The stupid questions thread.

stirk

Burner
I have a new bike and the rear brake is spongy so i research.

Chopsticks suggestion to search Redtube is no help so I use google instead.

I find an article about burping the system. Follow the steps to burp and it works well with air bubbling out and the brake firm but now I find the oil level low.

I have no shimano oil but have oil for hair clippers, same thing right?

Smells the same feels the same, ok to use?

stirk

Burner
just hit up red-tube again, and top up your brakes with excess bodily fluids... SIMPLE!
Yeah the clipper oil serves three purposes!! Lube the clippers, shimano brake oil and assistance against excessive chaffing from too much redtube viewing abuse

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Is it hypocritical for my hippy mate to fly to New York to attend the international day of climate action?
Ask him if he's planted enough trees to offset his carbon footprint.
If he says he is paying for the carbon offset, ask him how many trees he's planted to offset the power used by the computers involved in the EFT to pay for it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is it hypocritical for my hippy mate to fly to New York to attend the international day of climate action?
What the fuck? Don't you guys do lynch mobs in Victoria?

I have a new bike and the rear brake is spongy so i research.

Chopsticks suggestion to search Redtube is no help so I use google instead.

I find an article about burping the system. Follow the steps to burp and it works well with air bubbling out and the brake firm but now I find the oil level low.

I have no shimano oil but have oil for hair clippers, same thing right?

Smells the same feels the same, ok to use?
I have heard of people using baby oil when they are hard up. Its all pretty much the same, but I wouldn't have a wink with the brake oil. If you load up with the baby oil please provide a multi review as I can only find single use reviews.

stirk

Burner
If you load up with the baby oil please provide a multi review as I can only find single use reviews.
I used hair clipper oil not baby oil, don't want my brakes smelling like roses!

How the fuck can anyone rub that baby oil onto their babies let alone other parts of themselves is beyond me.

Engine oil is way better :)

And burping the brakes didn't work either, why can't they bleed brakes from the factory correctly!

stirk

Burner
I have researched this to a point but can't find a specific enough answer so will ask this here.

My Shimano MX80 pedals are squeaking like a mouse so I need to service them. I know the left hand pedal has a left hand thread to screw it into the crank but does that also apply to the thread to remove the axle bearing assembly from the pedal itself?

I don't want to start an oh god my pedal axle is stuck thread.....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thanks hifi

So to remove the bearing assembly from the pedal you simply unscrew the opposite to how you screw the pedal into the crank. There must be a good reason for this left right thread thing but it can be bloody confusing at times!!
I have long been under the impression that the pedals screw in how they do so that should the bearings cease up you cant unscrew them while hooking along the race track...

stirk

Burner
I have long been under the impression that the pedals screw in how they do so that should the bearings cease up you cant unscrew them while hooking along the race track...
Don't you mean if the bearing seizes up the pedaling rotation will undo the whole pedal from the crank rather than fuck your leg up when it seizes.

Unless of course your pedal is stuck.....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Don't you mean if the bearing seizes up the pedaling rotation will undo the whole pedal from the crank rather than fuck your leg up when it seizes.

Unless of course your pedal is stuck.....
I have no idea. I'm going out for "mexican". If you slip the pedal and your leg looks like nachos you are in trouble!