AM The reborn Waltly

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I was anticipating that this build would take some time as despite the ridiculous price the frame was obtained for (thanks @beeb), the bike budget was seriously depleted at time of purchase. Enter @Scotty675, who in the COVID challenged desert like world of bike parts, provides a shining Oasis for the needy. A birthday leave pass yesterday was obtained for the build, which unfortunately ended up taking too long for a shakedown spin on the home tracks. Yet another debt for @Scotty675 to recoup in the future! Some parts will be updated soon, and ride report to follow.

Frame - Waltly Custom Titanium Hardtail Frame
Front shock/fork - Suntour Durolux
Handlebars - Pivot 760mm
Stem - Pivot 50mm
Headset - Cane Creek 'Hellbender' 70 series
Grips - Ergon GA2
Saddle - Ergon SME3
Seatpost - KS Lev Integra 150mm, X-Fusion Remote
Brakes - XTR M9000 levers on SLX M7100 calipers. Rotors a temporary solution at this stage
Cranks - Shimano XTR M9000 with 34t chainring
Chainguide - E-thirteen
Chain - Shimano XTR 11sp
Pedals - Shimano clipless for a shakedown, but will probably swap for Oneup Composites in the near future
Rear shifter - Shimano XTR M9000 11sp (bar clamp type)
Rear derailleur - Shimano XTR M9000 11sp
Cassette - Shimano XT 11-46
Wheels - Hunt Enduro Wide
Tyres - Maxxis Assegai 2.5" Exo (Front), Rekon 2.4" Exo (Rear)
Tubes - Nope, Stans Tubeless Sealants
Total weight - T.B.A

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Looking good! Looking forward to hearing how you find it.

PS: It's still daylight, time to ride! :p

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
@rangersac - What travel is the fork, 160mm?
They're 170mm out of the box, although I do have some travel reducers as I might drop it down to 160mm. Had a quick spin on the backyard jumps this evening before embarking on a 50km/ 1100m climbing epic (on a different bike). She feels lively and playful, so I'm keen for some fork tuning and a bit more of an extended run tomorrow.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
First serious hitout on the steed last night, a 23km ride with about 550m of climbing and descending, over a mixture of single track, bike park and urban downhill trails. Very happy to report that all expectations were completely exceeded. Climbs like a goat, handling is pin sharp, and I honestly didn't feel like I was giving up much at all to the dually on downhill sections. There's a nice subtle bit of compliance in the rear end which mutes high frequency chatter, but the frame is certainly stiff.

Improvements: Forks need a bit of dialling in. For big hits they worked well, but the small bump compliance was lacking a bit so will drop some air out of them for the next run, and hopefully they bed in after a few more sessions. Pretty happy for a first up crack though, silent in operation, and they track very well, feeling on par for stiffness with my X-Fusion Metrics with a 20mm axle that I have on the Cotic. I had ordered a heavy negative spring given I am no shrinking violet at 100kg in full trail kit, but I don't think it will be necessary as the medium spring never felt overwhelmed. Travel wise 170mm actually feels pretty much spot on for the geo, super confident and grippy in the steep stuff and no wandering on pinchy climbs.

Brakes: The XTR Lever/ SLX four pot caliper combo marries up beautifully, with modulation not previously experienced on Shimano systems being a most pleasing feature. Some bigger rotors are in the post though as the temp ones currently fitted aren't quite up to the task once Maydena levels of descending angles are achieved.

So @Scotty675, when you coming to the Con again for that promised ride?

Scotty675

Cable thief
How’s Friday or weekend?
Going to Bruny tomorrow but don’t think I’ll have time to call down.
Paradox is going 12speed as I write this

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Gotta work Friday but Saturday morning could be an option. I might be making a Maydena run on Sunday so rules that out.