The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

cheap option to give Bikepacking a go..

First time post I think. HI!!

I’ve got a few mates who are going to come on my next ride and it will be their first time bikepacking. We’ll be doing a 2 night ride into the area south of Tooma dam in Kosi Nat. I’ve been trying to find some kit for them that will get them going but will not cost a fortune and have an interesting option that maybe of interest to anyone looking to give it a go for first time.

Gear Carrying:
13 litre Alpkit heavy duty drybag strapped under seat.
8 litre version strapped to bars.
Use 2 mini shock cord tie downs to attach the bags each end.

Bags are 8.50 and 7.00 quid respectively and postage is 10 quid from the UK. Order from the ALPKIT site. Share postage with a mate and landed cost for both about $25. Pretty cheap option. You see these used a fair bit in the UK web sites strapped to bikes so they seem pretty tried and proven option.

I haven’t used the system in anger but I did fill the bags up and strapped them to my bike and took it for a ride. Seemed pretty solid once I’d played around with it a bit. The only potential downside to strapping a dry bag under your seat is leg rub. The solution is to taper the end of the bag by packing something relatively narrow down the end. I packed my exped rolled up mattress in the end, rolled the closure down on it to lock it all in, (actually used a small Velcro cinch strap to hold it all in place but not really needed), and this solved any leg rub issue. Both bags were rock solid when I attached them nice and tight. Pics below
13l+side+view.jpg

13l.jpg

The small shock cord tie downs I used I made up from shock cord you buy from Whitworth or BIAS boating and a small plastic “clasp” that the shock cord locks into. I used 60cm of shock cord per strap for the front bag and 80cm per strap for the back one. Pic below:
sc1.jpg

sc2.jpg

Straps cost about $3.50 each to make so all up the system costs about $40 and will give you close to 20 litres capacity strapped nicely to your bike. Weight for bags is 118gr for the 13 and 96 for the 8l. The cords are about 25gr each. So full kit is about 314gr. I’m currently using an Old Man Mountain rack with a 20l eVent dry sack strapped to it and the kit above is of course way under the kit using the rack, plus you spread the load a bit more and pull it in from the back a fair bit. No rattling rack either, (not that the OMM rack rattles much as it’s been a brilliant rack over the years!!).

The other thing I was looking for them was a relatively cheap and lightweight day pack. The packs on the ALPKIT web site look like a good very light weight option but are out stock. I stumbled across a clearance web site in OZ selling out a BlackWolf Ultralight 35 pack for $35 plus $10 delivered. Took the risk and bought one. It actually was delivered from the BlackWolf distributor so is genuine clearance stock. It’s an interesting pack and for someone who wants to give Bikepacking a go could be a cheap way in. The specs say the pack weighs 970gr. A bit on the high side for a 35 litre, (I use a Salomon 30 Raid Revo that is 680 grs). But for the extra weight it comes with a nice integrated rain jacket that zips away underneath and a pretty elaborate harness system with heaps of adjustment and support. So on balance for $45 delivered to door not a bad option.

When I got it, (2 days), I was pleasantly surprised. Seems comfortable, (I haven’t ridden with it just carried some stuff home from work to give it a try). It has a roll top closure but instead of closing back on itself like a normal roll down dry bag, each side clips to the side. A flap on the top front then either clips down to hold everything in place, but also has the clever option of flipping up and clipping up over the top. This is a clever option and would work well if you wanted to carry a sleep mat on top horizontally. Good compression straps at the side if you wanted to carry a sleep mat vertically though. Mesh pocket either side to carry water bottle or other small things. Hydration bladder should slip in the back OK, (without having to access pack).

I weighed it and was surprised that although the spec says 970, it weighed 866gr. The pack also came in a 55l version as well so maybe the 970gr was for the larger one. The rain cover also comes off easily and it weighed 66gr. It has a pretty big and beefy waist strap which maybe overkill, (depending how much you carry I suppose), but this also comes off easily and weighed 137g. That gets the pack down to a very respectable 663gr. Add back in a very basic alternative waist band, (say a small luggage strap cut in two 30gr) and you’re at 693gr. For $45 pretty good.

http://www.ishoptoday.com.au/products/BlackWolf-Ultralite-35-litre-Daypack.html

So in summary $40 and 314gr for the Dry Bags strapped to the bike and $45 and 693gr for the 35l day pack. If you can’t fit what you need in this you’re taking way too much. I reckon a pretty good and relatively cheap option for anyone looking to give it a go. The other challenge for my first time mates is a tent and sleeping bag. Their lucky that I can lend them a spare tent, but haven’t been able to solve the sleeping bag one for them. That maybe one area where you just need to bite the bullet and spend some cash. Though if your “carry” system is only costing $85 you may have some spare cash to spare, (keep an eye on the Campsaver Outlet !!)

Hope this helps.

Richard.

Last edited:

johnny_boy

Likes Dirt
@the lankyman.

Links to a couple I've done out east/north east. Amazing country out that way. This stuff was mainly dirt roads, so no real MTBing. All done on my cross bike.

Lilydale to Traralgon via Jamieson
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/158570540
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/158570533
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/158570521

Lake Eildon Super Loop (LEiSL)
(Sorry the route is incomplete. Garmin died pretty early on day 2. From there head south across towards Baw Baw via Link Rd, through Noojee and back to Lilydale)
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/192065145
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/192065128

Gippsland Gold
This is just a one-dayer, but a good starting point to add to for multi day adventures. PS; Started/finished in Yarragon, just forgot to switch Garmin off for drive home!
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/192065094

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Write up of a trip a couple of mates and I did over the weekend. Blackheath - Mittagong via 6ft track, Jenolan Caves, Yerranderie, and Wombeyan Caves... a great wander through the Blue Mountains and Kanangra Boyd national parks...

http://www.wannaberacer.info/2012/10/of-course-one-mans-fun.html

Enjoy...
Fantastic report Pizzaz. That's a trip I would really like to do. Although for a fat, unfit bugger like me it would be a 6 day trip at least. :lol:

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Fantastic report Pizzaz. That's a trip I would really like to do. Although for a fat, unfit bugger like me it would be a 6 day trip at least. :lol:
I was actually thinking about how to break it up a bit to make it a little more 'accessible'...

Day 1 - sensible start time then 6ft to Jenolan. 56km or so. Overnight at Jenolan (although you could stay at JC House which is at the top of the range (after the caves climb out which might be nicer than starting the day with a stupid climb...).
Day 2 - Jenolan - Yerranderie. About 100km or so (bit less - there's a detour on the bicentennial trail we missed which cuts about 10km off the trip).
Day 3 - Yerranderie - Wombeyan Caves. 80 or 90 km.
Day 4 - Wombeyan to Mittagong etc. (70ish km)

That would be pretty do-able for most people and would be camping free (if desired) as you can stay in huts etc...

Rhino

Squid
Rhino...here........mapping is well underway;
http://victorianbikepacking.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/gdt-bikepacking-event-febmarch-2013.html

The date will be the long weekend in March 2013. The terrain will mostly be the GDT, with a few diversions to take in suitable singletrack. The diversion between Bunninyong and Bacchas Marsh has also been ridden, and will be a welcome break between the trails.

The best bit will be, that everyone should (with longish but easy days), to do the event in the long weekend of 3 days. Also, for those who don't wish to camp, you could also stay in the towns along the way, and have a hot meal/shower/bed each night (ie: first night stay in Ballarat, the second night in Daylesford.....make a great weekend of it).

However, some absolute magical camping spots are along the way as well, and they will be listed in the file before the event. Super secret bivy spots with great views.

At this stage its 391kms long!

Any questions, I am pretty easy to track down.....

Last edited:

Flyboy01

Likes Bikes
SEQ Bikepacking ride

A few of us managed to get out last weekend (despite the crazy weather) for a gear test here in south east QLD.

As expected it was warm and humid, but on the plus side we didn't get struck by lightning!

Link to my blog with Part 1 and Part 2.

Rhino Dean0 and I are keeping an eye on your ride and it looks good! We are keen to come down to Mexico for a pedal if we can get ourselves organised.

Flyboy01

Likes Bikes
@ Flyboy, looks like a great trip. Do you have a list of gear you used?
The bags are all Revelate gear from Alaska. The "harness" on the bars is his old design. One of the guys had the new harness for his sleeping roll and it is much better, with a more secure mounting design.

My sleep set up consists of a Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker hammock, two car sunshades cut down and sewn together for double thickness as an insulation mat(this is the new bit I was keen to test). Because of the overnight temps here in SEQ my sleeping bag was left at home and I had an AMK Sol Thermal Bivy for my sleep system.

As we were passing through civilization along the ride I left the Jetboil stove and other cooking gear at home. The usual spares/multitool/leatherman/pump/tube/derailuer hanger etc were taken.

The bike is a 2010 Giant XTC29er fitted with a Maxxis Ignitor up front and a Maxxis Aspen out back, both tubeless at 30 psi. Not flats all weekend (or this year actually). Tubeless is the only way to go.

Last edited:

Flyboy01

Likes Bikes
I was actually thinking about how to break it up a bit to make it a little more 'accessible'...

Day 1 - sensible start time then 6ft to Jenolan. 56km or so. Overnight at Jenolan (although you could stay at JC House which is at the top of the range (after the caves climb out which might be nicer than starting the day with a stupid climb...).
Day 2 - Jenolan - Yerranderie. About 100km or so (bit less - there's a detour on the bicentennial trail we missed which cuts about 10km off the trip).
Day 3 - Yerranderie - Wombeyan Caves. 80 or 90 km.
Day 4 - Wombeyan to Mittagong etc. (70ish km)

That would be pretty do-able for most people and would be camping free (if desired) as you can stay in huts etc...
Hey Pizzaz, just wondering how you planned your route? Normal maps, google or word of mouth? I am a bit concerned with planning purely off the 'net in case you hit a dead end that can't be seen online and can't be gotten around on the day, what with time to be out there so short and all.
Be interested in how you planned your route.
Cheers
Dave

Great thread. Has anyone done any trips like this in Brisbane Forest Park? I live right next to it and would like to give it a go. I'm interested in the way stuff can be strapped to the bike without using a pannier rack, good inspiration. I've got an Orange singlespeed I reckon would be ideal for these sort of trips.

Flyboy01

Likes Bikes
Great thread. Has anyone done any trips like this in Brisbane Forest Park? I live right next to it and would like to give it a go. I'm interested in the way stuff can be strapped to the bike without using a pannier rack, good inspiration. I've got an Orange singlespeed I reckon would be ideal for these sort of trips.
I posted this back on page 63. There is a LOT of info buried in there, you just need the time to look. :pop2:

mrptl

Likes Bikes
Wood Stove

I discover this "mini bqq" in one of those awesome japanese outdoor magazine/catalogue (at Kinokuniya bookstore in Sydney CDB), that could be practical out there

nomad04.jpg

and thought it might be easy to make one myself instead of spending money on buying+shipping! With a bit google, I found the "masterplan" to make almost the same one as on the above picture: http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/stove.htm

My knowledge in metal work is zero point one; so perhaps one of you would know a bit. Would aluminium not be lighter and enough heat resistent? Would laser cut be possible? and where would be the cheapest to do some laser cut on metal (i can make a vector file easily)?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
A couple of stainless cake cooling racks wired together will give you all the camp BBQ options you need provided you are camping in a location that has a couple of suitable rocks that can be used as a support:

Flyboy01

Likes Bikes
Bit quiet in here lately, anyone done any trips recently?
Too much work and family stuff getting in the way for me but I am hatching some plans.

Don't know where the others are. Probably involved in Arizona Trail, Tour Divide or Mawson Marathon planning?