The stupid questions thread.

safreek

Just read a post from a thread that talks about slack seat post angles. What the hell does that mean ? And what the heck does it do to ride comfort or is it a bad thing ?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
One reason some don't like it is with the seat post at full extension it can shift your weight too far over the back wheel making climbing a bit of a chore.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just read a post from a thread that talks about slack seat post angles. What the hell does that mean ? And what the heck does it do to ride comfort or is it a bad thing ?
As with pretty much everything geometry related, it is a personal preference.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yes.

And then there is effective seat angle, which changes depending on how high the seat is situated.

It’s complicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LPG

likes thicc birds
Seat post angle is relevant but unlike some things you can adjust it by sliding the seat post forward and back in the rails to compensate some.

safreek

All to much for Mr safreek. I have done the seat forwardy thing a bit
By god some people must be pretty picky or.professional. thanks for explaining it.to me though

moorey

call me Mia
Hydraulic splitters! Pfft. I’m in Ballarat, have ONLY wood heating, and cut and split all my own wood with a chaino and a splitter.
You’re a pack of townies. Probably using Ozito or electric chainsaws. :rolleyes:

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hydraulic splitters! Pfft. I’m in Ballarat, have ONLY wood heating, and cut and split all my own wood with a chaino and a splitter.
You’re a pack of townies. Probably using Ozito or electric chainsaws. :rolleyes:
Chaino sounds like a townie name for a saw...?

D01

Likes Dirt
Hydraulic splitters! Pfft.
I cut a lot of wood each year and don't rate hydraulic splitters either. But I don't have much knotted timber.

I reckon they're harder work than swinging a log splitter. First you have to have all your timber arranged so you can roll the hydraulic splitter down the line so you're not tripping over while carry timber to the machine, but you still have to lift each piece waist height onto the machine, which kills my back pretty quick.

Splitting logs is not that hard, and very therapeutic for a non-violent person like myself. First dial your aim in so you're not wasting blows, and then work out if the log needs to be split radially or grid pattern. I usually don't have a single block to split on, but move around using new blocks to minimize carrying, sometimes splitting stuff where it sits.

I got into a bit of race one year with the father in law and mate who where using there new 30t splitter, and by the end of the day they hadn't cut that much more than me, certainly nowhere near twice as much, and they were just as tired as me.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The one I bought does vertical and horizontal splitting. Can manoevre large chunks with the front end loader and spin the remnants around with the turntable. Wood I couldn't hope to split by hand. And I have done plenty of chopping over the years! The splitter has a guarantee that if it wont split the wood you can hand it back. Each to their own.