The VISTA question?!

BJ-

Rota Imports
Apart from the major shortage of drivers and the stupid 'you must authorise everything you do' security, Vista is great!

I run the Ultimate Edition, but i wouldnt reccomend getting it untill companies start releasing drivers. Because its really anoying not being able to use the 5.1 capabilities of your sound card or your DVD burner etc.

treggs

Treggs Tuned
**sneaks up when no one is looking**

"MAC!!!"

**runs like the wind**
Keep running buddy .... :D

In all honesty, after running a hacked OSX and vista ultimate, I would rather go to the effort of getting OSX running properly than vista. I think vista will cause Linux/Unix based operating systems to become more common on desktops/laptops. The biggest computer manufacturer on the planet (Dell) has decided to sell it's computers with Linux as an OS option. For a company that has pretty big ties to Microsoft, that is a big move.

moorey

call me Mia
Haha, I think you mean gig :p

From what I've heard, Vista is all athsetics (or whatever the word is, visuals) and is actually slower than XP due to needing more power. This was actually the reason I didn't get Vista, as when I was buying my computer a short time ago although I knew its specs were a reasonable amount higher than needed, I figured that in saying that its about 10 times whats needed for XP and that would mean XP is gonna run a hell of alot faster. I also didn't want to buy a first generation Microsoft OS ;)

Just buy a Dell XPS laptop with 2 GHZ Duo Core Intel n 1 or 2 gig of ram and a 256MB video card and choose it with XP, bam.
:eek:......my cats breath smells like cat food...

custard

Banned
Vista caused me a load of trouble. i hate it!.

This is the Computer setup i'm running:

Intel QX 6700
4GB of Corsair
2x Nvidia 8800GTX in SLI
Nvidia 680i mobo
Antec 900 gaming case
2x Raptors in raid
2x Seagate(ooo)320GB

When i put our lovable new OS(Vista Ultimate no less) on my brand new Firecracker of joy the stupid thing wouldn't boot:mad:. I wipped out my old XP pro loaded it on and after 15 mins installing i was playing a game.

In my opinion Vista is SH*T.

partyanimal
Edited by Rik: You just don't learn, do you? No need for that kind of talk around here.
anyyywayyyy

vista is rad

EXCEPT
ati radeon 9600 pro 256mb versions and nvidia NForce2 motherboards coupled with vista is bad. you cant install video drivers only the WDDM ones that windows has with it..

and lately, probably not vista related but, it takes about half a hour to just get my putey to kick over, as in i press power button
she comes on for about 5 seconds
then goes back to sleep...

new putey time!

conclusion

vista is rad if you didn't pay for it.
if your computer is rad run vista and have rad things running rad 24/7

hugs and kisses, peace and flowers
<3 Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:

v1llage1d1ot

Likes Dirt
About 15 of these came with our first shipment of Vista...

I wouldn't run vista for all the lollypops in the word. Perhaps its like the Dr, they give you an injection, it hurts like hell, it could make you very sick, the person giving it to you gets some sick pleasure from watching you in pain.. they think the pain will go away if they give you a lolly pop.

Seriously, just get a mac, you can run vista on it if you really really want to, but I'm pretty sure you'll install it and go.. hmmm... ok I think I like the OSX better anyways.

Once again M$ is playing catch up.

Bjern Fita

Likes Bikes
Buying a new computer I'd grab vista on it. one of the cheapest ways to get it and it shouldn't have any hardware issues if you are buying from one of the big lappy makers. If I was sitting on a reasonably nice computer running XP well (and I am), I'd let all the other jokers upgrading out there do my beta testing a wait til microsoft did a little updating further down the line.

Regarding Office, upgrade. it will be the norm in a few years and with deals like the one linked below, you can't go wrong. $75 for Ultimate, you need a working university email address.

http://www.itsnotcheating.com.au/

toml

Likes Dirt
Well I have a Vista Ultimate and XP Professional sitting on discs next to me but I'm still running 2000.
I have had no issues with compatibility yet and you can notice a speed difference.
2000 is much like XP bar a few features and some bling witch i can live without. I'll install vista after SP1 see what its like.

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
im going to also motion the apple recommendation.

mainly due to dual booting of OS X and windows. add parallels and use XP inside OS X.

i just salary sacrificed a new mac book for work. have it boot to windows for work stuff and then into OS X when i get home :D

no need to banter on all the other pro apple arguments, as the question is whether vista is worth it, and if so, should i get a machine that can run it.

fwiw, vista is processor and graphics heavy which means laptops will use up battery power faster, if long times without a powerpoint are going to be common (uni, travelling) then maybe XP might be better...

W2ttsy

projectsplat

The film guy
My suggestion would be to chat to someone who is doing support for Vista at the moment. They are the people who will be dealing with the most number of vista issues, and be able to give you a heads up as to how it is going in comparison to other OS's.

Attachments

Last edited: