The Rohloff Speedhub thread

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Ok, this might be a very small "club" but I was hoping to talk to other Australian Rohloff Speedhub owners out there.

Lots of things to talk about, but I'll just start with a question...

Do any Speedhub owners out there want to go splits on ordering the Rohloff Speedhub all-season oil and cleaning oil? There's a very good chance I'll be able to buy 1litre containers of each.

Considering the average Speedhub oil change kit costs around $50AUD, and that gets you 25ml of each type of oil to do the job, this has surely got to be a far better way to do it.
Anybody interested?

gazzasa

Squid
sounds interesting.. when does the hub need a oil change? I've only had mine for just over a year and ± 3500km of pure MTB bliss :cool:

TysonRomero

Likes Bikes
Sprocket removal - my experience

Perhaps this thread still has a pulse...

Thought I'd share the fun I recently had reversing my hub sprocket - hopefully someone will find this useful, rather than a lesson in sucking eggs.

A friend was recently upgrading his chain and front sprocket and decided it might be time to reverse the hub sprocket. Thought I'd try and help as I own the Rohloff sprocket changing tool. The sprocket was very hard to budge - we managed to bend the handle and break chain links in two 'normal' chain whips with no luck at all. Feeling a little under-gunned I coughed up for the Park Tools SR-2 chain whip.

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=4&item=SR-2

It's much bigger in real-life (and fookin' expensive). It still took one of us hanging off the chain whip and another off a 12" spanner to get the sprocket loose. It was pretty brutal, but no broken chain whips this time. Seeing it was two person job, we pulled mine off whilst we were at it. It came off easier, but was still a two person job. My mate had a factory installed 16 tooth sprocket. I run 17 tooth, so I swapped it for the standard 16 before I used the hub, making sure to apply plenty of grease to the threads. My sprocket has been on for about 4 years now, my mates 3. I reckon the liberal application of grease years ago made mine easier to get off.

So what's the point? From now on I'm going to take my sprocket off and re-grease the threads annually - when I do an oil change. That way I might be able to do it by myself rather than getting Goliath's big brother to help me out. I use Castrol Marine grease. Nice and waterproof.

One more thing. Make sure to leave the hub sprocket side up when you've got the sprocket off, don't even lean it slightly off vertical towards the sprocket side; there's a good chance you'll end up with the hub oil all over the floor. The kitchen floor in my case...

gman

Likes Bikes
I have a Rohloff speedhub for sale.

It has travelled about 200kms since new, has a 203mm disc rotor (cost me $160 for the rotor alone from memory), and is also laced to a rim, I can't remember what type rim, i will have to check. I also have a Roloff chainguide for the hub to prevent the chain from jumping off the rear hub, which I have never put on, and is brand new in the packet.

The Rohloff and complete wheel is in perfect condition from the gripshift to the brake disc, so let me know if any one is interested.

I am going to put it on Ebay soon.

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i just googled the rohloff speed hub. all i can say is wow.....

that thing is a serious bit of kit.

couple questions,

1. how much does one cost new?

2. can they be used for downhill?

gman

Likes Bikes
i just googled the rohloff speed hub. all i can say is wow.....

that thing is a serious bit of kit.

couple questions,

1. how much does one cost new?

2. can they be used for downhill?
G'day Bones,

To answer your questions:

1. Bloody expensive.... $2K for the disc version. :eek:
http://www.stkildacycles.com.au/pro...age=flypage.tpl&product_id=595&category_id=98

On Ebay a used hub will reliably fetch over $1000

2. Yep they can be used for DH. Mine has the DH setup with the 8" disc and DH chain guide for the hub. ( http://www.rohloff.de/en/products/speedhub/dh_chain_guide/index.html )

They are good in many ways, such as being able to change gears while stationary. For example if you brake quickly and are still in a high gear, you can rotate the shifter to any gear and get going fast. The gear changing is excellent, no mucking about ever, just grab a handfull and get the gear you want everytime, no derailler problems. The chain is always in line, like a single speed. They last for over 50,000kms with minimal maintenance.... which I think is the best part.

However, I personally don't like gripshifters, and they are a lb or so heavier than a standard derailler setup.... To be idel for me, I would prefer a trigger shift, only 7 gears, and to be lighter than a derailler setup and it would be perfect.

You may be able to see the hub and shifter on the SC Bullit in this photo. Although the Bullit is an awesome bike, it's too heavy duty for me, and it's mostly sat in the shed for the last few years. Recently I purchased the 4X (front bike) to inspire myself to get out riding again, so the Bullit is being sold also.

Attachments

Last edited:

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah it looks the goods but i think it's far too expensive and complex for me, i have been trying to teach myself how to maintain my bikes without needing the LBS and i'm guessin if something breaks on that hub you're in deep shit and have to send it away and pay with your left nut to get it fixed

gman

Likes Bikes
Yep, it's definitely an exclusive item. I can't justify owning it either, it's too much money unless you appreciate, and use it alot.

I personally think they are best suited for touring around the country, where reliability and minimal maintenance is desired. It is the simplest gear setup to maintain (a simple oil change), they don't break, and need no adjusting.

Good luck and best to keep your nuts for more rewarding adventures!

TysonRomero

Likes Bikes
yeah it looks the goods but i think it's far too expensive and complex for me, i have been trying to teach myself how to maintain my bikes without needing the LBS and i'm guessin if something breaks on that hub you're in deep shit and have to send it away and pay with your left nut to get it fixed
That's certainly true and whilst the hub isn't everyone's cup of tea I think I can safely say whilst it is complex on the inside, in terms of day to day use it's far easier to live with than a derailleur system. They have proven bloody reliable, but you need to be using it a lot or have specific needs in mind to gain the advantage of not having to replace your normal drivetrain consumables. It's very uncommon for the hub to fail in a way that leaves you completely stranded, you should have at least one gear to use. That's why folk touring remote regions like them.

None of this is particularly relevant to downhill though. Unless you downhill on a hardtail you still need to use a chain tensioner, so you don't get the advantage of a simple chain set up. In terms of wheel building, the flanges are symmetrical, so you can build up stronger (dishless) wheels. People certainly use Rohloff's for downhill, but I'm not one of them, so can't say much more about it. I use mine for XC and won't ever go back to fiddling around with derailleurs (...spot the Rohloff freak frothing at the mouth...)