The stupid questions thread.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Vi if the steerer is 11/8" and the bars 31.8 (11/8") I should have a 50mm stem in the box of bits that you can have assuming I can find it! Average condition though.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Actually, there are three bar sizes & two fork steerer sizes that it could be. The steerer will be either 25.4mm (1") or 28.6mm (1 1/8"), while the bar could be 25.4, 26.0 (despite the closeness in size, the two cannot be messed around with as far as bar & stem mixing) & 31.8mm. By far the easiest way to measure is to use a vernier caliper & simply measure the bar diameter as close as possible to the edge of the stem, and to remove the top cap on the steerer & measure inside the stem there.
Based on the fact Kona didn't make bikes in the dark ages, i'd make a pretty solid assumption it wouldn't be running a 1" steerer. And in the past 10 years of riding and dealing with bicycles and bicycle components i've rarely come across a 26.0 bar or stem. While you make reasonable and correct points, I don't think Violet needs to be too concerned that it'll be something odd..a quick trip to the LBS with the current stem will have her walking out with a new one of the correct size in no time.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
There are only two sizes. Or two that are really used nowadays anyway. 25.4mm (standard) and 31.8mm (oversize). If the bars where the stem will be clamped are much wider than your thumb, you'll most likely need an oversized stem.
Actually, there are three bar sizes & two fork steerer sizes that it could be. The steerer will be either 25.4mm (1") or 28.6mm (1 1/8"), while the bar could be 25.4, 26.0 (despite the closeness in size, the two cannot be messed around with as far as bar & stem mixing) & 31.8mm. By far the easiest way to measure is to use a vernier caliper & simply measure the bar diameter as close as possible to the edge of the stem, and to remove the top cap on the steerer & measure inside the stem there.
Vi if the steerer is 11/8" and the bars 31.8 (11/8") I should have a 50mm stem in the box of bits that you can have assuming I can find it! Average condition though.

thanks guys, i'll see what i can do today. the FIL ought to have a vernier caliper somewhere here, he's a mechanic and rod builder.

Dales Cannon, i'd be more than happy to take that 50mm off your hands if it fits, this bike, albeit very useful, really is just a scrapper the OH picked up cheap for me so i wouldn't stress about leaving it chained up at the shops. i'll PM you and talk $$ :)

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Also sizes, they might tend to discount frames that fall outside the 'typical' size (if there is such one?). Like presumably there's more M frames sold than XL or even L frames, so they'd be the only ones left at any potential run out sale.
Medium & Large are the two most commonly sold frame sizes, with small not far behind. The extremes are the ones that need a bit of "encouragement" to get out the door. You are basically on the right track though.

moorey

call me Mia
thanks guys, i'll see what i can do today. the FIL ought to have a vernier caliper somewhere here, he's a mechanic and rod builder.

Dales Cannon, i'd be more than happy to take that 50mm off your hands if it fits, this bike, albeit very useful, really is just a scrapper the OH picked up cheap for me so i wouldn't stress about leaving it chained up at the shops. i'll PM you and talk $$ :)

You can do a dodgey, Vi. 31.8 (oversize), will have a circumference of almost bang on 100mm, 25.4 will be almosy bang on 80mm. Its unlikely to be 28.6, but if so, the circumference will be almost bang on 90mm. Grab a tape measure (so a bit of string), and wrap it around the bars at the clamp point.

0psi

Eats Squid
Medium & Large are the two most commonly sold frame sizes, with small not far behind. The extremes are the ones that need a bit of "encouragement" to get out the door. You are basically on the right track though.
Hhhmm, I'm after a Small Specialized Shiv. I'm guessing framesets rarely go on sale though right?

The Shiv pro frameset apparently hasn't sold too well as the base model complete bike is only $500 more but then I'm thinking there aren't any parts that might be superseded by next years model so the framesets probably won't be discounted.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Depends on the production run of the frame to an extent. It's fairly standard practice to build a given frame for two or three years, just changing the paint each year. I don't know Spesh's frame update schedule, but you'd be more likely to get discounts on framesets when there's a new version on the way.

As it is, it doesn't seem to be widely publicised by distributors that framesets are available at all, let alone any specials.

0psi

Eats Squid
Is there any riding to be had in Kununurra?

So I've been trying to sell a frame for a while now and it finally sold on ebay but to a bloke who opened an account the same day he purchased the frame and he's listed his location as Kununurra, which yes is 980km from the middle of nowhere. I sent him a message asking about post and have had no response, sent him an invoice updated with postage costs, still no response. So I'm a little sus about this and think it might just be some idiot who sent me a low ball offer which I've rejected and now they're being a tool.
Now where it gets a little tricky is that if I didn't sell the frame this time around I was going to get some wheels built up and try to sell the bike as a complete. I don't want to tell ol' mate that I'm going to get some wheels off him and he builds them and the guy finally comes through with the sale.

So if there is actually no riding in Kununurra then that seals the deal for me. Also what do you guys think is a reasonable amount of time to get a response from someone who's committed to purchasing something from you on ebay?

moorey

call me Mia
What ever happened to STPs? They were like the only topic of discussion on here in 07' and 08'.
All the kiddies are riding Nox these days.....well, both of them are. I'd love to get hold of a sweet sweet Nox airborne for a good price.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
All the kiddies are riding Nox these days.....well, both of them are. I'd love to get hold of a sweet sweet Nox airborne for a good price.

i see what you did there :lol: i'd love to take it off your hands but i just bought another BMX frame to build myself a 20" race bike...

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
When will it be cool to take the Chev badges off Commodores and put the Holden badge on again?

Shredden

Knows his goats
Why are BMWs so cheap second hand?

2003 X5s are from like 14k, 318i's are like 4k for a 99' model.

Almost cheap enough to change my mind about getting a Gen 3 Impreza for a first car.

moorey

call me Mia

Almost cheap enough to change my mind about getting a Gen 3 Impreza for a first car.
I'd guess the upkeep and servicing costs. They will also either smell of old rich bitches or have been thrashed by cashed up bogans. Anyway, aren't you meant to be earning a free slab from me? chop chop....

rumblefish

Likes Dirt

Service costs as Moorey said, and Insurance. Once certain car models get to about 10 years old, the cost of insurance starts to go up even though the value goes down. The insurance companies claim that it is the lack of parts to repair them if they get damaged.