The stupid questions thread.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I think I know, but I really don't want to ask. .. ...
Take them off with a knife and fit some good grips instead :)
Yeah, it'll happen, but it's three days old, I'm not read...... Sorry, my wallet's not ready for that just yet.... . :confused:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Also, what's the best way to get foam grips off then back on again?
Hairspray. It works as an effective enough lubricant when it's wet, then sets to act as a mild glue. To get them off, gently work a long flat screwdriver under the grip, squirt a bit of hairspray into the gap & slide the screwdriver around the bar to unstick, then just slide the grip off. To refit, lightly spray the inside of the grips, slide on & leave a few hours to set. Don't go to heavy with the spray for refitting; the more you use the longer it'll take to set, and the grips will slip on the bar. For the same reason, don't put the grips on & expect to ride straight away, because it does need a bit of time to stick.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Hairspray. It works as an effective enough lubricant when it's wet, then sets to act as a mild glue. To get them off, gently work a long flat screwdriver under the grip, squirt a bit of hairspray into the gap & slide the screwdriver around the bar to unstick, then just slide the grip off. To refit, lightly spray the inside of the grips, slide on & leave a few hours to set. Don't go to heavy with the spray for refitting; the more you use the longer it'll take to set, and the grips will slip on the bar. For the same reason, don't put the grips on & expect to ride straight away, because it does need a bit of time to stick.
Hairspray is great for grips. Never need anything else.

Use a small squirt, just enough to slide them onto the handlebars. Non volatile and warm water will remove it. I just soak the grips in a hot water cup and they swell and slide on or off. Easy, mostly.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I put Si grips on the Muru in an attempt to stop the UV / salt / sunscreen killing grips in under 2 weeks at the beach. Since they were going on carbon bars I didn't use the screw driver and anyway I no longer use hair spray though not for @moorey type reasons. I tried heating the things, water, soapy water etc. Could get about halfway and the residents in the next suburb were complaining about the swearing. Only thing that worked was a burst of air from the compressor after getting the grips started. My 4wd compressor and an air gun worked perfectly. If these grips don't work out I will be cutting them off and trying a different brand of lockon. These grips brought back many many bad memories of the old days before I used lockons.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ you mean those days way back when Moses was a kid and installing grips left you with hands even a teenager wouldn't love? Not that it ever happened to me....

Flow-Rider

Burner
Ok, so what do you use a hose pick for?
Run the pointy end under the grip around the bar and spray some soapy water in there at the same time. Then you turn the grip and it slides off most of the time, you do get some stubborn ones from time to time. It's not one of those tiny hose picks, the shaft is actually quite long.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No doubt I've missed this somewhere in the few years I've been away, but what happened to post counts, or Member Since dates? Without these, how will I know who to ignore? :(