The stupid questions thread.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Try COUNTIF. In the "Range" select all the data and in "Criteria" type in 1995.
Good luck.
OK, COUNTIF works, but its cumbersome, as I'll have to alter the formula for each row in the table representing each year. Any other way to make it spit out a list of COUNTIF results for every year, covering about 100 years?

I just had a thought… I could kind of automate the changing COUNTIF formula by making a list of years, say 1900…2014, then having the COUNTIF function reference the year cell directly in the function as the 'criteria', then propagating it down…

Or you could try the Data Subtotal function.

Outline your range, click on Subtotal and can choose functions such as Count - then compress the total data with the range lines on the left.

Does that make sense?
Using the Count function within SUBTOTAL gives me a count of the total number of records entered, but not of the number of records related to to each year… there's no way I have my head fully around that formula though!

scblack

Leucocholic
Using the Count function within SUBTOTAL gives me a count of the total number of records entered, but not of the number of records related to to each year… there's no way I have my head fully around that formula though!
But when the window comes up, your first option is to choose "At each change in" - so you set this at the Year column for your data.

Elbo

But when the window comes up, your first option is to choose "At each change in" - so you set this at the Year column for your data.
That option didn't come up for me :smow: The formula builder just asked for function_num and ref1, ref2, etc…

I worked it out with this bad boy, referencing my data sheet and my Year Frequency table sheet and got the result I was after. Seems a bit circular, but it works: =COUNTIF(Data!$E$4:$E$16,'Year Frequency'!B2)

Thanks scblack and Old Softy for your help!

Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 4.41.25 pm.jpg

scblack

Leucocholic
I just had a thought, maybe you have to Sort the data for your year first, then Subtotal the data.

And I'm using Excel 2010 and 2013. Have you got an older version?

It works for me.:wave:

Elbo

I just had a thought, maybe you have to Sort the data for your year first, then Subtotal the data.

And I'm using Excel 2010 and 2013. Have you got an older version?

It works for me.:wave:
Could be the case sc! Because the articles are entered in the order I read them in, the years are all over the shop. If I organised them in a quick table/sorted them by year I can see how your Subtotal idea would work. Still didn't come up in the formula builder for me though. I'm using Office 2011 for Mac.

moorey

call me Mia
Am I paranoid...or was this guy marshalling at the Kids Tryathlon yesterday a little suss....and WAY to interested in the kids.....:behindsofa:
(FWIW, he seemed to be doing a bang up job, but I wasn't the only one in the crowd thinking this...)
Chester.jpg

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Am I paranoid...or was this guy marshalling at the Kids Tryathlon yesterday a little suss....and WAY to interested in the kids.....:behindsofa:
(FWIW, he seemed to be doing a bang up job, but I wasn't the only one in the crowd thinking this...)
View attachment 286363
I think that may be my old scout leader...... need a pic without pants yo be sure. :behindsofa:

wembas

Likes Dirt
Ive got a 6 year old daughter who loves to hold my hand when we walk around at the shops etc... i love it - special times.... id be totally disgusted at what others might think though...

easy on the Pedo jokes lads.... i know its topical - but posting the guys photo is a bit off i reckon

moorey

call me Mia
So do I, mate (6yo hand holding girl), and have talked about this before. However, it's all in fun, and not above a bit of a joke. This blokes demeanor and mannerisms were well beyond what APPEARS kosher....but I did point out he seemed to be doing a bang up job. That said, if he looked at your daughter the way he looked at some kids, and IMHO was overly physical helping kids get changed after the swim and put shoes on....you might have also felt a little awkward.
If you are looking for forum talk to be morally outraged over, there's plenty on here more worrying.

wembas

Likes Dirt
You are right - i wasnt there... and i know what the look of a dirty old man at my daughter feels like ( we shop at the footscray markets - full of creeps )

just think its poor form to put up his photo - hes got no right of reply...

The double standard is that we cant even mention the name of a bike shop that gave us bad service on here - but we can post a photo of someone and infer they are a Pedo...

No morale outrage here mate... i dont know how to do that...

moorey

call me Mia
I took about 10 pics of him in more seedy positions and showing his face clearly (more as a 'just in case'). I did struggle with the notion of posting his pic, but given that you really can't see anything, and I really didn't say he was doing anything wrong, I decided to go with the one I did.

I don't know who to think is the weird one?
I man watching children or moorey watching/photographing a man....

Jokes aside.
I was driving through Dural this morn and came across a letter box number of 669.
This lead me to think would there be a house number with 666?
Would local gov, even allow this number?
Has anyone seen this number in a street?

moorey

call me Mia
I don't know who to think is the weird one?
I man watching children or moorey watching/photographing a man....

Jokes aside.
I was driving through Dural this morn and came across a letter box number of 669.
I'm 668, the neighbour of the beast. I do know that most US schools don't use the number on sports bibs, and that one girl was assigned it, lost, and tried to sue, claiming that the Devil made her lose....

scblack

Leucocholic
The number 666 is a very recent figment of people's imaginations. It has only the last hundred years or so had any connotation attached whatsoever so there's no basis in history for the number.

Do they allow the number 69 ? - that's a more provocative number.