The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

floody

Wheel size expert
They'd be 110/74 ATB pattern. 'Easy as' to get rings, less so if you specifically want vintage ones. Middleburn from CRC are a good option.

Shop I worked at sold a NOS set of those a few years back to a guy who put them on his commuter...and snapped one. FUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey thanks all, not quite the build I was going for, but the one that happened, had all the bits lying around, but the manitou mars elites I had turned out to have a cracked steerer and as much as I like old stuff, sometimes its not worth the hassle, so some new forks...work good too, all the forks I have run in the last 10 years have been 4in, 3in feels much better.

@Mammy yeah they are onza ti's, always wanted some, manage to pick up 2 sets, using the better conditions ones. Now just have to figure out if i can get the rubber handlebar parts off my old steel ones and onto the ti without destroying them...

@evObda2 I tell you when you are looking there are none about, when you are not, they are everywhere. I was lucky, I know a guy who has a pile of bikes (kinda likes making, owning team bikes, you know, specilaised ti/carbon epic, ti tomac mongoose, ti/cabon tomac raliegh(s)) who picked up this one off ebay (they guy wouldn't ship to me from US so I didn't bid), but it was too big for him, so he sold me the frame, then turned around and bought another one!

Anyway it an ongoing process, lots of stuff watched on ebay and in my basket on crc... part of me want to build it old skool, the other want to build it as I would have if I owned it from new and kept replacing/upgrading parts...

2jzzzz

Squid
Can anyone identify my bike? Diamondback, but no idea what model or era. Has been sitting for a while.Was my thrasher while at highschool

IMAG0205_2.jpgIMAG0207.jpg

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
doesn't look like any of the old v-link, or x-links, all the good stuff was DBR badged rather than diamondback, that was the lower end stuff for FS bikes.

2jzzzz

Squid
I did get the frame just after it was painted and I put those stickers on it myself. Could have been badged as DBR for all I knew.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah but it doesn't look like any diamonback, although my knowledge of DB's isn't so good after the mid 90's... so it could be a DB, but also may not be at all.

jbg

Likes Dirt
Can anyone identify my bike? Diamondback, but no idea what model or era. Has been sitting for a while.Was my thrasher while at highschool

View attachment 263279View attachment 263280
DBR Dual Response sport 1994 (also available in pro model, blue with xtr)
Got the wrong decals on it (right brand though) cool bikes, they kept the front triangle of the 93 but beefed up the rear for 94
Verlicchi design which was used by kona, ironhorse & sinttesi
DBR had a big team during the mid 90's and these were a common sight at the national dh series, usually sporting a set of Marzocchi dh3, judy dh's or Manitou EFC's
If You ever decide to sell it I'd gladly give it a loving home ;)

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
I'm restoring an old GT Talera.. But need to find some 26" v-brake rims for it.. What is available these days? Not finding much at the moment.. Don't want to spend silly $$ on it..

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Yeah something like that.. Though I noticed it says 8/9 spd compatible? I need 7 spd..
M10 axle is standard for the older bikes like the GT?
Cheers
Joel

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DBR Dual Response sport 1994 (also available in pro model, blue with xtr)
Got the wrong decals on it (right brand though) cool bikes, they kept the front triangle of the 93 but beefed up the rear for 94
Verlicchi design which was used by kona, ironhorse & sinttesi
DBR had a big team during the mid 90's and these were a common sight at the national dh series, usually sporting a set of Marzocchi dh3, judy dh's or Manitou EFC's
If You ever decide to sell it I'd gladly give it a loving home ;)
Bah, I thought I remembered that DB had a rear end like that, but couldn't find anything on the net, thought that the older stuff was still the original rear, so was looking 95 onwards...there you go.