The revitalized Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 - build in progress

markgab

Likes Dirt
Trek Fuel Ex 9.8, seems i can't let you go :D
So yea, i thought i'd be selling the frame after getting a Banshee Spitfire.
But it seems my love for the bike is still there :mmph:

Building her up again :)

Frame - Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 2013 (1x10 setup)
Front Shock - Can't decide X-Fusion Slant 140mm or Float Fit DRCV/CTD 130mm
Rear Shock - Fox Float w/DRCV, CTD
Wheelset - Mavic 819 + Hope Pro 2 EVO 142x12mm
Brakes - Shimano XT m785 or gonna buy Zee's
Rear Derailleur - Saint m820
Crankset - Shimano XT m780 arms with Raceface 30t chainring
Chain - Shimano XT HG 95
Cassette - Shimano XT 11-36
Handlebars - Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon Low Riser
Stem - Bontrager Race X Lite
Steatpost - RockShox Reverb Stealth
Saddle - Bontrager Evoke 3 Ti
Pedals - Saint
Weight - Gotta weigh again i assemble the bike

Getting patched - build in progress

First bought the bike from Clarence St Cyclery

The upgrades i did before the move to Banshee

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
Welcome to the forum dude!

sweet looking ride!
where's that riding photo taken? Blair Witch?

Ps. You need black forks ;)

markgab

Likes Dirt
Went for a ride at Manly yesterday, notice some trail changes 'ADVANCED' = good bye chainring lol!

Received some of my parts this morning, can't wait swap them out.
RF 30t chainring
Saint m820 R derailleur & shifter
2x spare chains, 1x cassette and cable housing

Waiting for my saint brakeset to arrive :( DHL = slow

My final upgrade would most likely be the 2015 Fox 36 fork which arn't out yet and maybe saint crankarms to complete the groupset.

Last edited:

wavike

Likes Dirt
Went for a ride at Manly yesterday, notice some trail changes 'ADVANCED' = good bye chainring lol!

My final upgrade would most likely be the 2015 Fox 36 fork which arn't out yet and maybe saint crankarms to complete the groupset.
Hmmm! Fox 36 on a 130mm travel carbon trek - Ahhh the sweet sound of cracking carbon (wouldn't the 2015 140 travel pikes be a more suited - kkk but what do i know :tsk: )

Great ride by the way, I think it's the perfect Trail/XC weapon, but gravity AM ???

markgab

Likes Dirt
Hmmm! Fox 36 on a 130mm travel carbon trek - Ahhh the sweet sound of cracking carbon (wouldn't the 2015 140 travel pikes be a more suited - kkk but what do i know :tsk: )

Great ride by the way, I think it's the perfect Trail/XC weapon, but gravity AM ???

http://reviews.mtbr.com/review-new-2015-fox-36-float-and-talas-fork/2

From reviews it seems RC2 Float (10mm)/Talas (5mm) are adjustable on the fly.

Seems like floats are plush, 110mm to 160mm and max i would go would be 140mm.

I'm not going into gravity/AM, just prefer stiffer parts as i find the 32 kind of flexy as i am 85kg's.

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
I like what you have done so far and would have to agree with the other comments re putting a 36 160mm fork on this frame.

You will be running it well outside of its design intent and risk putting a lot of stress on the head tube and possibly seattube area as well. Trek aren't reputedly the best on frame warranties and they will run a mile when they see you have put a monster fork on there.

A fox 34 or RS Pike 35 with 140 travel would be ideal. You aren't going to see the benefit of running a burly 36 fork on this bike since you are a mid-weight rider.

Have you thought of fitting a bash guard if you are prone to smashing chainrings?

markgab

Likes Dirt
I like what you have done so far and would have to agree with the other comments re putting a 36 160mm fork on this frame.

You will be running it well outside of its design intent and risk putting a lot of stress on the head tube and possibly seattube area as well. Trek aren't reputedly the best on frame warranties and they will run a mile when they see you have put a monster fork on there.

A fox 34 or RS Pike 35 with 140 travel would be ideal. You aren't going to see the benefit of running a burly 36 fork on this bike since you are a mid-weight rider.

Have you thought of fitting a bash guard if you are prone to smashing chainrings?
I am confused though.

From reviews i read,the 36 is stiffer more supple fork without disrupting its geometry and since the 36 (2015) model weighs about the same as a 34 with the same axle-to-crown length i wouldn't be putting stress to the frame would i?
I would only be running at 130mm so wouldn't it be within range?
Also why i thought of a 36 instead of a 34 is why not add $100 for a stiffer and i wouldn't have to reasons to change a fork.
Only thing i don't like about pike is the matt black colour =X

Changed my chainring today, can't wait to test ride.

teK--

Eats Squid
If running a 36 at 130mm you aren't making most of the fork. When they come out they will definitely be at a significant premium price over the 34 I imagine.

Every year Fox boast about how their fork is stiffer and more supple. After the whole CTD debacle I'm not falling for that shit anymore...

Tobey Bostock

Likes Bikes
Problem is, where is that pressure being transfered to if the stiffer fork isn't absorbing it? The rest of the carbon frame...

Its a XC/light duty trail bike. 34's would be a happy medium.

Ivan

Eats Squid
There is no issue with running a larger diameter fork on this frame, so long as you stick reasonably close to the original Axle to Crown length. The Spesh Camber EVO specced with Pikes is a good example of a large diameter fork on a short travel frame.

Considering Fox's track record over the last few years, Why people keep giving them money :noidea:

:behindsofa:

MountainBikeMike

Likes Dirt
+1 for 34's. No need to bulk it up that much. You see most 150mm travel bikes such as the Remedy etc coming with 34's! Besides Im over 90kg and ride every downhill track I can think of on them (QT bike park and mountains, Cairns dh track, lots and lots of Melbourne tracks, etc)

marc.r

Likes Dirt
if you can get 130mm 2015s i say go for it. they are for all intents and purposes 34 replacements anyway. significant weight reductions over the old 36 and if the axle to crown is the same as 34s I cant see why you wouldnt go for the latest and best fork.

summary the only reason not to go with a 36 are weight and axle to crown. if neither of those are a problem in 2015 models then get one!

markgab

Likes Dirt
Having a dilemma now, 34 or 36. :boink:
Only downfall of a 34 is that they don't have the RC2 function and only 2 level adjustment (140mm or 160mm).
I thought of another option, kashima coat my current fork.
So i called Fox and they said kashima coat only adds 5% rigidity and it'll cost at least $400-$500+. (Was told i will be better off buying a new fork).
Oh wells gonna wait awhile for the reviews then and decide.

New in new rear D, shifters, cassette, single chainring and chain (had to go to my lbs as i didn't have the chain connector pin)

My other parts arrived today, gonna install them soon.
Saint brakeset
Spare chain & pedals

Last edited: