the quarry wrecker...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Installment 1...

I was born to tinker and really enjoy pulling bikes apart and building up my own customised rides. I have been looking for a new free ride set up for a while and decided that the key factors were going to be:
- 7/8 inches rear travel
- 150mm rear axle
- 83mm bottom bracket
- single crown forks
- 26 inch wheels.

So I have been looking at what is available and settle on the idea that a giant glory was the frame for this project. Reasons being:
- vpp style suspension
- nice slack head angle
- reasonably low BB and stand over
- price
- warranty support.

So today I took the first step in building up my new bike...I purchased a complete bike to dismember!

IMG_20140613_162636.jpg

It is my intention to sell the forks pretty fast (pm to deal!) and probably a few other bits as well (Fox DHX-RC2, pm...). Then build ressurect it like Frankenstein!

will2

Likes Dirt
They took mine to the back of the shop to put them on before i left...I now have some spare reflectors, pm to deal!
I actually had a cop pull me up the other day told me to get reflectors on the rear, front and wheels. Then he proceeded to measure my bars and said it was an offence to have bars over 700mm (mine are 740mm).

Back to topic.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I actually had a cop pull me up the other day told me to get reflectors on the rear, front and wheels. Then he proceeded to measure my bars and said it was an offence to have bars over 700mm (mine are 740mm).

Back to topic.
...and apparently they can issue an individual fine for each infringement. Been pulled up and threatened plenty of times. One cop added up my fines for me, I could have brought a reasonable dirt jumper for them. Then he let me go after deciding I wasn't a meth courier.

xTeq

Likes Bikes

Back to topic.
And offence to have bars over 700mm?? Is this serious or are you having a troll? Is this for the suburban commute or trail blazing??

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did some google searching tonight and had no luck finding any law or design rule that lists maximum bar width.

Also checked fine information and there is no specific fine for having wide bars, only for reflectors, helmets, lights and working brakes.

Flint

Likes Dirt
I did some google searching tonight and had no luck finding any law or design rule that lists maximum bar width.

Also checked fine information and there is no specific fine for having wide bars, only for reflectors, helmets, lights and working brakes.

I remember reading an article about this and according to that author it was in fact a law and Trek were the only manufacturer to comply with it. Having said that I am not going to try and find the article as I don't have time.

Edit: This is where I read it http://flowmountainbike.com/tests/tested-trek-remedy-9-27-5/

Extract: We’ll say it now and get it off our chest. The Remedy’s handlebar is too narrow – it constricts this bike, and feels about five years out of date. In Trek’s defence, the only reason they supply the bike with this bar is because of some outdated Australian standards that stipulate a bike can’t have a bar over 700mm wide! So actually, every other brand is technically in the wrong from a legality perspective. Whatever the case, we fitted a 745mm bar to the very neat 70mm Bontrager Rhythm stem and felt much better.

Last edited:

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going to have some explaining to do without reflectors and using 800mm bars on the road (at time to get to and from the bush)

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Keep in mind that, in my understanding, the bike must comply with the Australian Standard before it leaves the shop i.e. 700mm bars. Once it leaves the shop it only has to comply with the road rules.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Given the high number of issues I have had with the police while riding I am amused that (without my input) my post your ride thread has become about how stupid bike laws are. Don't expect any of that shit to make sense!!! It is laid down by fat lazy bastards who think sport is opening the fridge or taking a shit and enforced by moronic bullies.

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
I've gone past at least 10 police cars, and sat next to them in lights on both
my downhill bike with Fatbars (780mm) and no reflectors
And my dirt jumper with no brakes, hardly a seat and no reflectors. Even with using my foot as a brake in the back tire which makes it super obvious i have no brakes didn't bother them

But then again i live in a pretty dodgy area, they probably have better things to do like stop people stabbing each other

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
How's the bike anyways are you going to take it for a run before you part it out? And rebuild ?
There will be no riding it until the rebuild. Trying to be patient and sell psrts before buying the stuff I want - forks and shock. Considering grabbing a cheap dh frame and building it upwith all my spares and selling them that way. Has worked pretty well in the past.

Trying to avoid a repeat of my snow board collection...ride board for 1 month, decide to sell it, buy new board, forget to sell old board...if only there was a place for off topic sakes on here! I currently have 2 bling boards to sell cheap and the season may actually start soon....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've gone past at least 10 police cars, and sat next to them in lights on both
my downhill bike with Fatbars (780mm) and no reflectors
And my dirt jumper with no brakes, hardly a seat and no reflectors. Even with using my foot as a brake in the back tire which makes it super obvious i have no brakes didn't bother them

But then again i live in a pretty dodgy area, they probably have better things to do like stop people stabbing each other
I dobt think it is an offence to ride without a seat. That's a life style choice you are entitled to.

Cops most common reason for stopping me is they reckon I'm a drug mule. No lights etc and riding a flash bike....and having a back pack. Got pulled up on way to work (7am) once. Bastard cops had me up against the wall, backpack emptied on side walk, heaps of people from work driving past, me mouthing off a fair bit...