The stupid questions thread.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep. The nice lady that sold me a Hiking Bladder Pack said that the Oztrail ones are pretty much exactly the same, and like half the price. Certainly when I was ever near people with the Camelbak ones I couldn't tell the difference.
Lies. One, camelbak bladders use better quality materials and sealing processes, Two, are covered by blowouts under lifetime warranty and Three, don't hold taste in the rubber (tried running coke through one for a week at a store I worked at, after a couple rinses, good as). Camelbak aren't the only good ones out there, but those el cheapo bladders by oztrail/spinifex or whatever other home branded camp stores are terrible.

I can sit on my camelbak bladder when full (in fact, we jumped on one once) and it won't break. Dare you to try that with the others ;)

p.s in my previous post, I actually meant to store them in the freezer. freezing any leftover water and keeping germs dormant

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah ok, I was going off what the lady in the store told me.

As for jumping on it, well I did play a game of rugby with mine full of beer. The thing had swollen right up from the foam, and I was tackled numerous times and ended up at the bottom of the ruck. I actually hurt my neck because I landed flat on my back and my neck bent around the backpack (if you know what I'm trying to say).

I had it for a good 3 or 4 years with no issues. Including a school camp where a friend was leaning against his 'Camelbak' branded backpack/bladder when it burst and soaked him and his clothes.

I guess there's some good ones and there are bad ones in each camp :)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Lies. One, camelbak bladders use better quality materials and sealing processes, Two, are covered by blowouts under lifetime warranty and Three, don't hold taste in the rubber (tried running coke through one for a week at a store I worked at, after a couple rinses, good as). Camelbak aren't the only good ones out there, but those el cheapo bladders by oztrail/spinifex or whatever other home branded camp stores are terrible.

I can sit on my camelbak bladder when full (in fact, we jumped on one once) and it won't break. Dare you to try that with the others ;)

p.s in my previous post, I actually meant to store them in the freezer. freezing any leftover water and keeping germs dormant
My genuine camelbaks are the only ones I used that haven't leaked at some point for no real reason and have no added plastic taste. I know the bits are expensive but I reckon well worth it.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
My camelbak bladder lasted a good 5 or 6 years, until this year when it developed a large split near where the hose joins the bladder. I was out riding and then suddenly had 3 litres of water leak all down my back.

Yeh I just threw mine out last night, will be easier to just buy a new one.
I had cleaned mine with a tablet (one simular to what camel bak use) but that did nothing,I then boiled it twice but still nothing.
Last night I tried to do it again but I couldn"t even close the cap, it was well stuck so I just cut the hose off and binned the bladder.

As for how strong they are, I have had one or two accidnts where I have gone over the bars and landed on the back pack and nothing had happened.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Why are they calling Danny Hart the "2011 reigning world champion" when he only won one race? I thought the UCI WC DH was based on a points system which would have placed Gwin as the overall world champion.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Danny Hart won 2011 world champs, making him the world champion.
Gwin won the 2011 season by points, making him the world cup winner.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Why are they calling Danny Hart the "2011 reigning world champion" when he only won one race? I thought the UCI WC DH was based on a points system which would have placed Gwin as the overall world champion.
I understand the difference between the world championships and the world cup, but it seems like a retarded system to me (I may be retarded).

The guy who consistently wins or places with enough points should be the world champion, a single track should not decide it, which can be biased towards certain riding styles.... or a single mechanical fault.

static_X3

Likes Dirt
I understand the difference between the world championships and the world cup, but it seems like a retarded system to me (I may be retarded).

The guy who consistently wins or places with enough points should be the world champion, a single track should not decide it, which can be biased towards certain riding styles.... or a single mechanical fault.
I really dont see the point of a world cup when you have a world championship. Its just another race.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone got any tips for keeping rabbits and dogs together? Or even just the rabbits themselves...
Rabbits themselves..... you could build them a hutch or a pen. Let your imagination run wild and create something that will keep them entertained (or lost) for ages. BTW, I learnt today that a group of Ferrets is refered to as a Business.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I really dont see the point of a world cup when you have a world championship. Its just another race.
Um and so is the Olympics... It's a bit like saying the guy who wins the final shouldn't necessarily be Olympic champ but the guy who wins the most heats and semis...

track and field, swimming.. a bunch of sports have a world series but the world champ is the person who wins on the day of the world championships. Come to think of it the footy, soccer, basket ball, net ball champ may not be the team that scores he most points through the year, thy are he team that scores the most points on the day of the final

Last edited:

rustysteel

Likes Bikes
Excalibur said it the best...... the overall world cup winner is the rider with the most points at the end of the DH season (just like formula 1, Motogp etc). The world champs event (at Leogang this year) is a seperate event and is comparable to a world champs of any sport (athletics, swimming etc) where the winner (or world champion) is decided in the final of 1 event - just like a runner might win the world champs but may not be olympic champion. SO, Gwiny is the overall world cup champion (the highest honour) and Minaar is now the world champ (or winner of the world champs event)......confusing yes

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Another important point regarding the World Cups/Championships is that in the World Championships you are representing your nation, not your usual team. A riders whole support crew can change dramatically for the World Championships depending on where they're from and who they normally race for.