The QUICK question thread.....

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member

moorey

call me Mia
Given the mess I make of most things mechanical, I can only imagine the Homer ashtray that would come of my attempt at this.

Thanks @moorey @pink poodle @leitch , probably better off replacing the drivetrain with something 1x specific and saving this for someone who actually likes ewww derailleurs?
They were an ugly AF crank, that model. You'll probably get enough from the retro frother hipsters (calling @Daniel Hale) to replace with something nice.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
They were an ugly AF crank, that model. You'll probably get enough from the retro frother hipsters (calling @Daniel Hale) to replace with something nice.
@Tubbsy i think i just filed a 104bcd chainring to go on it, they might b cool but a frustrating crank, removal, special tool pita - sram cranks imo much better, square taper...mmm love them, bb’s can b found in the yard after 10yrs, still spin like when new

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
@Tubbsy i think i just filed a 104bcd chainring to go on it, they might b cool but a frustrating crank, removal, special tool pita - sram cranks imo much better, square taper...mmm love them, bb’s can b found in the yard after 10yrs, still spin like when new
Special tool? ffs.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Special tool? ffs.
i mean for removal of crank, then there;s that stupid tension do/undo rubber ring thing, one of the cheap chinese chain rings i had would fit straight on, i just had to file w of the bolt hole tabs on the crank itself - the ring didn’t quite sit in the middle position due to the bolt hole castings being a bit wide, if yours is scuffed maybe try this, if it’s mint don’t file it - i’m glad i offloaded my set

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yeah, a special tool to remove the bloody thing is definitely making this sound less fun. Maybe I do have it, will have to and look.

moorey

call me Mia
Pretty sure the 960's aren't the issue. Its the 970's I have that require the special tool. They just run a standard shimano 24mm BB also.
No one EVER said sq taper was a good thing, unless a tragic contrarian hipster. SRAM/Truvative BB's also suck. especially GXP. I run numerous, but wish I didn't. Love the X9 DM cranks though, and as I replace BB's, I go to non SRAM ones. I like to get more than a week out of a BB.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah, a special tool to remove the bloody thing is definitely making this sound less fun. Maybe I do have it, will have to and look.
As above, could be wrong, but I think its the M970 with the PITA removal and proprietary tool.

safreek

Hey fellas, do you think this would suit a beginner bike rider, sort of heard they may be a bit rigid. Would it fit a tapered steerer as the fork seems rooted.
Is it a bargain or poor value.
If good value what should I check for, are these the snappy anthems

moorey

call me Mia
They obviously aren’t original forks...don’t know anything about them.
It’s no bargain, but it’s probably no covid price. Hard to tell condition. Particularly of shock and fork.

safreek

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the fork. I don't know much about xc bikes so am a bit cautious. You think I should let it roll for a week or so, if it doesn't sell hit him with a lowball

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Hey fellas, do you think this would suit a beginner bike rider, sort of heard they may be a bit rigid. Would it fit a tapered steerer as the fork seems rooted.
Is it a bargain or poor value.
If good value what should I check for, are these the snappy anthems
Not one of the snapped Anthem version.
As @moorey said non-original fork (with special needs sticker) I would be wary...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Probably not at that age. Giant have a reasonable archive, perhaps a sift through their archives will yield knowledge.