The stupid questions thread.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How accurate does everyone generally find strava? I've recently started using it to keep track of distance/times, and it reckons I'm 20 seconds faster through a <2 min downhill segment on an xc hard tail than an enduro dually - which is totally wrong.

ClintC

Likes Dirt
How accurate does everyone generally find strava? I've recently started using it to keep track of distance/times, and it reckons I'm 20 seconds faster through a <2 min downhill segment on an xc hard tail than an enduro dually - which is totally wrong.

Strava itself is as accurate as the device collecting the data. Garmin or likewise GPS units are very accurate. Phones? Not so much, as they do not poll data nearly as much as a true GPS unit.

scblack

Leucocholic

For a 2min ride I would not bother with Strava. But for my ride which takes 45min or so to work, its fine.

I'm using an iphone, so sometimes not perfectly accurate, but fine for what I need.

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
Do damp trails sap more energy from you while riding? Whilst I'm not in my best riding condition at the moment my last few outings have left me feeling shattered more so than I would have expected for the distance and perceived fitness. Plus the riding times have been much slower.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
For sure they do! It is like riding on mardhlallow compared to concrete. Rolling speed drops and the ground grabs your tyres. This in conjunction with strava is the main reason people are all up in arms about not riding in the wet. Do you ever remember anyone bitching about wet trails before strava? Nope. They are just time average protectors.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
For sure they do! It is like riding on mardhlallow compared to concrete. Rolling speed drops and the ground grabs your tyres. This in conjunction with strava is the main reason people are all up in arms about not riding in the wet. Do you ever remember anyone bitching about wet trails before strava? Nope. They are just time average protectors.
Mardhlallow is a right chunt to ride on!

moorey

call me Mia
Mentally, it also drains me. Riding well built trails in the wet isn't an issue, necessarily. Our Ballarat trails are ridden week in, week out, and are none the worse.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
How can I put on a stupidly tight tyre onto the rim. Have spent the last hour and still can't get the last 6 inches on.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
How can I put on a stupidly tight tyre onto the rim. Have spent the last hour and still can't get the last 6 inches on.
I have had a similar problem a few times...just cant squeeze the last few inches into the rim.

If the tyre has a wire bead try stretching it. Both feet inside at 6. Both hands at 12...stretch it as hard as you can. Rotate the tyre a few times and repeat. Should buy you enough stretch to get it on. If it is Kevlar this wont really work.

Now back to the important question...is there a currency converter on bike24? Or am I condemned to working out the euros?

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Possibly a bit late now, but...stretch the bead, soak the tyre in hot water or leave in sun. Prepare hot soapy water (or anything else that works well as a lubricant), and give it hell once everything is soft and lubed. I had to do the above, with metal tyre levers, to get Minions onto a set of old Sun MTXs.