THE TERM DH HARDTAIL

Silver Wahoo

Likes Dirt
I'm sure this will spark some debate but the Phrase DH hardtail just seems to me like an oxymoron!!

I Have a big bike and a P3 and I could'nt think of anything worse than riding the short stayed rigid P3 on some of our DH courses.

At the end of the day it's just a hardtail. PERIOD!!

Comments :D

S.

ex offender
Hardtail, duallie, whatever... sure a 8" DH bike is gonna be better than a hardtail, but it costs 4x as much, breaks 5x as often, and is 10x harder to pedal around if you don't have another bike :)

timmyDH

duallies are the only things u could class as downhill bikes. and even some duallies can't be classed as DH bikes. people mite ride hardtails in DH but they're definately not DH bikes.

Ty

Eats Squid
the real question to all the Hardtail DHers is, if someone gave you $8000 to build a DH bike would you still choose to be on a hardtail? i know i wouldn't be. i rode DH on a hardtail for a bit over a year only because i couldn't afford a big bike. i still can't afford a big bike but i'm half way there.

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
i think the term "downhill hardtail" is fine. its a hardtail, designed for downhill, easy as that.

Silver Wahoo

Likes Dirt
peachy said:
i think the term "downhill hardtail" is fine. its a hardtail, designed for downhill, easy as that.
Are they really ment for Dh?? Most of these so called DH hardtails are designed for the DJ scene. Most of these Bikes including mine are equiped with short chain stays and short seat stays, IMO not the best ingredients for DH.

Just my take :D :D :D

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
Silver Wahoo said:
peachy said:
Are they really ment for Dh?? Most of these so called DH hardtails are designed for the DJ scene. Most of these Bikes including mine are equiped with short chain stays and short seat stays, IMO not the best ingredients for DH.

yeah ure blood right,i stand corrected. there are hardtails out there designed for downhill though isn't there (such as cliffcat, tank?)

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
there arent really a whole lot of hardtails built for dh neway, i can only think of *imperiel*(sp) and nicolai's (sp) hardtail

zen_rider

Likes Dirt
Socket said:
Hardtail, duallie, whatever... sure a 8" DH bike is gonna be better than a hardtail, but it costs 4x as much, breaks 5x as often, and is 10x harder to pedal around if you don't have another bike :)
DH is still interesting on a hardtail...sure you might not go as fast, but its all good, hardtails all the way!

DOM

Eats Squid
fastrider gus said:
here here!!!
Dh is actually more fun on a HT.. i think... and its a bit of a cult i think too.
ummmm .. i thought the same thing.
I rode a Hardtail for 5 years .. jumping DH urban everything .. I upgraded to a Stinky .. not exactly a DH Bike .. but 6" of rear travel.
and Trust me .. DH is more fun on a Full Squishy .. allows you to go faster .. make more mistakes .. attempt stuff you wouldnt of with your hardtail.

Im all for honing your skills first on a hardtail ... teaches you alot about being smooth .. choosing lines etc.

But as for more fun .... just as fun .. but not more fun :)

Adi

It's my birthday!
Silver Wahoo said:
peachy said:

Yea but that should not stop you having the same fun or even more fun riding a DH track on a HT. You can take almost any bike down a DH track and have a blast.

Obviously looking at this from a racing + compettitive perspective then Duallies will have an advantage in some areas.

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey look i ride a hardtail dh and i like it because i like to challange my self dont get me wrong i want a big dullie but not for dh i want it more for big gaps and drops i find my bike fine for dh

S.

ex offender
Competitively speaking, you get more traction, more forgiveness, more control, and less loss of speed over bumps with a duallie. But if you're only riding for fun (ie not racing), then if a hardtail is just as fun, it's as good as a duallie.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
I think a hardtail is much more versitile.

Chuch on some knobbys and a chain guide and your set for dh action.

Go the skate tyres, even chuck on a gyro and single speed it to hit up the skate park.

Go the slicks and you can ride to work.

Anything with over 6 in the rear is a dh SPECIFIC bike. Doenst mean you cant run your hardtail in DOWNHILL MODE> :)