The stupid questions thread.

moorey

call me Mia
No matter what time I get up, 10 minutes later, I'm urgently needing to bust out a nug nug. 4am or 8am. Like clockwork. If I slept till dinner time, it would be the same.

edit. What's up with that!! (Happy, DC?)

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
That's not even a question, just stupid. And if you have to "bust" it out perhaps some dietary revisions are in order, like eating a small jackhammer from time to time. G'day Moorey!

Last edited:

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Was the first place i looked DC, no pricing unless you set up a business account though....
I'd hit up Ross at Craftbrewer, http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/, and let him know what you want to do. They supply the Mykegonlegs CO2 cylinders, http://www.mykegonlegs.com.au/, as well as all the other kegs, regs, fittings and line needed to gas up liquids. You can also get a whole bunch of different flavours if you're after something other than plain soda water.

scblack

Leucocholic
I'd hit up Ross at Craftbrewer, http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/, and let him know what you want to do. They supply the Mykegonlegs CO2 cylinders, http://www.mykegonlegs.com.au/, as well as all the other kegs, regs, fittings and line needed to gas up liquids. You can also get a whole bunch of different flavours if you're after something other than plain soda water.
Beat me to it. Thats the guy I used for all my gear. Great service, and genuine GOOD help from them.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot. And nope, straight fizzy water for me. Used it to get off energy drinks and found myself a new addiction (go figure!) At least it's healthier I guess? :mullet:

0psi

Eats Squid
Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot. And nope, straight fizzy water for me. Used it to get off energy drinks and found myself a new addiction (go figure!) At least it's healthier I guess? :mullet:
Funny that. A girl at work used to drink mineral water to stop her drinking beer, apparently worked quite well. I drink soda water in the evenings to stop me drinking soft drink.

C?n bán LK7 ô 29 d? án Tân Tri?u, di?n tÃ*ch 60,6m2 x 4 t?ng, hu?ng dông Nam, du?ng tru?c nhÃ* 13m, m?t ti?n r?ng >5m
chi ti?t xin vui lòng liên h?: Mr Son 0909858789

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
C?n bán LK7 ô 29 d? án Tân Tri?u, di?n tÃ*ch 60,6m2 x 4 t?ng, hu?ng dông Nam, du?ng tru?c nhÃ* 13m, m?t ti?n r?ng >5m
chi ti?t xin vui lòng liên h?: Mr Son 0909858789
I believe that is because of the fluctuations in the wholesale price of oil. If you look back to the 70s oil crisis it was a lot worse.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
This post will seem disjointed at first, but stick with me, its all related.

Why the hell do we all drive around 1.5 tonne cars with 4 spare seats 90% of the time? Its handy to carry stuff and stay out of the weather, sure, but this is exactly why we have traffic congestion, because 1 person is taking up 2 x 4 metres of space on the road, when it could be effectively a 5th of that if all seats were being used, or 1 x 2m for a motorbike.

A couple of calculations for road space (m^2) taken up to move 5 people:
1 person per car = 5 cars x 2 x 4m = 40 sq metres
5 people per car = 1 car x 2 x 4m = 8 sq metres
1 person per motorbike = 5 motorbikes x 1 x 2m = 10 sq metres.

My car is coming up to needing some major work to keep it as a daily driver. Its not worth that much, so paying someone to do all the work wouldn't be worth it. I could hang onto it and do it myself for about $500 in parts, but then it would be off the road for a month and I'd also have to do the work at my parents place (which is a 7hr drive away) because that's where there's space and where all the tools are. So that is a major inconvenience.

All this got me thinking (and here's the stupid question), should I sell the car and get a motorbike instead? I live 10min walk from a train station, I ride my bike to uni, and I currently drive to work. I like to take the bike out for day trips to the Blue Mountains, etc, on weekends, and sometimes I take guitars and amps around to a friends place to jam. So yes, I do use the car to cart stuff around occasionally, but nothing a 6-pack couldn't convince a friend to give me a lift for.
My main concern is firstly, safety and secondly, whether or not a L-plater suitable motorbike would be comfortable and suitable for riding long distances home every few months?

Norco Maniac

Is back!
This post will seem disjointed at first, but stick with me, its all related.

Why the hell do we all drive around 1.5 tonne cars with 4 spare seats 90% of the time? Its handy to carry stuff and stay out of the weather, sure, but this is exactly why we have traffic congestion, because 1 person is taking up 2 x 4 metres of space on the road, when it could be effectively a 5th of that if all seats were being used, or 1 x 2m for a motorbike.

A couple of calculations for road space (m^2) taken up to move 5 people:
1 person per car = 5 cars x 2 x 4m = 40 sq metres
5 people per car = 1 car x 2 x 4m = 8 sq metres
1 person per motorbike = 5 motorbikes x 1 x 2m = 10 sq metres.

My car is coming up to needing some major work to keep it as a daily driver. Its not worth that much, so paying someone to do all the work wouldn't be worth it. I could hang onto it and do it myself for about $500 in parts, but then it would be off the road for a month and I'd also have to do the work at my parents place (which is a 7hr drive away) because that's where there's space and where all the tools are. So that is a major inconvenience.

All this got me thinking (and here's the stupid question), should I sell the car and get a motorbike instead? I live 10min walk from a train station, I ride my bike to uni, and I currently drive to work. I like to take the bike out for day trips to the Blue Mountains, etc, on weekends, and sometimes I take guitars and amps around to a friends place to jam. So yes, I do use the car to cart stuff around occasionally, but nothing a 6-pack couldn't convince a friend to give me a lift for.
My main concern is firstly, safety and secondly, whether or not a L-plater suitable motorbike would be comfortable and suitable for riding long distances home every few months?

That would be because a) it sucks looking for work when every employer in the three fields I'm qualified for expects you to be available over a 7 day rotating roster on call

b) every employer and other random person assumes you ride a commuter bike because you lost your licence for drink driving and

c) if you live anywhere there's Bogan Commodore drivers be prepared to have insults being the least of what's thrown at you regardless of your gender.

i rode a moto exclusively back in the day. It wasn't much different and I have a dual spinal injury to prove how little a motorcyclist's life is valued by motorists or police.

Sorry Officer, I didn't see the (motor)cyclist....

Last edited:

Bermshot

Banned
I rode moto's back in the day (motocross) and never had a desire to ride a road bike due to ' I've read this before' pelicans you have no control over. On your bike you can ride out of the way, on a motor bike you have to abide the rules, and rules can get you killed.

Is that right Vio?

Elbo

I rode moto's back in the day (motocross) and never had a desire to ride a road bike due to ' I've read this before' pelicans you have no control over. On your bike you can ride out of the way, on a motor bike you have to abide the rules, and rules can get you killed.

Is that right Vio?
That's what annoys me. Its not me I'm worried about, I know with proper training and experience I could ride well. Its me on a motorbike surrounded by everyone else driving like idiots and not being able to control it that has stopped me from getting one.
I guess its like the Road/MTB split… I have no desire to ride on the road unless I have to (particularly in Sydney). But I get my fix on the MTB. I think realistically, if I get a motorbike, it'll be the same thing… a dirt or enduro bike to enjoy, not to play pinball with traffic. It's sad it has to be like that though…

Bermshot

Banned
There are others that will disagree re: keeping safe on the road on a motor bike, but my 35 yrs on the pushie, I won't see it. Mentioning Syd, I wouldn't dare ride a motor bike in there nor a roadie, but I have ridden BMX's and suspension bikes in there. But hey, I don't care what padestrians think even though I factor them in. Is there a difference there?

Being a pushie courier in town would be excellent but not for $3. a package!

0psi

Eats Squid
Is there anywhere in Port Stephens where you can hire sailing dinghys? Something like a Hobie 16 or a Laser, me googling only brings up motorboats or big yachts.

Elbo

Why are clip in shoes and pedals called "clipless"?
Its a reference to track cycling. They're called clipless because they lack the toe clip & strap track cycling pedals used to have. Track cycling pedals used to consist of a flat platform, a toe clip and a strap you would tighten to lock your foot in. So clipless pedals are called clipless because they retain your foot without the use of the old toe clip & strap system. Some track cyclists still strap in as well as use cleats for extra retention. There's a lot of power being put through the cranks and with a fixed wheel and high speeds, having your foot come out mid-race could be disastrous.

That's what annoys me. Its not me I'm worried about, I know with proper training and experience I could ride well. Its me on a motorbike surrounded by everyone else driving like idiots and not being able to control it that has stopped me from getting one.
I guess its like the Road/MTB split… I have no desire to ride on the road unless I have to (particularly in Sydney). But I get my fix on the MTB. I think realistically, if I get a motorbike, it'll be the same thing… a dirt or enduro bike to enjoy, not to play pinball with traffic. It's sad it has to be like that though…
not necessarily,

get a track bike