Therapuetic Ultrasound

Boreit

Likes Dirt
does anyone use ultrasound therapy on injuries, strains & sprains etc as a part of their recovery & personal use? has anyone come across negatives from using ultrasound? what about used in conjunction with cortisone or non-steroidal gels like voltaren on certain injuries? recently have received this type of treatment for an ongoing problem & was able to get back training within a week... cheers

Knopey

Likes Dirt
I had it for tendonitis in my achillees about 15 years ago. For me, the only effect was the $ it cost my dad - it didn't seem to help one iota.

But new treatment may be more effective, and that was just my limited experience, certainly not scientific in any way. :)

I had shin splints and had the ultrasound treatment just tickled the pain. What really helped was a massage therapist’s thumb jammed right along the shin bone. VERY painful experience but worked. Just a note on personal use (consumer) units, they are detuned, the power output is not the same as the units used in hospital and physios. My advice is find yourself a good massage therapist.

bardles

Likes Dirt
Can't say i've ever heard of theraputic ultrasound, but you could try searching the Cochrane Library for a systematic review:
http://www.cochrane.org.au/library/
You may need to register and you will need an Australian IP address.

I doubt there will be a systematic review, and if there is - it will be based on poor quality trials with 20 people supporting the use of ultrasound.

Save your money.

Last edited:

martinpb

Likes Dirt
I doubt there will be a systematic review, and if there is - it will be based on poor quality trials with 20 people supporting the use of ultrasound.

Save your money.
At least he didn't ask about the treatment value of homeopathy ;-)

Got a faster conection at work - could only find two reviews and only one likely to be of interest. They give a limited and qualified support for pain relief and function restoration in knee OA (and as ever for fringe techniques, point out that larger and better quality trials are needed)

Boreit

Likes Dirt
At least he didn't ask about the treatment value of homeopathy ;-)

Got a faster conection at work - could only find two reviews and only one likely to be of interest. They give a limited and qualified support for pain relief and function restoration in knee OA (and as ever for fringe techniques, point out that larger and better quality trials are needed)
do you think that the cortisone inj was the primary reason for the improvement of the injury?

Knopey

Likes Dirt
do you think that the cortisone inj was the primary reason for the improvement of the injury?
From what I recall, there was significant massaging taking place during the application of the ultrasound. If massaging is being recommended, and is knowwwwn to work, it seems like that's at least partly to be credited for any improvement.
And the drugs of course - Cortisone is good.

tegski

Likes Dirt
Not sure about the effectiveness, but I have had it used at the physio twice and with the massage it certainly helped. Walked out much more comfortably. Once was for an injury (smack on the knee during a sudden dismount) and other time was probably overuse after a 24hr solo causing a sore achilles tendon. Visit to good sporty and cycling physio to check all would get better by itself really - nice to know. Probably put it into the gadget category that justifies the fees! However I was really paying for the knowledge and info on my sore bits!

Pile

Likes Bikes
I have recently had treatment for a calf injury that has been recurring over the past 12mths. The most recent episode took me to a new physio who used ultrasound on the injury in treatments over two-three weeks. I used some low-grade anti inflams with it.

Is it coincidental my recovery was faster than previous times? That there (as yet) has been no recoccurance of the injury? Not sure. I wasn't billed extra for the ultrasound as part of the treatment per se, I'd be surprised if that was the case. I am an economist, and not an amateur sports scientist, so outside of the anecdotal I can't comment but I would not hold any objections to pursuing the treatment for future injuries.