The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

floody

Wheel size expert
Dual Response is an interesting old thing. Build with a Manitou 3/4/EFC and XT or XTR would be cool. I think it *should* have an ALPS shock and definitely in a shorter eye-to-eye length which is why the angles look weird. It would be a 1995.

Last edited:

jbg

Likes Dirt
Dual Response is an interesting old thing. Build with a Manitou 3/4/EFC and XT or XTR would be cool. I think it *should* have an ALPS shock and definitely in a shorter eye-to-eye length which is why the angles look weird. It would be a 1994.
Missing the lay-back seatpost too, hard to find :(

Laurie01

Likes Bikes
I just bought the tomac.. Now I just need some manitou xvert ti forks to start the restoration to original 1999 spec..got a pair of 99 dee max wheels lined up hopefully too

Laurie01

Likes Bikes
If you fancy selling those xverts let me know, I'll take them.

Since I'm here I thought i may aswell post a couple of the older bikes in my collection first is a 1999 (at least i believe it to be) orange gringo. Bike remains mostly stock, even down to the WTB tyres, other than the Thompson seat post i put on there because the stock post was a bit creaky. I use it almost every day to commute about the place and laid back xc rides along the river near my house.

I got it for a steal from another forum member who brought it with him from the UK when he emigrated in around 2003 as far as i remember and remained pretty much unused from then. It is still a fantastic bike for bombing around on and i think looks quite good even in this day and age.

Next is one of my DH bikes, which may not yet be classed as properly vintage but as a 2003 its over 10 years old so i guess its worth a post. its my 2003 Intense M1, my dad saw Kovarik riding one of these at the nationals in 2002 - 2003 sometime and immediately bought one. After he finished building it as it still stands today it got ridden for about 3 runs down at Eatons cutting in dormana then spent the next 10 years in our shed until i took it out and cleaned it up. Since this photo was taken I have replaced the manitou swinger with the original 5th element with the Ti spring just so it's back to original.

Last edited:

heavyp

You heard it here first
What model do you have? I'd be looking for pretty much any of the xvert ti models from before the dorado was released
Yeah Xvert ti or carbon will do that older frame justice, the 204 dropped the lawwill design after the one you bought to a single swingarm which I dont think looks as good and they used dorados on that one

tomac204.jpg

Laurie01

Likes Bikes
Yeah I think I will settle for any of the xvert series, they look quite similar from one year to the next as far as I can remember. Just didn't want to go the dorado, I have a set of the 03 dorado on the M1 but they will stay there haha. I've got a set of 99 dee max that I brought over from the uk with me ready to go on too. Will now start the search for some old race face stuff. I'm not a fan of the brakes by magura so I will probably use an old set of hope pro 2 brakes that I can grab off a mate.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Yeah I think I will settle for any of the xvert series, they look quite similar from one year to the next as far as I can remember. Just didn't want to go the dorado, I have a set of the 03 dorado on the M1 but they will stay there haha. I've got a set of 99 dee max that I brought over from the uk with me ready to go on too. Will now start the search for some old race face stuff. I'm not a fan of the brakes by magura so I will probably use an old set of hope pro 2 brakes that I can grab off a mate.
Where in the UK you from ? Have you seen my Rob Warner Replica, I have a Trek Pro Issue DH over in the UK i was planning on making into a Scott Sharples replica but im going to sell it with a pair of boxxer 151's to exxy to send over and parts are even harden to source being from 98. Can't go wrong with hope there my favourite.

Laurie01

Likes Bikes
I'm from Hull in east Yorkshire, been here since 2000 though. I had a good read of your atx build thread.. Enjoyed it because I had that exact bike in 2000,it was one of my favourite bikes ever. I had pace rc150 forks on mine which I wish I could own a pair of those now haha I've still got one of rob Warner's unt t shirts that he signed for me at bike 99 too.