The QUICK question thread.....

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Anyone know where you can cheaply pick up a replacement cable nut sleeve for a dropper post. I sold a post but didn't have the sleeve to pass on. I was using it fine with just the cable end sitting in the actuator but would be good to point the buyer to a cheap replacement if I can.

Part I need pictured below:

View attachment 395019
LBS should have them. Otherwise CRC, Wiggle, Cyclinic etc but postage will kill it.

safreek

Just curious if anyone has used this drivetrain, seems cheap for new.
Does 12 teeth really mean heaps slower than 11teeth. Either way it has more than the average hillbilly

Screenshot_2022-12-05-18-45-59-19_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Anyone know where you can cheaply pick up a replacement cable nut sleeve for a dropper post. I sold a post but didn't have the sleeve to pass on. I was using it fine with just the cable end sitting in the actuator but would be good to point the buyer to a cheap replacement if I can.

Part I need pictured below:

View attachment 395019
Depends on the post..... Different manufacturers use different sized variations of the thing, so there is no standard replacement. You'll need to find one specific to the post.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Depends on the post..... Different manufacturers use different sized variations of the thing, so there is no standard replacement. You'll need to find one specific to the post.
So...if "a friend" has been using a cable knarp instead of the cable nut sleeve in a dropper, will my, shit, their bike explode? You know, if they happened to somehow misplace the original part...

Labcanary

I had one, never worked properly, sold it and bought microshift
Really? Mine (Box 2 prime 9) is going great after close to two years of near constant use. It needed a couple of adjustment tweaks soon after installation and then again after a fair bit of use, but I expect that with any drivetrain. My husband has microshift advent (9 speed) on his commuter and can't fault that either.

@safreek MTB direct have this on special too:
Screenshot_20221205-210950.png

A couple of things to note:
The Box groupset you are looking at is single shift.
The Microshift groupset pictured above doesn't come with a chain. You need to buy one separately.

Lucaw

Next in line
I had a box 3
The advent is great, just killed the clutch on my rear mech for a second time in a year. Tempted to get another one at that price...

Labcanary

I had a box 3
The advent is great, just killed the clutch on my rear mech for a second time in a year. Tempted to get another one at that price...
Box 3 must be the Alivio equivalent.

You should get another. The groupset is better value at 40% off than just replacing the derailleur.

safreek

Really? Mine (Box 2 prime 9) is going great after close to two years of near constant use. It needed a couple of adjustment tweaks soon after installation and then again after a fair bit of use, but I expect that with any drivetrain. My husband has microshift advent (9 speed) on his commuter and can't fault that either.

@safreek MTB direct have this on special too:
View attachment 395040

A couple of things to note:
The Box groupset you are looking at is single shift.
The Microshift groupset pictured above doesn't come with a chain. You need to buy one separately.
Sweet, do you think the microshift is better than the box

Labcanary

Spare derailleur? You guys are nuts. I have spare bikes.
You got spare derailleurs for the spare bikes though?

You need spare bikes with the number of them you've had stolen by scumbags. :(

Sweet, do you think the microshift is better than the box
I'd probably get Microshift. Box 3 is lower tier and the derailleur doesn't have a clutch mechanism (AFAIK). Microshift Advent does.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Spare derailleur? You guys are nuts.
Funny you say that. I have a spare 10 speed shimano xt (786 SGS) RD and a x7 type 2. Tinking of selling one of them and other one onto the bike (old one is bent). Of the two which is more likely to be happy with a 40t cassette with minimal mods like goatlinks and new b screws?

Or honest question, should I just scrap the lot and go for the box 9 speed?

Last edited:

safreek

Hi guys, going to hit the Toowoomba range road at xmas, last time I got the astrix up to 80kms top speed downhill, any idea what size front ring I will need to crack 100kmh definately. Cheers for any info.
I am guessing I have an 11 tooth on the rear but will check when I get home.
Hopefully not a stupid question

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Hi guys, going to hit the Toowoomba range road at xmas, last time I got the astrix up to 80kms top speed downhill, any idea what size front ring I will need to crack 100kmh definately. Cheers for any info.
I am guessing I have an 11 tooth on the rear but will check when I get home.
Hopefully not a stupid question
Need a speed suit and a special helmet to hit that speed:

1670470152815.png