The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

rone

Eats Squid
I've just become reacquainted with my old Alpinestars Cromega. I had her quite original originally but sold her to my brother in law 5 years ago as he needed a commuter and I was skint. Finally brought back to me as it had 'stopped working' There isn't much servicable left so have stripped all the cruddy old cables and wheels off. I have some old 8 speed XT lying around including some unused hubs, an almost new cassette and RD.

She's got a bit of a noticable ding in the downtube but it's only cosmetic so i'll do her up as authentic as I can within budget. Probably run 'v's though.

Enjoy:)

Attachments

st.nick

Squid
My bike until 2011... when I replace it with a Reign X0

then this happened...

:( Ain't no cool like the ol' skool!!

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My bike until 2011... when I replace it with a Reign X0

:( Ain't no cool like the ol' skool!!
I'm sure Grip could do something for you there. I'm also sure I have one of those amoeba flame stems sitting in a parts box here too:D

Also just fitted some '97 Z2 Atom Bombers to my GT Pantera of the same vintage, 70mm of buttery smooth goodness. I forgot how good old Marzocchi's are, they're also able to cope with my corpulence better than the Indy XC's that were on there. Now to just wait for some drier weather and some time to ride.

mtb1611

Seymour
Back from the days that there was such thing as a "Cross Country/Downhill bike".
And when those of us old enough to remember trekked to the Nats at Thredbo and raced xc, hill-climb, dual slalom and downhill all on the one (rigid!) bike!

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That thing would be mine if he'd ship it. Far from practical but it's another GT I don't own right now, and would never ride because it would snap like all the others. But I must admit that if it had Spin wheels I would have driven up to Brisbane to get it.

Magura

Likes Dirt
"Near impossible to break" Does this guy know nothing about these frames? gold!

I have one in my shed, dressed up with spare 'old' parts, but not vintage. Luckily its not broken (somehow) but I doubt I'll ever ride it hard, or ride it at all, its more of a museum piece.
Though I know you're perfectly right regarding the fragility of that frame, and I sure have seen a few go south, I would be hard pressed to reject the idea of having one as a commuter, you know, just for the fashion statement, and the technofile side of it :cool:

Magura :)

Brett

Likes Dirt
LMFAO... a front derailler ? WTF for ? Not like your gonna be able to change to granny ![/QUOTE]

DIRT did a write up on this YETI back in 2006. It's Myles Rockwell's 1993 DH bike which has been restored to almost original specs. He won the Reebok eliminator DH race on this frame. The new owner was given the frame by John Palmer (former owner of Yeti). He has since sourced original parts. The only two parts which are wrong or missing is the stem which would have originally been made by Yeti and the chain device. He's waiting to find the one which would have been used by Myles.

This doesn't explain the middle and granny rings which were fitted to Myles race bike... who knows? maybe the Kamikaze run had a big hill in the middle?

Just so you know it's a 64 tooth Paragon Machine works chainring...

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LMFAO... a front derailler ? WTF for ? Not like your gonna be able to change to granny !
Front derailleur acts as a chain guide to stop the chain coming off, and two and sometimes 3 rings was the norm even at world cup levels as were bottle cages in the early - mid 90s.

In many Grundig DH photos you'll see most DH bikes doing runs with drink bottles on board too.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also i believe back in the early 90's (could be wrong this is a hazy memory) that (on the kamakazie anyway) you had to have a "mountain bike" with front and rear deralliers and cogs, to stop people running bmx's and other stuff.

DW-1

Dirt Works
Also i believe back in the early 90's (could be wrong this is a hazy memory) that (on the kamakazie anyway) you had to have a "mountain bike" with front and rear deralliers and cogs, to stop people running bmx's and other stuff.
now that you mention it... I have a similar memory.

Elvis.

Magura

Likes Dirt
Back then there were quite a few rules, that may seem strange today.

One I recall is the maximum bottom bracket height.
Now why in heavens name would anybody make such a rule? :rolleyes:

Magura :)

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sometimes i wish they had more rules (or different) today... like, now i love technology and pushing the boundaries of what can be done, but simetimes i think a 4in limit on suspension and max 160mm rotors for DH, or you have to run the DH and the XC on 1 bike to qualify for any sort of win... sometimes anyway...

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wouldn't mind seeing a return of some good old fire road based high speed DH with dinner plate sized chain rings and skin suits.

A Eliminator style event would be good to watch too. :cool: