The Polite Wollongong Thread

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I've been thinking of recent, mostly while riding my downhill bike uphills... "What the hell is wrong with the Wollongong riding scene? or lack thereof". I log onto this fine website and every second week there is another "Wollongong bitch fest".
We have some pretty good riding, its no Whistler, but pretty good on a world scale none the same. So then a little light came on inside my sweaty D2 and here it is, in all its sweaty, well thought-out politeness!

This is a thread for EVERYONE from EVERYWHERE to see that we actually aren't retarded- despite the toxic outfall in our skies. There is to be no slandering of others (This means you Caddy!) even if (when) someone (Tye) says something stupid (Sorry Tye, but you seem to be good at it ;) )

So to kick off here is a cool photo that you may have seen recently as POD. It is the "elusive Unitrack builder" in his natural environment. These are a very rare creature and do not like to be photographed, as the photo may indicate. Note the Ninja skills as he attempts a maneuver to morph into a tree to escape persecution. Cunning Stunt indeed.

Anyone ridden to Kembla West trig station recently? What about Mt Burelli? Did anyone ever jump the expolsives bunker gap in Mt Kembla? It was pretty big... What was the first DH trail you ever rode in the gong? How good was the trail at Jamberoo Recreation Park really?

Attachments

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmmm, Great idea for a thread!

I've rode the old DH race course at the moto-X track recently. It was a bit of overkill being on a V10 but it is still hella fun and worth the ride/hike to the top. There is actually some very technical riding to be had in the rock garden area (Moto Trials area) on a big bike. I finished the ride with a trek up "the widowmaker" to the top of the Drift. I think that is even scarier now then it was back in the day on a ridgid bike.

Can anyone tell me if the top section at Bulli is rideable?

oh yeah, The Ninja's name is Chris. Say G'day if you see him. Sorry for the dob-in mate, but respect where respect is due!

Last edited:

deadparrot

Likes Bikes
Polite Wollongong Thread

Great idea, and yes I am from Sydney, yes I ride in Wollongong, and have some fine friends from that area that I ride with.

Nice to see a welcoming thread, hell I ride everywhere from Lithgow to Ourimbah, Oxy etc etc etc, you have some great tracks there and as with all tracks people should behave appropriately to keep them open.

Keep the wollongong Politeness coming, it will be returned when you visit the Blue Mountains for rides.+

motox199

Likes Dirt
Great idea for a thread mate!
I haven't ridden kembla lately, but had a great run today from the top of treetops down to the bottom of possums. It was a killer push up but is sure as hell worth it!

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Question from an out-of-towner: Would Wollongong be worth going to for a short DH holiday? Like long weekend or maybe a week? How many tracks require shuttles? How many can be pushed? Any other tracks nearby that are worth driving to?

nskz

Likes Dirt
Ahh the elusive Uni track trail fairy...a rare breed indeed and many props must go out to this elusive character as the works undertaken on said track have been of the utmost quality :)

Can anyone tell me if the top section at Bulli is rideable?
Reubs top track Bulli was rideable as of about 3months ago and i'd say it's the same now as it was then. Now by rideable I mean you can ride down it but there is a fair leaf cover due to it's very infrequent use, still an epic section of track though. If it wasn't an absolute prick of a shuttle and an even bigger prick of a pushup (as in I wouldn't even consider it) i'm sure it would get ridden a lot more.

I think we probably have the best selection of trails in close proximity to a city anywhere in Australia (none of them strictly legal unfortunately), we also seem to have a pretty large voice here on rotorburn which you don't seem to get from other places. Given that a lot of these voices are also pretty young leads to some of the bitch fighting you see sometimes, I think however that we're turning a corner.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fixed that one up for you. Did you take it?
Sorry Champ! No, i simply copied and pasted...

Hell yes Wollongong is worth the trip. most trails are accessable in some way shape or form. Push runs can be done atmost trails but some, such as the Drift are better to shuttle/ ride up the road.

motox199

Likes Dirt
I agree with Reubs, i think that it would be a great holiday. Theres also the beach and plenty of other things to check out nearby. Some of the locals would love to show you the trails, and i'm sure you could score some shuttles with some of the local boys.

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What an excellent idea for a thread, wish I'd thought of it.

Reubs, you seem to have some local knowledge of the Kembla area that only an old local would know.
Yes, I did the explosives bunker, on a BMX (along with trying to stuff matches into it).
Kembla West is a great XC track (and it is legal).
I like to do the single track section at the north end on a hardtail as something different (V10 does seem excessive), though it is a shame that the shores fell into disrepair.
Which Trig do you actually mean, the one on the southern end that is actually Kembla West through the bush (why would you ride a bike to here), or the one along the fire road.

For the flamshmizer, the Gong is an excellent place to come for holiday, especially if you want to ride DH or XC.
Many, many DH and XC are shuttlable (is that a word??)
You will need to go with a few of the locals though, as there are no directions for the better tracks.
Hit a few of us up, i sure someone will be free that Weekend. :)

Petercass

Likes Dirt
Pushed up that top section of bulli a week or so ago... As stated before it was an interesting experience with all the leaf litter but worth it... Just had to take it slow... All the timber work was in bits but looked like it had been like that for a long time

mace2109

Likes Bikes
Shall we expect to see (or not see!) the "elusive unitrack builder" atop a freshly camouflaged Demo with stealth rubberised Minions attempting to evade detection again in the future? Nice photo:)
Great thread, hope to see you on the trails....

slowmtb

Likes Bikes
Its good to see everyone getting along team :)

Q: My mother owns a house in the Gong, if a Kiwi Dher was to come over would the locals show an "outsider" around ?

:D

motox199

Likes Dirt
Its good to see everyone getting along team :)

Q: My mother owns a house in the Gong, if a Kiwi Dher was to come over would the locals show an "outsider" around ?

:D
For sure man, theres plenty of guys around that would be more than happy to show you around.

red

Likes Dirt
Question from an out-of-towner: Would Wollongong be worth going to for a short DH holiday? Like long weekend or maybe a week? How many tracks require shuttles? How many can be pushed? Any other tracks nearby that are worth driving to?
the gong is a sick place for a ride
and most tracks can be shuttled but there are some only push tracks

zanus

Likes Dirt
We need some more mantinence work at tracks like possums. People like Luke are putting in the hard yards for everyone's enjoyment. We Need Build Days, common shovel hiding spots, and people to go off an repair a berm or stablize a jump. I can personally say its rewarding when you rebuild a jump for everyones enjoyment, and im sure James would agree with me. So people, get out and help out!

koe/extreme dh

Likes Dirt
We need some more mantinence work at tracks like possums. People like Luke are putting in the hard yards for everyone's enjoyment. We Need Build Days, common shovel hiding spots, and people to go off an repair a berm or stablize a jump. I can personally say its rewarding when you rebuild a jump for everyones enjoyment, and im sure James would agree with me. So people, get out and help out!
Hopefully this Wollongong attitude has changed people but last time i tried to fix up a berm where it WAS needed i got told off. You get told off for anything at keira because people don't appreciate that a berm is only making for more enjoyment for everybody.