The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Check out http://www.exped.com one of my mates just got a SynMat UL to replace a thermarest mat he had. He can actually sleep on his side with out his hip touching the ground, and weighing less than 500g and packing smaller he is much happier with it than his old thermarest (cheaper too).
I got one too. Its very light and very good. You can adjust the pressure inside to suit. I have mine so my hip touches the ground when I roll, but not when lying still on my side. It looks half inflated when your not lying on it. It packs really small. I'd recommend the exped pillow pump too. It reduces the moisture into the core compared to mouth blowing and offers a head rest for more comfort. The mat and pillow pump weigh less than my thermarest prolite 3.

If you sleep topless with the sleeping bag as a doona ie open when its hot, I recommend wearing a tshirt or something as you can stick to the synmat surface when sweaty.

My wife got them from www.outdoor-gear.com.au

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Seam sealing a TarpTent is a piece of cake. They give you good instructions. Just get some clear silicon in a tube from bunnings and use some shellite to dissolve it. Paint it on, wait 15mins and the jobs done. I've got a Stratospire 2 that we used for our trip last weekend. Seam sealing took about 10 minutes in total and there are lots of seams. Don't let the seam sealing put you off.

As for sleeping mats, the ultimate lightweight (but comfortable and warm) stuff is the Thermarest neoair. I use a 3/4 length one that weighs 250g. I combine that with the 3-way folding back protector out of my Gossamer gear pack for a full length sleep system:

Air mattresses can be cold to sleep on as the air in them is not good insulation. The neoair is warm because its got short triagular baffled air chambers that have space blanket like reflective internal surfaces. 6cm thick makes for great comfort over uneven ground or when sleeping on your side.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Just got back from Kiwi Brevet (finished in 6 days 11h).

Pizzazz, you should've backed up! Great country on KB. Going to try riding it fixed in 2014.

- Joel
Well done! I did think about it but then remembered about how expensive divorce is...

Looks spectacular though. It'll be interesting to see which brevet (if any!) run in NZ next year - the plan was to run them in alternate years but the NZ brevet guy (Simon?) decided to run in this year afterall...

Based on feedback from some of the guys at GSB, the experience of the two is quite different

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Hey hey,

The pig has recently jumped into this... self sufficient biking thing, having just picked up a surly long haul trucker... was wondering if the Rotorburnians in this thread could advise the pig of

1) Suitable brand and range of sleeping bags for bike touring?
2) ANy suggestions on a self inflating sleeping pad thingo? Although the pig comes well padded, need more comfort
3) any suggestions... any at all..

We are about to throw down some money on a TarpTent, but am so confused over the "seam sealing"..... is seam sealing a modern tent just to "ensure" no leaks? The tent we own is maybe.... 20 years old.... and is made of mastadon fur we think

The pig is leaving to do a few months cycling round japan this year... and will be asking many, many annoying questions in this thread.... sorry in advance.

porcinely yours

S
Sleeping bag... Western Mountineering thing - -2'c (about 300g)
After much looking at tarptents I decided that a bivy was a better options - Integral designs bugaboo was the one I went for light but (once you learn how to use it properly) pretty good in most weather conditions
Sleeping pad - Klymit X-Frame. Looks pretty funky but works better than it looks and is stupid light and stupid small. I sleep either on my back or side and its fine for both.

I've been using sea to summit dry bags and can attest that they are waterproof :)

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Thanks for all your help so far guys...

or

mina san, arigato gozaimasu.

any suggestions on places to shop for outdoory stuffs.... too would be nice. the pig knows lots of bike shops, chiko dispensories and of course, every donut store within 200 steps, but this outdoor stuff is all new to pig

s

WildWassa

Banned
Ok, so it was an 'event' but still a fairly decent unsupported ride into some serious back country...
Pizazz, G'day. I enjoyed your ride report. A good recovery and congratulations on finishing. Chapeau!

Hey Wassa, Not sure if SF was doing the BNT or if you were refering to our BNT experience.
John, yes Mate. Apologies. An equally enjoyable ride report. Which will go to several BNT coordinators.

This is the National horse trail
This was the National Horse Trail ... for the last 2 decades it has been the Bicentennial National Trail. Sorry, I had to write that ... just so sane people know what to avoid. I agree it is still a pack-horse track and it always will be and even then its only suitable for true mountain bred brumbies. Cyclist now well outnumber the horse riders on the BNT.

The comment you made about not being able to show the actual steepness of the track photographically, ... that fall-off in perspective always avoids showing others the pain. I've not been able to get that true ambiance through the lens either. Your photos are fantastic.

Congratulations to your riding partners too, a fantastic commitment. When I see reports like this, answering the inquiries about the BNT is well worth my time. Chapeaux au loin.

As a side note, I'm changing my tack on the way I've been mentioning and stressing the food requirements ... now I'm only going to say, a minimum of 7,000 calories a day for Victoria.

Those Revelate Designs bags look great.
That style appears to have been around for a tad. As displayed by the trend setter William Virgin when he crossed the Nullarbor back in 1897, riding from Perth to Brisbane in 60 days ... but Bill's bag was real leather.

In the 'Bicycle and the Bush' by Jim Fitzpatrick (Hesperian Press reprinted in 2002) he looks at how Australian riders developed and adapted bags for what was then known as Overlanding on push bikes. I never did get around to hanging an old style canvas water bag from my crossbar, doing that real bushie type stuff.

Just finished our 4-day trip through the Aust high country.
Oh did you? Come on, fess-up on how many Gu Gels? Did you ride Lone Pine or was that the 1 kilometre that you walked? If I did that trip nowadays I'd hopefully ride 1 kilometre ... ... hopefully.

Great effort Mate. As always.

Warren.

PS, I've got a confession. I did some flat-landing. I rode on the flood plains along the Murrumbidgee River, north of Wagga Wagga, in the Eastern Riverina ... and I liked it. I'd like to give you XC/Enduro Gurus a figure for the altitude gained over the ride, to put away for your future trips ... but there is none. One bridge possibly had a slight rise in the middle of it but I'm not sure. How does anyone claim a Strava KOM around Wagga and sleep straight or even live with themselves?

River Red Gums, near Eunony Lagoon, Eastern Riverina, NSW.

River Red Gum, Broman Lagoon, Eastern Riverina, NSW.

Last edited:

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...We are about to throw down some money on a TarpTent, but am so confused over the "seam sealing"..... is seam sealing a modern tent just to "ensure" no leaks?
Spanky,

Most tents are made from coated polyester and can be sealed using sealing tape. This sealing tape is applied to the "underside" of the fabric. Tarptents and there like are made from silnylon, sealing tape won't stick to silnylon so the seams need to be sealed directly with some sort of silicone sealant. Here is a helpful video:

[video=youtube;2doJ92EgTN4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2doJ92EgTN4[/video]

P.S. I just remembered, if you buy a Tarptent it will most likely come from a guy in Melbourne called Franco Darioli, he can seal it for you for a small fee. Here is his youtube channel with heaps of videos about Tarptent: http://www.youtube.com/user/francodarioli.

P.P.S. Here is some info re the differences in coatings from Roger Caffin's Bushwalking FAQ: http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_SiliconeVsPU.htm.

Last edited:

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for all your help so far guys...

or

mina san, arigato gozaimasu.

any suggestions on places to shop for outdoory stuffs.... too would be nice. the pig knows lots of bike shops, chiko dispensories and of course, every donut store within 200 steps, but this outdoor stuff is all new to pig

s
Most "ultralight" gear is pretty much on-line only, if you are not worried about weight then any of the major chain stores (like Rays or Anaconda) will do. Personally going ultralight is worth it, my overnight/multi day bushwalking pack is a f'ing lot lighter than it use to be since replacing a lot of heavy gear with lighter gear.

EDIT: If you want to go really light, check this gear out: http://zpacks.com/

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Oh did you? Come on, fess-up on how many Gu Gels? Did you ride Lone Pine or was that the 1 kilometre that you walked? If I did that trip nowadays I'd hopefully ride 1 kilometre ... ... hopefully.
We had good cooked dinners, but food from sun-up to sun-down was bloody powerbars and gels. A pie at Tharwa, hamburger at Adaminaby and huge steak at Khancoban were welcome supplements. Even so, its impossible eat enough calories to make up for what you burn on a trip like this.

Definitely had to walk some of the Lone Pine climb. Did about 600m of walking on the steepest bit around the locked gate. Also had to walk about a hundred metres of the track up the Dargals - the firetrail really doesn't exist anymore - its now overgrown and covered in fallen timber (this will probably be the last time we'll go that way if they don't maintain it and the Everhards Flat Trail). Also had to walk a few little pinches here and there. We rode alot more than I'd expected. Weight-weenieing is essential to keep the walking to a minimum. Brushing up on the ole trials skills helps as well.

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
I am a member of a local Canberra site called The Berm, this thread inspired me to start up a touring group. All of the guys I that have joined are not my normal group I ride with & I have not met them.

A little ride I did on Sunday. Not a multi day ride but a potential leader to one as I had not met one of the other guys before & rather than head out with people I dont know, I organised a ride.

http://www.theberm.com.au/profiles/blogs/smokers-trail-26-02-2012

droctagon

Likes Dirt
I am a member of a local Canberra site called The Berm, this thread inspired me to start up a touring group. All of the guys I that have joined are not my normal group I ride with & I have not met them.

A little ride I did on Sunday. Not a multi day ride but a potential leader to one as I had not met one of the other guys before & rather than head out with people I dont know, I organised a ride.

http://www.theberm.com.au/profiles/blogs/smokers-trail-26-02-2012
Nice write-up FatGuts. Keep 'em coming.

speshrider

Likes Bikes
That looks like a good ride FatGuts. We will be down your way soon for a holiday. We might try and do some of your ride...

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, I have a proper GPS route but I cant post it from work. I will do it over the weekend sometime as it will be pissing down & I wont be able to get out for a ride.

WildWassa

Banned
... the track up the Dargals - the firetrail really doesn't exist anymore - its now overgrown and covered in fallen timber (this will probably be the last time we'll go that way if they don't maintain it and the Everhards Flat Trail).
Summit, that's excellent information if I'm thinking of the same route that you took. In the past I've told cyclists on the BNT that Jagungal as a side trip, is a treat and can be a short cut into Khancoban (if they want to by-pass Manjar to Black Jack). It certainly was once a steep shortcut.

After Mount Jagungal, to get to Everards Flat Fire Trail, did you take the Round Mountain Fire Trail to Hell Hole Creek Fire Trail, then the Dargals Fire Trail ... over Broadway Tops on the Dargals Range?

Or did you continue south on the Grey Mare Fire Trail - to the Strumbo Fire Trail, go over Toolong then onto the Dargals Fire Trail and then Everards Flat Fire Trail?

There is nothing like keeping up to speed ... thank you.

There is a proposal for a new multi-use trail through Kosciusko NP, it is currently in the feasibility and early route planning stage. Being multi-use that sounds good for bike-packers and pack horsing.

Cheers.

Warren.

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
After Mount Jagungal, to get to Everards Flat Fire Trail, did you take the Round Mountain Fire Trail to Hell Hole Creek Fire Trail, then the Dargals Fire Trail ... over Broadway Tops on the Dargals Range?
This is the way we went, although I'm not sure on the location of Broadway Tops. Once you turn off the Hell Hole Creek trail you are immediately into the Dargals climb which is about 400m vertical over about 3km (almost twice as steep as the road climb up Black Mountain).

Here's a pic of the intersection between the Dargals and Everhards Flat fire trails. There is no discernible trail anymore, you just follow the patches without trees (although there's a fair amount of fallen timber as well because its a pretty exposed ridgeline).

Last edited: