The QUICK question thread.....

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Here's a review I prepared earlier.
https://www.bikemag.com/gear/hope-tech-vs-wheels-mfg/

100% you need the tool, but your lbs might have it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Ha, I found that earlier this morning :D
@Cardy George What cranks are you using? If GXP I can drift the bearings out of my Slash Frame and send them on for you?
Cheers for the offer, but it's running 100% XT gear, for now at least.

I'm guessing yours isn't making noise, just a notchy bearing
Exactly, and the reason why I just want bearings. I'm not keen on stressing a carbon frame like that every 12 months. Quickest way to a flogged out hole. If it means upgrading to a threaded bb then who am I to argue?

You've had the bike for how long now?
10 months, but the more telling number is 7,500km in fine dust.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Quick question:

Brake choices: Shimano xt 785 (I bought the merlin special) or a set of new magura MT5?

I refuse to run dot.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Serious question why the hate on dot all the time. It’s all I have used for years never an issue??? Seriously I can’t find why?
Probably got burnt by avid/sram. I found I simply had o bleed them a lot more than mineral stuff. Also I did get the stuff on my bike once and freaked out about it for weeks wondering if the paint would start to bubble!

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Anyone got any good solutions for recalcitrant zippers? My hydration pack zips are starting to seize up a bit.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Anyone got any good solutions for recalcitrant zippers? My hydration pack zips are starting to seize up a bit.
Dot fluid.

But seriously, chuck it in the wash. If it works again then you just have some grit in there. If not the bits are probably bent a bit.

• Haha
Reactions: Zaf

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Tried silicone spray on it ?
Nope, but it's the obvious answer isn't it. I've also got some PFTE spray too. I'd heard of people rubbing candles on zips to lube them up. If all else fails, there's always KY.

safreek

@pink poodle You mentioned taking a screw out of the reservoir and dripping in my baby oil, which screw do I use, do I pump it or just drop in and seal. Cheers.
Others feel free to answer, it would be good to have a rear brake for tomorrow without cannibalising the astrix. Thanks

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Google M775 brake bleed.
eg

safreek

Google M775 brake bleed.
eg
Cheers mate, that seems like what I am after, a no tool bleed, sorry, probably be one tool. Getting some fresh, untouched baby oil when I go out to walk the dog

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@safreek shim bleeds are a piece of piss. As per that pic in the linked article, just take the while top cap off (after making the reservoir level!) so 2 bolts on the old models. You can just fill up the reservoir, pump the lever, repeat until brake feels firm and then seal it up. You don't need to do the whole process of you just want a quick solution.

Otherwise you just need a piece of hose that fits (aquarium hose from pet store or bunnings etc) and run that into a vessel of some sort (eg emptt water bottle). Spanner for the bleed nut on the calliper and away you go. This is the unpopular gravity bleed. Alternatively head into the pharmacy for a big syringe (without needle). Fill that with oil, attach hose, connect to nipples, crack nipples and squeeze that shit on nice and steady. Don't forget to open the reservoir first. Oh and also drain the system before you start pumping! Otherwise you'll probably get shit everywhere. So open resevoir, drain system, dial up your syringe, pump it in, close off the nipples, top up the reservoir, seal it up, enjoy reliable braking

safreek

@safreek shim bleeds are a piece of piss. As per that pic in the linked article, just take the while top cap off (after making the reservoir level!) so 2 bolts on the old models. You can just fill up the reservoir, pump the lever, repeat until brake feels firm and then seal it up. You don't need to do the whole process of you just want a quick solution.

Otherwise you just need a piece of hose that fits (aquarium hose from pet store or bunnings etc) and run that into a vessel of some sort (eg emptt water bottle). Spanner for the bleed nut on the calliper and away you go. This is the unpopular gravity bleed. Alternatively head into the pharmacy for a big syringe (without needle). Fill that with oil, attach hose, connect to nipples, crack nipples and squeeze that shit on nice and steady. Don't forget to open the reservoir first. Oh and also drain the system before you start pumping! Otherwise you'll probably get shit everywhere. So open resevoir, drain system, dial up your syringe, pump it in, close off the nipples, top up the reservoir, seal it up, enjoy reliable braking
Cheers bruz, will do it the easy way, they only had fragranced baby oil so the less I put in there the better. I could of payed 8 bucks for some with aloe Vera in it but I guess the less shit in it the better:rolleyes: