The stupid questions thread.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
When cleaning your chain with degreaser then washing the degreaser off with water...

Do you dry it with a cloth then lube it or wait overnight till it completely dries out then lube it?
Or another method? Hair dryer? Microwave? Leave it out and pray to the sun god?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
When cleaning your chain with degreaser then washing the degreaser off with water...

Do you dry it with a cloth then lube it or wait overnight till it completely dries out then lube it?
I dont use degreaser but I would dry it with a blower asap. Chains will flash rust really quickly.

Flow-Rider

Burner

I use compressed air to blow dry the chain straight after the water and put some chain lube on later, otherwise the chain will start to rust like Dale said. It's not really recommended to degrease chains by a lot of manufacturers as it's hard to get the lube deep into the pins again.

Last edited:

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Wasn't sure where else to ask this and didn't want to make a new thread for it but.

I've got a big, big brush cutting job coming up, i've gotta clear roughly 2 acres of land that is covered in blackberries and some other weedy plant, thick grass, etc than there's like half an acre of long grass that needs to be cleared off.

I've got an el cheapo chink one but it won't be cut out for this.

I'm just wondering, apart from husqvarna and Stihl are there other brands I should be looking at?

Budget i've set for this one is 900 dollarydoos, but I could stretch to 1k but would rather keep it in the 900 region.

Skydome

Any recommendations on a good 35cc one other than the main big 2 brands ? Not really in the clue on brush cutters and don't want something that'll fall apart if it hits one rock or something as the land has a lot of rocks on it.

I guess the next thing to consider is what its harness is like. The one that came with my cheapo one was ok for short periods but certainly was useless for any longer than 20 minutes or so.

Also would be good if you could put on those larger cutting attachments such as the ones Still have on their website like cutting saws and etc.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Wasn't sure where else to ask this and didn't want to make a new thread for it but.

I've got a big, big brush cutting job coming up, i've gotta clear roughly 2 acres of land that is covered in blackberries and some other weedy plant, thick grass, etc than there's like half an acre of long grass that needs to be cleared off.

I've got an el cheapo chink one but it won't be cut out for this.

I'm just wondering, apart from husqvarna and Stihl are there other brands I should be looking at?

Budget i've set for this one is 900 dollarydoos, but I could stretch to 1k but would rather keep it in the 900 region.
I used to work with a crew of guys that thinned regrowth radiata pines with brush cutters fitted with saw blades. They were all using the biggest Honda 4 stroke model available due to less noise, vibration and no 2 Stoke fumes. Might be worth checking out no idea on price though.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Skydome

I used to work with a crew of guys that thinned regrowth radiata pines with brush cutters fitted with saw blades. They were all using the biggest Honda 4 stroke model available due to less noise, vibration and no 2 Stoke fumes. Might be worth checking out no idea on price though.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
assuming it's the model i looked at Honda say it's 700 bucks.

I guess i'll have to check out both husqvarna Stihl and Honda and just see what I like the most.

safreek

Fixed that for you.

The Still FS260 is grand retail, might be able to get a deal from somewhere. Big motor and good power output.

Otherwise, any straight shaft with a 35cc motor or above would do it, but I'd recommend pissing off the line and going with a steel blade.

Cheers,
Mr Huang
Have used stihl and Honda commercially before and both are magic if professional quality, Honda gave me less buzzing and vibrations on the hand. Ol grumpy is right though, for that sort of job get a blade, piss off the harness, free balling should be OK for a few hours at a time

Freediver

I can go full Karen
If you're cutting low and the ground is full of rocks you do not want a blade, use steel cable. If you start hitting rocks with a blade it will be useless in no time.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I use the heavy nylon with a cross head. Not recommended by the oem but does the job. Honestly though blackberry is hard yakka. A self propelled bush hogger or whatever they are called here will be the best option. Talk to the hire places. Maybe even a local bloke with a slasher.

Skydome

If you're cutting low and the ground is full of rocks you do not want a blade, use steel cable. If you start hitting rocks with a blade it will be useless in no time.
I didn't even know you could steel cable for them?

I always assumed it was either thick nylon or the brush cutter/saw attachment.

Goats have been thought about for many a time but for how much I need cleared i'd need like 10 goats or something lol.

Plus the land isn't an easy paddock, it goes into a valley that has a running creek and spring.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Use some 'Round up' in the hard to get areas but make you use PPE if you spray that stuff and not let kids play there for a while.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I didn't even know you could steel cable for them?

I always assumed it was either thick nylon or the brush cutter/saw attachment.

Goats have been thought about for many a time but for how much I need cleared i'd need like 10 goats or something lol.

Plus the land isn't an easy paddock, it goes into a valley that has a running creek and spring.
You just needs the right goats:

Jokes aside even normal goats are generally quite good at climbing/jumping.