event then posted this picture to a web site or facebook offering to sell you the image at a nominal fee. I am making money off my talent but also your image. So should not the subject also have rights to the image?

Just an FYI one of my images from the event was used in our local paper to promote the club without my knowledge so genuine question.

Last edited:

tu plang

knob
It's fairly straight forward in practice. Commercial use of a photo containing a recognisable likeness requires consent from that person in the form of a model release. If the person is unrecognisable they have no claim but I suppose reasonable people would probably not use it if someone took issue. On the other hand, use for editorial purposes (news media etc) doesn't require a model release. You don't require a release in any case to take or keep the photograph, only to use it for commercial purposes.

On copyright - if you retain it (you retain it unless you expressly give it away) then it is illegal for anyone to use your photograph for any purpose without your consent. For those of us who don't make a living out of it, it's pointless chasing every little teenager posting your photographs on their blogs however annoying it may be. I appreciate the frustration that professionals face however.

tu plang

knob
After spending a week on Tokoriki Island in the Mamnuca's Fiji I've come back with a few photo's. I dusted off the old D3000 which I vowed to use as my gateway into photography (which never happened) some 5 years ago and started snapping.

These are without a tripod or a clue and untouched. Criticism, ideas and pointers please.

Tokoriki to Yanuya sunset by Madsnake88, on Flickr
Tokoriki Island sunset by Madsnake88, on Flickr
Putting aside composition for a moment, I think the difficult thing about shooting landscapes is learning what kind of light will work within the constraints of your tools (primarily camera). The sweet spot of tonal depth (and therefore image depth through shadows/highlights) and pleasant contrast is much harder to find than what lays either side - washed out or 'too contrasty' as it is often put.

I'd say your first one is a little on the washed out side. The diffuse light after sunset means everything is evenly lit and it becomes more difficult to convey the depth/3D nature of the scene. Put simply, imagine what these boxes (http://www.tbns.net/rdgraffix/cubes2.jpg) would look like if all sides were rendered light grey.

The second one is, for the most part, underexposed. The camera has exposed for the sun (obviously really bright) leaving the rest too dark. More fundamentally though, shooting in to the sun is always going to make for intense contrast. Whether that works or not comes with experience. On the rare occasions I shoot directly in to the sun (with some limited exceptions) I would blow the sun out and ensure the rest is correctly exposed. Like so:

A Warped View of Fun by Benjamin-H, on Flickr

Where the Wildflowers Glow by Benjamin-H, on Flickr

In the second, I waited for that cloud to kill the sun too but you won't always be that lucky.

I think a common misconception for beginners is that shooting at sunset means shooting the actual setting sun. Scrap that idea for a while (as it's bloody hard to make it work) and look east at what the sunset is painting.

Last edited:

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
...In the second, I waited for that cloud to kill the sun too but you won't always be that lucky.

I think a common misconception for beginners is that shooting at sunset means shooting the actual setting sun. Scrap that idea for a while (as it's bloody hard to make it work) and look east at what the sunset is painting.
Or you can do what I often do and that is make a composite - sky/sun exposed separately to the foreground, then layer blend together. I know some people think its "fake", but I couldn't give a f@#k what others think; I like them...
Black Rock02_1.jpg

tu plang

knob
Or you can do what I often do and that is make a composite - sky/sun exposed separately to the foreground, then layer blend together. I know some people think its "fake", but I couldn't give a f@#k what others think; I like them...
Yup, of course, and that looks good when done well but it's not the first port of call for someone starting out.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Damn there's been some sweet shots recently although this thread needs a bump.
Andrew, perfect as always
Ben that's a sweet B&W. Loving those alpine shots you've been posting
Angus that shot is friggin awesome.

I don't think I'd be the only one to say the standard of shots in this thread has boomed in the past year or so.
Keep them coming

tu plang

knob
Damn there's been some sweet shots recently although this thread needs a bump.
Andrew, perfect as always
Ben that's a sweet B&W. Loving those alpine shots you've been posting
Angus that shot is friggin awesome.

I don't think I'd be the only one to say the standard of shots in this thread has boomed in the past year or so.
Keep them coming
Agreed. Cool shot Angus.

Matterhorn Sunrise by Benjamin-H, on Flickr

And a wee little video from summer. Not a masterpiece of cinema or in particular, camera steadiness but hopefully a fun watch.

{actually, just updated the vid so will repost in the morning (GMT)}

Last edited: