The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

shhhteve

Likes Dirt
They were essentially a super market duel suspension bike. Horrible.
o really.... what do you reckon its actually worth then out of interest?

plus what do you normally look for it a retro bike? is condition and original parts everything?

Ivan

Eats Squid
o really.... what do you reckon its actually worth then out of interest?

plus what do you normally look for it a retro bike? is condition and original parts everything?
It isn't worth anything. Neither the frame (which has been cracked and repaired ) nor the parts are desirable.

donny70

Likes Dirt
Nostalgia, rarity, look of the bike. That's what I generally go for but not always in that order.

I'd like a diamond back topanga because it was my first ride, I wanted a gt sts as it looks amazing, I wanted a San Andreas because of the rarity and every garage should have a foes.

That being said I'll grab any bike because it has a full dx or xt group set...

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Finally found my foes for a great price. I'll update the rear to disc using a BrakeTherapy floater.
Decals arriving soon and I'll redo the mainframe colour in a more luxurious candy apple red with metal flake.

This will be a slow burner project I think....

And got my vgc shivers to go on too..

Don't take this the wrong way...but its a nice rare bike with what looks like a tidy and intact period build bar a few fred parts...surely better to resto than resto-mod this one? I'm sure you'll execute it beautifully regardless.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
93 Axis TT en route from the link a few pages back, fingers crossed. Don't intend to do a full period resto due to cost of m900 these days but we'll see.

donny70

Likes Dirt
Don't take this the wrong way...but its a nice rare bike with what looks like a tidy and intact period build bar a few fred parts...surely better to resto than resto-mod this one? I'm sure you'll execute it beautifully regardless.
Yeah still weighing up options on that. Bike hasn't arrived yet so can't say if the parts are knackered yet. If they're all in good condition might make it harder to break it apart .

Hank.

yes yes ya'll
Proflex 856

Just thought that I would post my Proflex.
Not long back from it's maiden voyage. The Risse Terminator and Gem Judy cartridges help a lot.
Heaps of fun to ride, climbs and descends well for a bike that hit the market 20 years ago-ish.

Attachments

jbg

Likes Dirt
Looks like a nice Proflex Hank ^^
Wanted one of these bitd with the girvin forks. what's amazing too is that Risse still make the terminator shocks that I had on my bike 20 years ago and they still look exactly the same!

Don't know if this has happened to anyone else but I was out on the trails with my old trek (suspensiontrack 9000) and got talking to a guy on a 29er, talking about bikes, wheel sizes etc then he said "hey you know most bike shops will finance new bikes........... so you could probably get a new bike pretty easily............"

guess old bikes aren't everyone's cup of tea

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't think it will be too uncommon in the near future to see retros talked about and ridden in a more accepting light. I think its part of any activity/hobby's maturity for a small subset to actively appreciate that aspect of where it all began, and as mtbing continues to grow in numbers so too will the retro enthusiasts on and off the trail. I hope.

I don't think it will be too uncommon in the near future to see retros talked about and ridden in a more accepting light. I think its part of any activity/hobby's maturity for a small subset to actively appreciate that aspect of where it all began, and as mtbing continues to grow in numbers so too will the retro enthusiasts on and off the trail. I hope.
thank christ for that, I'm getting sick of riding at night dressed like a ninja

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dunno, I was out on my xizang today and nobody gave it a second glance, my manitou fs, people couldn't figure it out even when it was still relatively new ('Did you bolt forks onto the rear?", "No I didn't, f'k off")