The stupid questions thread.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With stems do you normally tighten the top of the plate until there's no gap or have equal gap top and bottom?

I have a merida stem and normally have equal gap top and bottom but have seen on one ups stems they have no gap at the top. I have just got some one up carbon bars and they say not to use carbon paste with them as well which I thought was different.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
With stems do you normally tighten the top of the plate until there's no gap or have equal gap top and bottom?

I have a merida stem and normally have equal gap top and bottom but have seen on one ups stems they have no gap at the top. I have just got some one up carbon bars and they say not to use carbon paste with them as well which I thought was different.
I've always gone with equal gap, unless the stem specifies "no gap". I have a ragley stem that has "no gap" printed on the sides of each clamp plate.
OIP (3).jpeg

treble

Likes Dirt
Trying to suss out a cassette upgrade for a friend's '17 YT Capra. It has DT swiss E1900 hubs.
in order to fit his preferred cassette i'm looking to swap from an XD driver to HG. A quick look online suggests replacement freehubs are available. But are they interchangeable like Hope hubs? I'm not at all familiar with DT swiss hubs.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Trying to suss out a cassette upgrade for a friend's '17 YT Capra. It has DT swiss E1900 hubs.
in order to fit his preferred cassette i'm looking to swap from an XD driver to HG. A quick look online suggests replacement freehubs are available. But are they interchangeable like Hope hubs? I'm not at all familiar with DT swiss hubs.
DT E1900's have the DT370 3 pawl hub.

Someone asked a similar question a few days back.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What the fuck is up with Jerry? Why is jerry so reluctant to undertake processes that will help them improve their skill set or experiences of life?

Ive got a couple of medal contenders this week!

1 fellow who wanted to run new binding discs with 10 year old bindings, mismatched brands of course (generally this is like running avid brake pads in shimano brake calipers). I looked for about 3 seconds and knew this wasn't going to work, his reply? They look the same. We go through the fiasco because he won't believe me and sure enough the discs are too thick to secure the bindings to the board so there is a lot of movement. He has since rummaged through the collection of old rental gear under our lodge and found something that will kind of work (until it fails) rather than seize the moment and buy some new bindings, which are clearly needed.

Another fellow has skied before, once on a school trip 7 or so years ago...did you want to arrange some lessons and blow the dust off? I won't need them. It'll all come back to me pretty quickly. It did not. Still no lessons.

Ahhhhh people.

ausdb

Being who he is
DT E1900's have the DT370 3 pawl hub.

Someone asked a similar question a few days back.

That was me, I did a whole lot of Jabubuing and worked out that yes you can convert to a different freehub but the freehub bodies for 3 pawl hubs are not the same as DT Swiss ratchet hubs. There wasn't a cheap 3 pawl feehub locally and I found I had a wheel with a Hope HG freehub that I had forgotten about so that solved my issue. I didn't go down the Aliexpress rabbit hole very far.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Would you trust these....?

EDIT: I don't plan on buying them. I like my ugly face just the way it is.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Would you trust these....?

EDIT: I don't plan on buying them. I like my ugly face just the way it is.
Looks worse than it is IMO. I have/had a few sets of Renthal carbons and they use a slightly rubbery feeling clear coating where the stem mounts. I had one set that the costing was quite thick and deformed like in those pics, and a couple of other bars (one I still have) where the paint has flaked up too. Never had a problem with them other than the aesthetics, but can understand the hesitance if buying second hand.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Maybe they originally just had the wanker size and had to begrudgingly get pints in. But in general they like the undersized trendy glassware because it helps hide how expensive the beer is.