The stupid questions thread.

moorey

call me Mia
I read that cops in NSW have moving cameras with a range up to 800m... Just wondering if I need to be looking off into the horizon, as well as the roadside if I am bending the speed limits a bit on the abandoned roads on the route to school.
Here's an idea...don't fucking speed. You've seen the stats on P plate crashes, yeah?:mmph:

Shredden

Knows his goats
Here's an idea...don't fucking speed. You've seen the stats on P plate crashes, yeah?:mmph:
You mean... this one? ;)

graph-11.jpg

As a rule I don't, but this road is wide as fuck, visibility for several kilometers, and almost entirely unused as it is inline with 2 other freeways going to the same place - and the limit is 80. I sit on 95 or 100... I dont think its toooo dangerous, but I am young and probably have a reduced sense of self-preservation. I dunno.

moorey

call me Mia
You mean... this one? ;)

View attachment 297504

As a rule I don't, but this road is wide as fuck, visibility for several kilometers, and almost entirely unused as it is inline with 2 other freeways going to the same place - and the limit is 80. I sit on 95 or 100... I dont think its toooo dangerous, but I am young and probably have a reduced sense of self-preservation. I dunno.
Yep. No excuses.... Just...NO

Matt C

Likes Dirt
You mean... this one? ;)

View attachment 297504

Yep, you said it. You're young and acting like a fucking idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I've been pinged by the Highway Patrol when they've been parked up at the side of the highway before. They didn't bother coming after me, just sent a fine through the post.

Speaking of which, 'hypothetically' if you were doing a long drive -say between two state capitals- and in the 8 - 10 hour duration of that drive you passed 2 or 3 police speed traps whilst ever so slightly exceeding the speed limit (we're talking around 105 - 107km/hr). Would you be able to challenge the fines and more importantly the trifecta of points if you received all 3 in the post shortly after?

My reasoning is that a driver can never be entirely sure how accurate their speedometer is -in the UK the cops HAVE to allow a 10% margin for this. If the first 'Kojak with a Kodak' didn't bother to pull you over and just took a happy-snap and sent it off for processing then as a driver you would have no way of knowing that you were exceeding the limit until it was too late. If the following two fines are for approximately the same speed, surely you would have a good argument - particularly if a license is at stake because of the multiple points- that you were oblivious to the error in your speedometer and that it may even be slightly negligent of the police not to notify you that you were speeding.

Minlak

custom titis
I've been pinged by the Highway Patrol when they've been parked up at the side of the highway before. They didn't bother coming after me, just sent a fine through the post.

Speaking of which, 'hypothetically' if you were doing a long drive -say between two state capitals- and in the 8 - 10 hour duration of that drive you passed 2 or 3 police speed traps whilst ever so slightly exceeding the speed limit (we're talking around 105 - 107km/hr). Would you be able to challenge the fines and more importantly the trifecta of points if you received all 3 in the post shortly after?

My reasoning is that a driver can never be entirely sure how accurate their speedometer is -in the UK the cops HAVE to allow a 10% margin for this. If the first 'Kojak with a Kodak' didn't bother to pull you over and just took a happy-snap and sent it off for processing then as a driver you would have no way of knowing that you were exceeding the limit until it was too late. If the following two fines are for approximately the same speed, surely you would have a good argument - particularly if a license is at stake because of the multiple points- that you were oblivious to the error in your speedometer and that it may even be slightly negligent of the police not to notify you that you were speeding.
100% not..... A good lawyer may get you off some other way but the speedo in your car is completely at your risk.. Any modern car will read low. Both my subarus by speedo 112 is 100 by gps

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
You mean... this one? ;)

View attachment 297504

You certainly do have a reduced sense of self preservation as a teen/early twenties male. That means now is a good time to take risks, you are less likely to be paralyzed by fear when it all gets out of shape.
As long as you are by yourself and there is no other traffic, take all the risks you want, it's your life, your body.
You should get a motorcycle; they teach the best road/life lessons.

Disclaimer, don't come crying to me if/when you fuck yourself up. On the bright side, if you survive you'll be a good road user.

A track day is probably the best place to cut loose, but they can be hard to access.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
100% not..... A good lawyer may get you off some other way but the speedo in your car is completely at your risk.. Any modern car will read low. Both my subarus by speedo 112 is 100 by gps
I refuse to accept this so I've got off my arse and googled it.

It turns out that... ( according to http://www.trafficlaw.com.au/demerit.points.html)

How to avoid incurring demerit points.

If you have received a Victorian infringement notice for an offence which carries demerit points, then there are ways to avoid getting points recorded against you:

you could elect to take the infringement notice to court and be acquitted of the charge, or
for a camera offence you can nominate the driver or person responsible for the vehicle if you were not driving (a "known user statement") or make an unknown driver declaration if you are unable to determine who was responsible (an "unknown user statement"), or declare that the vehicle or the number plates were stolen (an "illegal user statement"), or
if you have multiple fixed speed camera offences detected within a couple of weeks of each other, you may be able to have some of the infringement notices withdrawn, or
if you have not incurred any demerit points in the 2 years prior to getting a 1 point speeding ticket, then you should ask the penalty review board at the traffic camera office to withdraw the infringement notice and issue you with a warning instead.

If you have a demerit point problem you should consider getting legal advice at the earliest opportunity by making an appointment to see me. You will need to bring a print-out of your last 5 years of demerit points history (obtainable from VicRoads), plus copies of all infringement notices that you still have, plus any correspondence you have received from VicRoads regarding your points. In many cases I succeed in helping people avoid licence loss.
One of the 'hypothetical' speed traps may have been in South Australia so I'm not entirely sure how that works with interstate but it looks a bit more promising.

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
You certainly do have a reduced sense of self preservation as a teen/early twenties male. That means now is a good time to take risks, you are less likely to be paralyzed by fear when it all gets out of shape.
As long as you are by yourself and there is no other traffic, take all the risks you want, it's your life, your body.
You should get a motorcycle; they teach the best road/life lessons.

Disclaimer, don't come crying to me if/when you fuck yourself up. On the bright side, if you survive you'll be a good road user.

A track day is probably the best place to cut loose, but they can be hard to access.
And the Oscar for worst advice given over the internet, to anyone, ever, under any circumstances goes to.............Bjorn!!!!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
And the Oscar for worst advice given over the internet, to anyone, ever, under any circumstances goes to.............Bjorn!!!!
Indeed.

Shredden, while the goats if the world would be safer speeding isn't with it. Aside from the obvious to adults danger, it is pretty embarrassing explaining to your buddies that the trio to the petting zoo if off cause you lost your lisence. It also slows down the new bike funds. And should you ever find women attractive, their mothers are unlikely to let them in the wagon with you. Being known for hooning is about as good for your sex life as being known for having herpies.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Indeed.

Shredden, while the goats if the world would be safer speeding isn't with it. Aside from the obvious to adults danger, it is pretty embarrassing explaining to your buddies that the trio to the petting zoo if off cause you lost your lisence. It also slows down the new bike funds. And should you ever find women attractive, their mothers are unlikely to let them in the wagon with you. Being known for hooning is about as good for your sex life as being known for having herpies.
And you edited for a living? You're like the chef that only makes toast at home........

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
As long as you are by yourself
it is pretty embarrassing explaining to your buddies.... should you ever find women.... Being known for hooning is about as good for your sex life as being known for having herpies
I think you are overlooking this irresponsible teen's particular follicular shortcoming.

A "very strawberry blond" will never be concerned with this sort of argument.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
And you edited for a living? You're like the chef that only makes toast at home........
I like to think of it as the way Joyce would have rolled...if he had auto correct. Been thinking of turning it off lately as it has been making some unusual improvements. But then I would need to actuly proof my dribble...and who does that on a phone?

And yeah I'm pretty lazy sometimes.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Any modern car will read low. Both my subarus by speedo 112 is 100 by gps
No, they read high. Reading low would mean the indicated speed is lower than the actual speed, and I believe ADRs prohibit that these days.

Interesting you've got such a variation (I think the ADR-allowed tolerance is 10%, e.g. actual speed at indicated 100 can't be less than 90 km/h); my Subie is about 3% (97 at indicated 100).

Minlak

custom titis
No, they read high. Reading low would mean the indicated speed is lower than the actual speed, and I believe ADRs prohibit that these days.

Interesting you've got such a variation (I think the ADR-allowed tolerance is 10%, e.g. actual speed at indicated 100 can't be less than 90 km/h); my Subie is about 3% (97 at indicated 100).
We'll that could see me sued yes your correct I mean your speed will be under the speedo reading.

Minlak

custom titis

I had my Suzuki GSXR 1000 mapped on a dyno and got them to check my speedo and the amount was always progressive 60 reading was 56 actual.... 100 reading was 92 actual and 122 reading was 110 actual very progressive... 299 reading on the gps was 286 but :) but then at 299 the speedo just flashes and you are still accelerating :)

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Thanks Pastavore.
I do wonder about this mania with the preservation of human life; it is not as if we as a species will go extinct from road trauma.
I believe every persons life is their own, to do with as they will. Sure, mother and father Shredden will shed a tear if Theo cashes in his chips, as I'm sure others will too. Ultimately though, it is his life and no one elses. As long as he doesn't take out a family, a bus load of kids, or one of his mates if it all goes horribly wrong, it's his choice.

Motorcycles are good for finding the limits of your ability on and seldom do much harm to anyone else.

It comes down to whether you believe you belong to yourself or a greater society.

stirk

Burner
I love when idiots speeding think they are getting ahead of you only to pull up next to them at the next set of lights in the city, or if you are on the highway catch up to them at the next town where traffic slows right down and 10-15 kph over the speed limit means shit over these whole journey. (Busy East coast of Australia that is)

Give them a nod of recognition to really piss em off!

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
probably a stupid question but here goes

I've just bought my first dropper post - currently when I put the bike on the maintenance stand I clamp it via the seat post. Can I still do this with the dropper?