The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Tent / Bivy wise this also looks interesting... The weight isn't _that_ impressive (about a kilo) but the pack size is tiny (17*18cm). I guess carrying poles isn't really that much of a drama as they can always be strapped to the frame but the more places you have to stash stuff is more places that a loose buckle / strap can cost you gear!

Expensive though...

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
Cheers, sounds abit shady haha.

And website doesnt work haha.
That's the funny thing, I might have just caught a legitimate business during a difficult point but there isn't really anyway to know. They sure need some better I.T support though, the website has been broken for nearly 4 days now..... That has to hurt e-business.

I'll post up the results from the Bivvy after i spend a night in it this weekend

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Tent / Bivy wise this also looks interesting... The weight isn't _that_ impressive (about a kilo) but the pack size is tiny (17*18cm). I guess carrying poles isn't really that much of a drama as they can always be strapped to the frame but the more places you have to stash stuff is more places that a loose buckle / strap can cost you gear!

Expensive though...

I was looking at that earlier today. It has an interesting design.

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Bike is set, bags are packed and all that's left is to have Jimmy's Laksa for dinner, watch last nights stage of the Tour, sleep and then get up for the 5.45am train.

Let the Pie Eater commence!

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
Just did the final weigh in for my gear. 26kgs including 4 liters of fluids. Still too much weight on my back - i need to figure out how on earth Marshal Bird and Matthew Lee do it without anything on their backs! Certainly a larger seat bag will be forthcoming.

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Just did the final weigh in for my gear. 26kgs including 4 liters of fluids. Still too much weight on my back - i need to figure out how on earth Marshal Bird and Matthew Lee do it without anything on their backs! Certainly a larger seat bag will be forthcoming.
Money can buy you some really good kit.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Money can buy you some really good kit.
Pretty much. 1lb sleeping bag, 1/2 - 1lb bivvy....

Marshall had a water bladder in the top of his frame bag which has multiple pockets. I did c2c200 with just a 1.5L camelback and 2 large bottles. I reckon I could have done it with just 2 large bottles and left the camel back at home given there was clean water easily available at many places along the route. The only gear over and above for TDR would be (at a stab, compared to other lists) bag, mat and tarp. which I reckon I could have fitted in the two bags I had strapped on already. My bag & mat comes in at 800grams. a tarp and pegs is another 3-400grams or so

You have to remember, they're looking to race the TDR, you're out for a fast tour so your gear is going to be different. Matt Lee has said on the forums he packs light on the assumption that if he's uncomfortable at all, he just gets up and keeps riding. he also knows where all the water and food stops are along the route so knows how little he has to carry to get by...

*shrug*

Anyway, Hope you guys have fun! if we don't hear from you by tuesday, Can I have dreggy's 7/11 jersey?? :)

Cheers
Spoonie

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Any word from the Pie Eaters? I guess they're still out there somewhere. Went out for an overnighter in the same general area, used this for our light weight shelter, I think it would stand up to most conditions... :p

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
Any word from the Pie Eaters? I guess they're still out there somewhere. Went out for an overnighter in the same general area, used this for our light weight shelter, I think it would stand up to most conditions... :p
I'm back in the land of the living, I had to work monday. I left them starting a fire at 'the pines' camp-ground in the watagans right on dark last night. I am guessing the boys will be pushing up Mt sugarloaf fairly soon.... poor bastards.

Twas the most epic of rides. Weather was fantastic, magic trails... life doesn't get any better.

I'll get a blog post together tonight - i had nothing left in the tank last night and fell asleep as soon as I got home.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Is the Pines the campsite on the corner of Watagan Forest Road & Wollombi Forest Road? If so we can't of missed you by much.