The stupid questions thread.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Serious stupid question. I was going to treat myself to a new cordless drill and probably 3/8" square angle driver. I don't need either. Or I can spend that on a lego project...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
So here's an eeeby question, if eeebs have the chainring mounted to the motor and not the crank then could they run a fixed rear hub? Seems the motor clearly has something of a freewheel in it already.
If they had a fixed rear they'd save a bit of weight and also be able to change gear whenever they liked, pedalling or not.
I don't have an eeeb so this might be coming from the well of completely stupid thoughts, save me from myself.
Was thinking about this while riding today.

If the rear was fixed, the chain would be constantly spooling around your chainring and through your derailleur which may add to chain dropping when descending and definitely increased motor bearing wear... though not the derailleur on an internally geared bike.

When freewheeling, the rear freehub ratchets, the motor ratchet only comes into play when you backpedal, meaning the resistance of the motor freewheel is a lot greater than the hub freehub.

I also reckon with the free power that the ebike motor gives you, the engagement is not as important on a motorised bike as that short sharp blast of power needed for some features gets a boost from the motor.

Fast POE is something I usually like too but I haven't even thought about it on the ebike.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
We painted our house about a year ago. Dude across the street is going to repaint his place and wants to know what colour we used, likes it and wants to use the same. Told him pick your own colours mate? Am I being a bad neighbour?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
We painted our house about a year ago. Dude across the street is going to repaint his place and wants to know what colour we used, likes it and wants to use the same. Told him pick your own colours mate? Am I being a bad neighbour?

pixelpuppet

Likes Dirt
Just give him a paint code for a nice Yeti blue.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I’ve been using std kitchen paper towels in the garage for general wiping and stuff. But they suck. They rip, and little papery shit gets everywhere. As a kid my dad had a roll of blue paper that was soft but had little threads through it…

Now those of you in the trades might be saying “oh yeah that’s XYZ paper” everyone knows that! But for the life of me - it’s taken many weeks of sporadic searching to find the stuff. No one I spoke to could tell me where to buy it, and retail shops all pointed me to chux wipes (also have those in the garage and they’re shit too).

After much hambo-ing, I finally found the key word I’d been missing. “Wiper”!

Before I throw another hundred bucks or so at Bezos - why are the blue ones $30 more per box? Just why? Is my nostalgia worth $30? Tell me brains trust.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I’ve been using std kitchen paper towels in the garage for general wiping and stuff. But they suck. They rip, and little papery shit gets everywhere. As a kid my dad had a roll of blue paper that was soft but had little threads through it…

Now those of you in the trades might be saying “oh yeah that’s XYZ paper” everyone knows that! But for the life of me - it’s taken many weeks of sporadic searching to find the stuff. No one I spoke to could tell me where to buy it, and retail shops all pointed me to chux wipes (also have those in the garage and they’re shit too).

Before I throw another hundred bucks or so at Bezos - why are the blue ones $30 more per box? Just why? Is my nostalgia worth $30? Tell me brains trust.

Rag on a Roll?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

In the detail the white says 3 rolls but the description is 4 rolls. That would account for the $.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
In the detail the white says 3 rolls but the description is 4 rolls. That would account for the $.
Sharp eyes, but I don’t think that’s it. There is a longer roll that comes in a 3 pack per box. So I’d guess the description is copied from that rather than all the other details being wrong, including the side of the box in the photos saying 4 rolls.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
In that case the specs read the same unless there is a secret ingredient to help the mopping up, like redback spider farts. I have the proprietary dispenser screwed onto the shed wall but ran out of blue roll several years ago.