The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Bit quiet in here lately, anyone done any trips recently?
I've managed to get out a couple of times by taking my kids on their first ever bike camping trips. The mountains look a lot bigger when viewed through the eyes of your kids. Had some awesome weather and camped both times on mountain summits above 1700m. They're keen for more and it gives the wife the weekend off. Win-win.

I'm keen to go on my first bikepacking trip next weekend.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a 2-4 day circuit within a 4 hour drive from Canberra? I'll be doing this trip solo so I'll have to start & finish wherever I leave the car.

I was thinking about starting at Round Mountain car pack in Kosciusko NP, riding down to Guthega and then out to Geehi Dam before returning back to Round Mountain.

This track would be pretty much all fire trail and I would prefer to incorporate as much single track as possible so I'm open to suggestions.

climberman

Likes Dirt
Eucumbene - Happy Jacks Road - Grey Mare (stop off at Jagungal) - Valentines - Munyang - Island bend - Snowy Adit - Island Bend Fire trail - Nimmo - Eucumbene.

Lots of FT but plenty of 'double track'.

J.

Last edited:

singleminded

Likes Bikes
Too much work and family stuff getting in the way for me but I am hatching some plans.

Don't know where the others are. Probably involved in Arizona Trail, Tour Divide or Mawson Marathon planning?
I recon a few of the regulars would have been having a crack at the GDT event here in Victoria. A bit of info on FB but would love to hear some detailed reports on here.
About 400km with approx 9000m of ascent.

exigetastic

Cannon Fodder
Newbie Q

Hi All, after some advice.

I am visiting Sydney from the UK later this week for a friend's wedding. I'm going to be hanging round for 4 weeks before heading home, and would really like to get some bike packing in.

Unfortunately I can't bring my own bike (I will miss my Fatbike :(, but it's too heavy), so my vague plan was to pick up a cheapo rigid / or hardtail, and sell it on when I leave (I guess I could leave it my friend as a wedding gift :) )

I will be bringing my travel hammock, and tarp, not sure if that limits the sort of locations you can camp (I did read on one forum about national parks not liking tying things to trees)

This is my first trip to Australia, let alone Sydney, so any advice on some pretty "easy" (1 or 2 nights camping) would be greatly appreciated (as well as any steers as to where to pick up a decent bike would be helpful)

Thanks in advance

Si

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I will be bringing my travel hammock, and tarp, not sure if that limits the sort of locations you can camp (I did read on one forum about national parks not liking tying things to trees)

This is my first trip to Australia, let alone Sydney, so any advice on some pretty "easy" (1 or 2 nights camping) would be greatly appreciated.
Hi exigetastic,

As SummitFever said hammocks are not as popular here as they are overseas. Don't understand why not because after getting a hammock I don't think I will be going back to a tent unless I absolutely have to. See photo below.
DSC08163_scaled.jpg
I've never heard of park rangers having a problem with hammocks so I would be really interested in a link to where you read that if possible. Can't see a hammock limiting your camping options. In my experience it makes your choice greater, find two trees and away you go.

If your looking for something "easy" to do then the Six Foot Track is a possibility. Plenty of info on the web just Google "Six Foot Track".

Hope you enjoy your stay downunder.

Michael.

exigetastic

Cannon Fodder
Hi exigetastic,

As SummitFever said hammocks are not as popular here as they are overseas. Don't understand why not because after getting a hammock I don't think I will be going back to a tent unless I absolutely have to. See photo below.

I've never heard of park rangers having a problem with hammocks so I would be really interested in a link to where you read that if possible. Can't see a hammock limiting your camping options. In my experience it makes your choice greater, find two trees and away you go.

If your looking for something "easy" to do then the Six Foot Track is a possibility. Plenty of info on the web just Google "Six Foot Track".

Hope you enjoy your stay downunder.

Michael.
Thanks Michael,

Your setup looks _exactly_ like what I was thinking.

I checked my browser history and it was actually a government site I'd picked up the info from.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkSafetySupplies.aspx?id=N0026
"Ropes in trees: tying ropes to trees can cause ringbarking and other damage which exposes the tree to increased insect attack and disease. Over time this results in branch damage and potential death of the entire tree, posing a risk to visitor safety and leading to a loss of shade. Please bring extra poles or pegs for typing ropes."

Six Foot Track looks pretty good! In terms of elevation change /distance looks similar to one of my local day rides (of course temperature here is probably lower and I'm guessing you guys aren't seeing the snow/ice I did it last week). So would be good as a kit shakedown test.

Ta

Si

speshrider

Likes Bikes
Brisbane Easter ride

Haven't posted for a while, but would like to keep this thread going! Basically rode from Brisbane over Mt. Nebo to Fernvale on the dirt. From there I loosely followed the rail trail (it is closed in parts) to Esk. From there mainly via dirt backroads to Moore. Camped there over night in a pick nick area. The next day to Jimna via Linville,Louisavale and Monsildale Ck. This involved a lot of river crossings, the road is non existant after the rains and floods! From Jimna back to Brisbane via Connondale ranges NP, Mt. Kilcoy and Mt Mee...A great weekend of riding and camping! In the end probably 70% dirt, 30% road.

Some snapshots....

Bike set up, very happy with it, carried enough food for three days...

Top of the first climb

Rail Trail near Coominya

Back roads north of Esk

Camp at Moore. A bit fuzzy,must have been tired...

Rail trail near Linville

Monsildale Ck road

Old Louisaville station

Connondale NP

Near Mt Archer

Glasshouse Mountains

Last edited:

tex72

Likes Dirt
Loving the pics from all contributors to this thread, much thanks to all those keeping it alive.

Looks like you had a top weekend speshrider. Great photos. esp. the last 5. How many km's due you think covered in the 3 days?
Also was this a loop/out 'n' back or point to point? If it was the later, how did you go about returning
home?

Sorry for the questions but really starting to get the urge to get out there & give bikepacking a go.
Starting to get a bit of kit together, just trying to plan a route in my own neck of the woods. So
hopefully I can help keep it alive as well.

Last edited:

speshrider

Likes Bikes
Loving the pics from all contributors to this thread, much thanks to all those keeping it alive.

Looks like you had a top weekend speshrider. Great photos. esp. the last 5. How many km's due you think covered in the 3 days?
Also was this a loop/out 'n' back or point to point? If it was the later, how did you go about returning
home?

Sorry for the questions but really starting to get the urge to get out there & give bikepacking a go.
Starting to get a bit of kit together, just trying to plan a route in my own neck of the woods. So
hopefully I can help keep it alive as well.
This was a round trip, covering about 340 km's. I wasn't really pushing the pace anywhere, but they were pretty long days on the bike. Not too sure if you are from Brisbane, but there are lots of options for 2 day rides near Brisbane....

Last edited:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Haven't posted for a while, but would like to keep this thread going! Basically rode from Brisbane over Mt. Nebo to Fernvale on the dirt.
Great photos speshrider, looks like a great ride. I'm also keen to keep this thread going. So much great info in here.

Do any of the Newcastle or Sydney guys want to organise a trip in the next few months. I'm itching to get out there. I still need to buy my own tent and a good sleeping bag, but just floating the idea. Something epic from Newy to the Blue Mountains perhaps? Or Jenolan Caves to Canberra on the BNT? Any other ideas, or any interest in something like this?

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
Great photos speshrider, looks like a great ride. I'm also keen to keep this thread going. So much great info in here.

Do any of the Newcastle or Sydney guys want to organise a trip in the next few months. I'm itching to get out there. I still need to buy my own tent and a good sleeping bag, but just floating the idea. Something epic from Newy to the Blue Mountains perhaps? Or Jenolan Caves to Canberra on the BNT? Any other ideas, or any interest in something like this?
I'd be keen although I'm riding AZT over the next month and i'm pretty sure I will never want to see a bike again when I get back.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I'd be keen although I'm riding AZT over the next month and i'm pretty sure I will never want to see a bike again when I get back.
So, do you want 1 or 2 weeks recovery time when you get back pillwizard :lol: When does the AZT start? How long are you expecting it to take to complete? Good luck! Look forward to reading about it.

I'm thinking maybe a 3 to 4-dayer, over a weekend in late June/early July. Would be cold, but doable. If anyone else is interested, or has route ideas, let me know. Would either have to be a loop or point to point starting and finishing near a train station for ease of getting back. I'll leave it open for a while, get the ball rolling, then we'll set something in concrete once we get closer.