The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

poita

Likes Dirt
This is the exact info I've been searching for! I'll try and get out to one of those on the weekend. Might pm you for more info if needed. I'm pretty good at stealth camping and I wake up for the sunrise so usually don't see too many people, I binned it on the descent from majura as everything froze overnight and I hit some ice.

Because I live in an anu college (fenner) I really enjoy sneaking out for a night under the stars so I can get some space to my self.

Edit: is the camels hump the closest biggish peak that's rideable? How did you ride to the top? I'll probably wait until I get my new light before I have a crack.
Good advice there, I'd definitely head west rather than majura. Mt Coree is great and there are heaps of little camp spots nearby in the Brindabellas. Just watch out for the 4wd and dirt bikes on the weekends, doesn't sound like that'll be a problem for you though! There are a few avid bike campers in the area on other forums too.

Aeons

Squid
Good advice there, I'd definitely head west rather than majura. Mt Coree is great and there are heaps of little camp spots nearby in the Brindabellas. Just watch out for the 4wd and dirt bikes on the weekends, doesn't sound like that'll be a problem for you though! There are a few avid bike campers in the area on other forums too.
Yeh I think I've had enough nights there for now, just started small so I could shake down my set up and practice my tarp pitching/night riding skills. Would be awesome to go for a ride with some others so I can learn the routes..

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Just got back from a mid-week overnighter to Coree. Seriously windy but all the tough climbing was amazing sheltered to the prevailing gale force winds. Was very difficult to find a flat spot out of the wind on the easterly side safe from falling timber. Managed to find enough 3 flat-ish bivy spots although some platform construction was required:

Made for an amazingly comfy sleep, but building it in the dark at 11:00pm was a PITA.

Have finally got my bivy setup tweaked to my liking. The SOL bag was never big to enough fit my neoair mat and helium 300 so I cut it down the back and opened it up by about 20cm, stuck it down to some double sided foam space blanket stuff. Total setup is very light and good to subzero temps.

The ride to the summit of Coree from the back of the ANU took 2:55 including a short water stop at the Cotter campground (drinking water is available). Return trip is about 1:50 because you're blowing off about 900m of vert on the way back. So a 7am summit departure will see you back at work at 9am.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Is the camels hump the closest biggish peak that's rideable?
Your best bet for full ride-ability is Mount Coree. Camel's Hump involves ditching the bikes at the base of Camel's Hump on the saddle between the Hump and John's Peak and then following the foot pad up. There are some parts of the climb that involve some rock scrambling and exposure which can be particularly fun when covered in ice with cycling shoes on. I'd do a day ride out to Camel's and check it out in the light before doing a night time assault. There are plenty of places along the Tidbinbilla Range Firetrail on the way to Camel's so you can always find a little camp spot with views of Canberra and shelter from the prevailing westerlies.

There are also a truckload of options along the Mount Franklin Road. As it runs mostly along the ridgeline you can pull off to either side in many places for a speccy mountain bivy. You are unlikely to run into anyone out there on a weekday and if you walk a little way into the bush its unlikely you will ever come across anyone at any time.

Send me a PM if you need some other options.

shakes

Likes Dirt
Just got back from a mid-week overnighter to Coree. Seriously windy but all the tough climbing was amazing sheltered to the prevailing gale force winds. Was very difficult to find a flat spot out of the wind on the easterly side safe from falling timber. Managed to find enough 3 flat-ish bivy spots although some platform construction was required:

Made for an amazingly comfy sleep, but building it in the dark at 11:00pm was a PITA.

Have finally got my bivy setup tweaked to my liking. The SOL bag was never big to enough fit my neoair mat and helium 300 so I cut it down the back and opened it up by about 20cm, stuck it down to some double sided foam space blanket stuff. Total setup is very light and good to subzero temps.

The ride to the summit of Coree from the back of the ANU took 2:55 including a short water stop at the Cotter campground (drinking water is available). Return trip is about 1:50 because you're blowing off about 900m of vert on the way back. So a 7am summit departure will see you back at work at 9am.
Thats seriously awesome. How does the Mont bag go? what kind of temps is comfy in it?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Cheers. The Mont bag is seriously good and combined with the SOL Escape bivy works well for quite cold conditions. I have used it several times in conditions when you wake up and everything is covered in frost and water pools have turned to solid ice, maybe down to -5 deg C. Last night was probably around 0 deg C and I was nice and warm inside just wearing boxxer shorts and woollen thermal top (beannie and neck warmer are essential too). On the other hand, I did a hike in June and got cold at about 3am and I was wearing thermal socks, thermal longs and my down jacket.

The down is very high lofting which makes it warm for its weight, but the drawback is that if you compress it anywhere it has almost no insulation. Less lofting down and more of it will still be semi-warm if squashed.

disappearin

Likes Dirt
finally got my bike setup. took it for a 40k shakedown ride last night and all performed well. hopefully can get away soon for a few days for a real test. the klite with the dynamo hub is awesome. far stronger then my previous battery light and i honestly couldnt notice the drag. the oveja negra bags fit well and hold alot more then i thought they would. had sleeping bag, bivy bag, sleeping mat, clothes (jacket, warmers, beanie), 2l camelbak bladder, spares (tube, small piece chain, sidewall repair kit) and some basic tools (multitool, pliers, 10mm allen key for cranks, zip ties) and a basic 1st aid kit packed with plenty of room left for food and a small stove. Let the adventures begin!
DSC02055.JPGDSC02051.JPGDSC02063.JPGDSC02064.JPGDSC02065.JPGDSC02074.JPG

Tibbsy

Squid
A trip not long ago!!

Thought i'd post a little bike hiking trip out to Magnetic island (not a lot of MTBing but a good test trip - sorry lots of pics)

IMG_1289.jpg
IMG_1291.jpg
IMG_1294.jpg
IMG_1292.jpg
IMG_1295.jpg
IMG_1296.jpg
IMG_1300.jpg
IMG_1303.jpg
IMG_1306.jpg
IMG_1308.jpg
IMG_1309.jpg
IMG_1312.jpg
IMG_1314.jpg
IMG_1317.jpg
IMG_1318.jpg
IMG_1325.jpg
IMG_1328.jpg
IMG_1330.jpg

dA_bOmBbIkE

Likes Dirt
Hey rb'ers I am looking to head off on my first solo overnight MTB mission. My wife is heading out of town for a week so I'm gonna take some time off and do maybe a 2 night trip. Only catch is I've only just decided to do it and its next week! Before then I need to sort gear, decide on a location etc. I have done a fair amount of reading in the past and have wanted to do this for years but the opportunity has just reared its head. I have read through most of the self sufficient thread. And done some other research on bike set ups etc

My first question is where? Are there any tried and true spots in Victoria that include some single track and fire trails- no main roads... I am plenty fit and would be looking to do 50-80k a day.

What I have currently:
Rocky Mountain element (carbon 29r)
Plenty of hiking gear (tent, packs, cookers, sleeping bag etc)

I have looked into the freeload racks and this is probably the best solution- I would like to keep the bike as light as possible, even if it means sacrificing some comfort.

What sort of set ups have other people used on a dually ?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm super excited to get this happening

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
My first question is where? Are there any tried and true spots in Victoria that include some single track and fire trails- no main roads... I am plenty fit and would be looking to do 50-80k a day.
What about doing an out and back on the Bicentennial National Trail? It starts in Healesville so pretty accessible from Melbs. Head out for a day or two, then back for a day or two.
Here's a good write up that might help you decide whether or not its for you: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=8146&v=1Nb

dA_bOmBbIkE

Likes Dirt
What are people's thoughts on GDT vs BNT from a riding perspective? I am looking for some fun riding as well as getting some k's in...

dA_bOmBbIkE

Likes Dirt
What are people's thoughts on GDT vs BNT from a riding perspective? I am looking for some fun riding as well as getting some k's in...

singleminded

Likes Bikes
dA_bOmBbIkE
I suppose it depends on which side of Melbourne you live on in terms of accesability.
Me and a mate are heading up to Keppel Hut, out from Marysville, in a couple of weeks. 100km from my front door to KH front door on the BNT. Planning on different return route of about 122km. Rooftop maps are probably the best maps to use for this.
GDT trails are well marked on their own map (not sure where to obtain that map, I got mine from Castlemaine visitors centre). Also great trails with plenty of re-supply options.
Enjoy whatever you do (if you haven't already done it)
GDT has a lot of single track. BNT is all fireroads.

Last edited:

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
Wozza will be out there somewhere!

I'm always up for a ride out there .. I've put a few day rides up on The Berm [our local Cnba MTB hub] a while back and never had a single response. I've ridden most of the trails out there over the past few years and never seen a soul, beats me, it's as near as I can get to heaven!
If I remember rightly, was that the ride that went from Braidwood to Numeralla but then there was no return loop? I think that put a lot of people off.

Most of the guys On The Berm are single trackers and people who like to race but they dont seem to like doing longer FT rides such as the Smokers trail ride that I did in February last year.

There are a few of us though that like heading out into the bush, family make it hard to just bugger off for me though.

poita

Likes Dirt
Looking for some wise words regarding super light weight sleeping options. Hoping for mostly mild southern summer temperatures and won't really be heading out in rain if I can help it (always a possibility though!). Will be out for 1 night max and hoping to use a bivvy bag or something similar.

I've had a bit of a rat around and come up with not alot, maybe my Google-fu is weak.

Are there any Australian made options, I'm a sucker for supporting the home team? And I HATE insects so I would need a net and likely a hoop over the head so they can't bite.

As for a mat, I've heard exped are the go, but a bit expensive. Also heard a sheet of ?tyvek as a bear grylls option? I would dearly love to bring my black wolf mega deluxe self inflating, but I have enough trouble getting that in the car, let alone the bike!!

Thanks in advance for any replies!

disappearin

Likes Dirt
I'm using a black diamond simple bivvy (450g), a vango venom +5 bag (700g) and a Kathmandu branded mat with built in pillow (600g). The black diamond bivvy has a mesh zip up section over your head or a full zip up setup if it's raining or cold, doesn't have a hoop but. Not super lightweight but light enough for me. I find it good to temps a bit below 0 degrees. If it's any colder I'll just sleep in thermals. For summer temps just a bivvy and mat usually does the job.

I've heard good things about the nemo gogo elite bivvy with the blow up hoop and the Zor mat but I've never been able to afford them!

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone done much riding around NZ? Particularly the South Island? There seems to be plenty of info about general touring, but I wouldn't mind getting onto the rough stuff. Apart from the few rail trails, is there much else?

Also, what do you guys consider light for a comfortable 1 person tent (i.e. not a total body bag)?

Last edited:

poita

Likes Dirt
I'm using a black diamond simple bivvy (450g), a vango venom +5 bag (700g) and a Kathmandu branded mat with built in pillow (600g). The black diamond bivvy has a mesh zip up section over your head or a full zip up setup if it's raining or cold, doesn't have a hoop but. Not super lightweight but light enough for me. I find it good to temps a bit below 0 degrees. If it's any colder I'll just sleep in thermals. For summer temps just a bivvy and mat usually does the job.

I've heard good things about the nemo gogo elite bivvy with the blow up hoop and the Zor mat but I've never been able to afford them!
Thanks for that. That Nemo tent is certainly pricey!

Sappa

Likes Dirt
Munda Biddi - Murry Bridge

Well thanks to this thread I finally got out there a did a short trip.

Started at Dwellingup and followed the Munda Biddi trail for about 30km to the first hut and stayed the night. Rode back the next morning.
Apart from it getting very cold early in the morning and I had to push my son up some hills it was a great trip. Big trees, hills, almost had dirt not sand, not a lot of pea gravel and lots of green and water.

God it is so nice to get out of the city.

My brother and my son having a break.

And I hope this is embedded correctly.

Last edited:

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone done much riding around NZ? Particularly the South Island? There seems to be plenty of info about general touring, but I wouldn't mind getting onto the rough stuff. Apart from the few rail trails, is there much else?

Also, what do you guys consider light for a comfortable 1 person tent (i.e. not a total body bag)?
So I did research into this, there are a few rides around the South Island. As well as lots of general on road touring. There is the Kiwi Brevet at the start of February which is a 700/1100km gravel race over 8ish days. Bit of hike-a-biking, but it's mainly meant to be on gravel roads/farm tracks. Seems like a painfully fun way to pop my off road touring cherry.