The Sketchup thread...

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Ben, I don't think your lovely wife would be completely reassured by your avatar, as much I am a fan.
Hmmmm Im thinking this is Hugh?

Thank for link Wolfcreekpsycho.

Just started using sketchup. Great program. I think google is on real winner here. Working in architectural game, I know a lot of people who love it.

Np's I like a lot of the cool textures and views that Sketchup has but Kerkythea really completes it.. here is an example I just knocked up.. took 30 seconds in Sketchup, then import to Kerkythea and apply some textures (water and brick) from the downloaded libraries. Add a scene as a background and then this is a "Medium" quality render : )

Last edited:

tomdh

Likes Bikes
I'm designing a DH frame atm and i was wondering if you guys could help me with ideas for a linkage design
here it is so far

that tube on the rear triangle can either be a bottom bracket or part of a gear box

tomdh

Likes Bikes
I'm not sure how to upload the sketchUp file as the unloader says it doesn't accept files other than BMP, JPG, JPEG, PDF etc.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Have pm'd you an email address.. i dont think you can post the file to the site, so your only other option would be to load it up to a web/ftp site if you have access.. personally i wouldnt bother.

Although I think you can also upload sketchup models to google.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
I've been playing around with it quite a bit at the moment for my Design and Tech major work.

I came up with this this Morning.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
mongoose have a similar theory in there design that it increases pedaling efficiency and reduces chain stretch and pedal feedback
the BB is isolated from both front and rear on the Mongoose (and GT). I really like the ride it gives...

In the above case for a single linkage between rear triangle and frame the BB will need to mount to the frame, not the rear triangle where the tube currently is, as said above.. it would be essentially feel like a hard tail. :)

tomdh

Likes Bikes
I'v heard about these, apparently it takes hours even days to render something as simple as as a disk rotor.
Its amazing the amount of time people put into these

tomdh

Likes Bikes
tread revival!

my new frame design
seat tube 431mm
Head Tube Angle 63*
Seat Tube Angle 66.8*
theoretical Top Tube Length 575mm
Center bb to center axel (chain stay) 435mm
down tube 673mm

Last edited:

jarrad7

Likes Dirt
Not too fussed with the colours, but the frame looks awesome! looks original and would look good in production;)

Jarrad

rockydog

Likes Dirt
Hey tomdh
A thought on the frame design;
The shock post things looks cool, but since they are so thin, there wouldn't be much lateral bracing.
In real life you could imagine the top tube and bottom tube getting out of alignment when under cornering pressure, for example.
I could be wrong, but worth a thought.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
tread revival!

my new frame design
seat tube 431mm
Head Tube Angle 63*
Seat Tube Angle 66.8*
theoretical Top Tube Length 575mm
Center bb to center axel (chain stay) 435mm
down tube 673mm

That is amazing. Such an awesome design, and personally by the looks of that I would almost say that could be worth trying to get one made, see how it goes if you have some spare coin. Awesome job though, but is that suspension design your own or a close copy of another? If it is a new one, and if it did work well I would most certainly be taking it off the net, could make a bit of $$$.

This was a Uni project from last year. Using Kerkythea as the rendering program. Pretty easy to understand.

cheers
Awesome design. I assume you are doing an architectural course? Looks great, have you got any more of your creations?

da_foles

Likes Bikes
That is amazing. Such an awesome design, and personally by the looks of that I would almost say that could be worth trying to get one made, see how it goes if you have some spare coin. Awesome job though, but is that suspension design your own or a close copy of another? If it is a new one, and if it did work well I would most certainly be taking it off the net, could make a bit of $$$.

Awesome design. I assume you are doing an architectural course? Looks great, have you got any more of your creations?
yeah doing Architecture at QUT. Here are a few more completed in sketchup.

Attachments