The stupid questions thread.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New questions: why do you all assume that I'm going to bat my eyelashes for free shit or got a friend to do it? Sure I'll take it back to the mechanic, but if it's my fault I'll pay. Was just trying to find out if it was... though admittedly I didn't realise there were two different belts. Likewise I'm sure most people don't understand cognac vs. brandy (basic point: each to their own).

Secondly, moorey, why the first quote haha the reply doesn't make sense on both :p

Knut

Troll hunter
Check the belt (fan) for tension and wear. It could be damaged or glazed. Belt dressing is for shit mechanics. I have some info at home for you to look at if you are interested. If you can twist the belt to 180 degrees whilst it is on the pulleys, it is loose. About 90 is a good tension.

It doesn't sound like the AC belt. Can't see the car, so a little difficult to diagnose.

If it is a Holden Rodeo, it will do it regardless of what you do. They have the power steering pump on the same belt. They squeal in the mornings on cold start up and when turning corners.

I can PM you with some links to help if you want.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A helpful response, thanks Knut :) 2000 Mirage with no a/c or p/s. Little thing has been all but but flawless the five yeas I've owned it!

moorey

call me Mia
New questions: why do you all assume that I'm going to bat my eyelashes for free shit or got a friend to do it? Sure I'll take it back to the mechanic, but if it's my fault I'll pay. Was just trying to find out if it was... though admittedly I didn't realise there were two different belts. Likewise I'm sure most people don't understand cognac vs. brandy (basic point: each to their own).

Secondly, moorey, why the first quote haha the reply doesn't make sense on both :p
Farked if I know about the first quote. Fat fingers since gaining 80kgs.
Secondly, I'm all about free shit. I'd bat my eyelids if it got me anywhere. Back in my waiting days, I worked in a town that was a gay mecca. A bit of flirting sure got the tips flowing.

As the handsome Knut says, very simple job, and usually requires no more than a spanner and a lever. I'm guessing you do your own bike maintenance, and will be easier than that on most cars as long as its not in a shit of a spot to access.
I doubt that a mechanic would charge you for the job, particularly if it's someone who's worked on your car before. YouTube would also give you the gist.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Fat fingers since gaining 80kgs.

Back in my waiting days, I worked in a town that was a gay mecca. A bit of flirting sure got the tips flowing.
You must be a fat bastard now after gaining 80kg!

And are you sure you want to leave that second quote as it stands? Guess it explains E.A.D.

HB I assumed the fan belt was ok because any decent mechanic would have told you it needed replacing when the timing belt was done. Easy fix as said. The fan belt and lots of other naughty bits would have been removed to get to the timing belt so get your mechanic to tighten it.

moorey

call me Mia
You must be a fat bastard now after gaining 80kg!

And are you sure you want to leave that second quote as it stands? Guess it explains E.A.D.
I went from 70kg to 150kg, but some of that is probably muscle.
Quote stands. I was tipped $150 one night for just being friendly with an overly fabulous couple of old smokers. There's a fine line between man whoring and great service :love:

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why have all the Nukeproof DH bikes/frames disappeared from CRC? They were there a couple months ago when I was looking at buying one.

moorey

call me Mia
They're off at the paint shop being painted and stickered up as team replicas, to jack up the price and sell as special editions to Sam fanboys. Obvious, isn't it.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Johathan Moylan..........champion for the environment and pretty clever guy or fraudster who should be seriously punished for taking advantage of the herd instinct?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Johathan Moylan..........champion for the environment and pretty clever guy or fraudster who should be seriously punished for taking advantage of the herd instinct?
I'm inclined towards "farkin' legend", but happy to hear arguments to the contrary.

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Clever use of media on his part; environmental assymmetrical warfare at it's finest.

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Any tips on getting gum sap out of car paint?
You have a few options, first try bug and tar remover as it is gentle on paint, use something like eucalyptus oil, if that doesn't work then try a citrus based solvent, you can get a pretty good one at supercheap, Cant remeber the name but it cames in an orange spray borrle about 10 bucks from memory. Only problem is it will strip any waxes etc from the paint so you will need to polish and wax the affected area afterwards.

If it's all over the car it may be easier to call a car detailer and get it buffed off.