The Rim Thread.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
well everyone alwasy raves about having welded over sleaved and pinned rims, but if there half the price... i couldnt see how there could b too much difference in strength at all.

DW-1

Dirt Works
:[TYL3R]:;2104722 said:
Well I'm looking at buying some new rims for my dh rig and Im leaning toward a set of mtx 31s
I'm probably going to buy them off CRC and they have a welded and a sleeved version for sale.
The sleeved version is almost half the price of the welded and I was wondering how much stronger the welded ones are over the sleeved.
Is it worth spending more on the welded or will the sleeved ones hold up fine?

Cheers, Tyler
we actually used to offer the sleeved version. It's basically an OEM rim. On bikes it is called the "S-Type".

As to "is the welded one that much better"..." Think on this... The main place that rims fail... is at the join.

is the saving really that massive for the sleeved version? I mean... unless you're spending over the AUD$448 threshold... they're going to smack you with $43 freight. (I guess if you're buying a heap of gear the freight % comes down a lot)

Locally the welded MTX is only $99 now.

Elvis.

Jimass

Eats Squid
Mtx aren't great, they're heavy and dint quite easily.

For another option look at a set of Dartmoor Raiders or Fortresses (If your hard on your rims) from www.fearlesscycles.com.au

They're pretty cheap, $69.95 for the ano ones...

T-Rex

Template denier
:[TYL3R]:;2104722 said:
Well I'm looking at buying some new rims for my dh rig and Im leaning toward a set of mtx 31s
I'm probably going to buy them off CRC and they have a welded and a sleeved version for sale.
The sleeved version is almost half the price of the welded and I was wondering how much stronger the welded ones are over the sleeved.
Is it worth spending more on the welded or will the sleeved ones hold up fine?

Cheers, Tyler
The House of Rex runs the MTX as one of two preferred rims for DH racing. Rims are basically a consumable item and we've been through a few MTXs, both sleeved and welded. In terms of failure, they have all evenutally let go due to cracking on the inside of the lip of the rim, which then leads to a chunk of the rim lip falling off. We have never had one let go on the join, and just yesterday I pulled another one (pinned) apart to rescue the hub, the join was holding up fine.

So my recommendation is save your $$ and get a pinned one. And DW1 is right, you are better off buying one locally than paying the freight from CRC unless you can get a free shipment. Check out TBSM, they do them at a pretty good price.

:[TYL3R]:

Likes Dirt
Well I have had a look on more local site but CRC still has the best deal.
2 rims for $117 inculding postage.

T-Rex

Template denier
:[TYL3R]:;2104908 said:
That's a pretty good price including postage.

:[TYL3R]:

Likes Dirt
To get the welded version it would be more like $200
so is it worth spending more on the welded or not?

T-Rex

Template denier
:[TYL3R]:;2104956 said:
To get the welded version it would be more like $200
so is it worth spending more on the welded or not?
IMO no. See my earlier post for my reasoning.

DW-1

Dirt Works
:[TYL3R]:;2104908 said:
I'll take it that you're deciding on the sleeved rims then?

The price I listed was for the welded version.

Elvis

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
:[TYL3R]:;2104971 said:
Yeah I think I will go for the sleeved.
Thanks everyone for the help.

Cheers, Tyler
you'l dint them out pretty quick i reckon man, have a look at cas's bike next time you see him ;)
mavic is the way to go i reckon.

T-Rex

Template denier
Hey Tyl3r, just to complete the story on MTXs so you don't think I'm misrepresenting them to you, your mate jacko13 is right, if you are not a super smooth rider and you are reasonably quick/agressive, they do dent easily ie they are a softish rim. We use them because they are cheap and readily available, so when they start to crack, it's a one hour job to relace a new rim onto the existing spokes and hubs. Also from a racing point of view, a softer rim is less likely to give you a puncture if you tag a rock on your race run, it is more inclined to bend instead of driving itself through the tube. So this approach to rim selection might not suit everybody, you need to consider if it suits you.

Last edited:

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
:[TYL3R]:;2105107 said:
mavic are sold out everywhere.
and where they arent they are like heaps!

and cas got his bike like that.
as said above ^

also, ask al what he did to his.
also doesnt really matter if cas got his bike like that, the point was they're very soft.
also as said above they will not puncture as easy, but i know you cant replace them all the time.

T-Rex

Template denier
So much for your thread title "quick rim question"!!! :):)

I have HEARD but have no experience that a rim called a "Dirt Bag" is pretty hard and pretty cheap. Not sure who the manufacturer is, maybe Alex???

Obviously Mavic as your mate said earlier, but not a cheap rim.

I'm sure there will be other threads on rim selection, have a look in the downhill section.

Last edited:

T-Rex

Template denier
Does CRC still have the 721's for ~$83ea? A mate recently got a set, they look the goods.

Judd.
CRC web site says "Not available outside the EU" on all the Mavic rims - so your mate had no trouble getting them shipped to Australia?