The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
Thanks Dene, one question though. .. How does it bolt down onto the top crown of the forks? It is currently a four bolt arrangement. (2012 888 evo v2's)

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
2012? You're an imposter and shouldn't be lurking in this thread. I don't think it will be compatible, this stem is for forks around 2004ish.

20140108_195831.jpg

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
I see. .. Thanks Frenchman

He's lengthened out the linkage plate to fit the shock... at the same time rotating the rear swingarm to drop it into its wheel arc slightly.

The only problem I can see is that it would not have the backwards moving arc deeper in its travel like before. I will model something up to work out how to drop the rear while retaining the axle path I want without ditch the floating rear calliper.

Part of the great thing about the bike is that the deeper you go into your travel. .. The longer and more stable it becomes. .. You can really feel it in the berms
He dropped the bb by about 1/2" as well.
You have a floating brake caliper set up currently? Ditch it if you can (I'm not sure if that's what you we getting at in your post)
Unnecessary weight. And they don't do much if you're braking properly.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
He dropped the bb by about 1/2" as well.
You have a floating brake caliper set up currently? Ditch it if you can (I'm not sure if that's what you we getting at in your post)
Unnecessary weight. And they don't do much if you're braking properly.
Yeah. .. I did see that part but if the whole goal is to lower the bb and slacken out the front I can think of a slightly better way of achieving it. .. To bad my leave is over. . There is a lathe and mill at in the shed that I haven't had a chance to touch for months.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's no axis

Picked up a gumtree special, a DB ascent ex, same vintage as my first MTb, 1995 ascent. Pretty knackered, but in some ways quite good for a near 20yo bike. After I paid the kid I asked again how he came about it, " oh it was on the street leaning against a tree". Oh well, I hope there's an axis leaning against a tree near me one day.

photo-4.jpg
I know its a sh1tter but its prob as close as ill come to getting back my first mtb i sold and regretted for ever after. Was priceless taking it for a blast in the park next door after picking it up, worth the money alone.

Last edited:

donny70

Likes Dirt
Hey all, I'm looking for some fairly good condition marzocchi shiver sc's.
Does anyone have some that they want to send to a good home?

moorey

call me Mia
Hey all, I'm looking for some fairly good condition marzocchi shiver sc's.
Does anyone have some that they want to send to a good home?
What you REALLY want is a set of supernova's....let me know when you come to your senses. My mate has a spare set from his 02 patriot if you're interested :thumb:

CourseOut

Likes Bikes
Steel is real

Hey guys

Not sure if it's ok to post this here but I am chasing an older style steel frame/fork mountain bike to build as a rigid single speed, preferably around a 16" to 18". I've seen a few on Gumtree and eBay but they seem to be in Sydney or Melbourne for the most part (I am based in Newcastle). Sydney would be ok but most of the sellers don't seem to be willing to take photos that show the actual size of the bike or be bothered to measure stuff up, and I don't really want to drive 2 hours plus to find sizing is wrong.

My budget is small for a complete ($100 - $150) so am thinking more Apollo/Shogun than Kona or GT! Ha ha. As a sweetener if I buy a bike off you, you can keep the shifters/derailleur! Exciting stuff!

Mods if this isn't kosher please delete, cheers!

Mammy

Likes Dirt
Anyone interested in a ball burnished 14.5" Zaskar frame with underside U-brakes?
Pretty good condition, with all threads intact. no dents.
It was going to be a build for the missus but she prefers my Gary Fisher.
I'll post up pics when i get some time.

donny70

Likes Dirt
Finally found my foes for a great price. I'll update the rear to disc using a BrakeTherapy floater.
Decals arriving soon and I'll redo the mainframe colour in a more luxurious candy apple red with metal flake.

This will be a slow burner project I think....

And got my vgc shivers to go on too..