The stats are out into deaths and injuries in Australian sports

petertronica

Likes Dirt
"Similar injuries can have a range of causes such as head injuries where although sport is one of the activities that can lead to this injury, the leading cause are falls and transport," the spokesperson said.

So, transport injuries/deaths are included? Hmm. Not really clear is it.
If I'm cycling 4km to work in jeans and a coat and get knocked off, does that count as a 'sporting injury'?

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Similar injuries can have a range of causes such as head injuries where although sport is one of the activities that can lead to this injury, the leading cause are falls and transport," the spokesperson said.

If I'm cycling 4km to work in jeans and a coat and get knocked off, does that count as a 'sporting injury'?
Yes, if wearing Mambo shirt.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
" Cycling caused the most sporting injuries at 9,800 for the year, an increase of 35 injuries per week on the year prior. "

Undeniable & absolute evidence that ebikes are attracting idiots who are way too confident in their stupidity to think that just because they have to do fuck all up the hill means they're capable at descending. Christ, 67% of the people I see on the trails in Australia can barely hold onto a slippery can of soft drink. ;)

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Wonder what the proportion is of MTB riders throwing themselves at trees/ground compared to roadies going for high speed exfoliation?

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them

That the numbers don't include any relation to participation rates makes this more clickbait than actual useful data IMO. Am I supposed to conclude that cliff diving is much less dangerous than mountain biking? Recreational walking more likely to result in injury than hockey? What's the percentage of people in the 'cycling' category who would actually be considered participants in a sport, rather than just active commuters?

The data is next to useless without this context.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That the numbers don't include any relation to participation rates makes this more clickbait than actual useful data IMO. Am I supposed to conclude that cliff diving is much less dangerous than mountain biking? Recreational walking more likely to result in injury than hockey? What's the percentage of people in the 'cycling' category who would actually be considered participants in a sport, rather than just active commuters?

The data is next to useless without this context.
John Collins on LinkedIn: 60% of the time it works every time. - Brian  Fantana Speaking of…

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Anyway, how can all these injuries happen if people are wearing helmets.
I've had 2 friends crash in the last week, one with an elbow that looks like it went through a blender and a bit of other skin loss on a few body parts the other with a broken leg in 2 places, both with damaged helmets and zero head injuries.
Both in hospital, one for a week and the other 4 days and counting.
Get a helmet on that head @safreek ;)

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I've had 2 friends crash in the last week, one with an elbow that looks like it went through a blender and a bit of other skin loss on a few body parts the other with a broken leg in 2 places, both with damaged helmets and zero head injuries.
The like is not for WooHoo, people crashing, but rather Yay for lesser injuries due to protective gear.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I was nearly a death statistic yesterday, a driver in an SUV while on their phone veered to the other side of the road and almost mounted the gutter. I think if it wasn't for the fact that I screamed at them, they would have hit me. It was like a muppet show, after they looked up at the road and we were face to face they violently swerved to the other side of the road without braking. The whole SUV rocked like an out of control boat.

Last edited:

safreek

Fear not, with all the road riding I have been doing lately I do wear a helmet, when I hit the trails I will probably be back to my black beanie of safety though