They'll never take our freedom!

Just checking to see if anyone has information about freedom dirt jumps?
Just went down to see how they faired in the rain over the last week only to find equipment has been brought in and the place flattened (they even took my trail tools). Has anyone heard plans to rebuild? Or similar?

yeah, well first of all RIP.

secondly manly council have promised to build a replacement advanced facility, if the group representing the riders agreed to flatten freedom trails. from my understanding they have acknowledged the grove does not suit more advanced riders, and will make a facility that does somewhere on the beaches. thats all i know about it.

i also like how im not the only one who thought that line was appropriate for the circumstances haha.

Last edited:
Ok fair enough (not really tho),
My second question would be, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to help the grove dirt jump facility evolve into something more interesting, at the very least turn the berms into something useful... I was at castle cove on the weekend (a council approved facility) and that has just become a pretty impressive piece of work, worth checking out on vimeo if your unfamiliar with it. Did this evolution happen with or without the councils knowledge?

a bit of both i think haha, im not too sure. someone mentions trackwork or digging, i dont question it i just pick up a shovel and help make something sick lol. the right line needed a lot of work a few months back and i guess we just needed to tweak stuff in order to make it flow better.

short story is we, at the cove, like big jumps :p

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's lots of work going on behind the scenes, and we're very confident of having a new facility up and running in the foreseeable future.

I feel like the general consensus is to give up on the Grove for now; the next facility is more likely to be in Warringah Council territory.

As context, Freedom was dozed with (reluctant) approval from the core riders at a recent council meeting. There are just far too many issues with the site (at least in the view of the two councils that share the land). The pay-off is an in principle agreement to work towards a new facility ASAP, and Castle Cove is being used as an example of how to do things properly.

well I hope it doesn't take as long as the grove (and the money is put to better use). I don't think its necessary to give up on the grove, if the rain damage is fixed, berms fixed, lips fixed (actually that's pretty much everything isn't it), then it will probably be worth a roll for some fun. Freedom was just a good size progression wise before hitting up the large line at castle cove, my fear is we may see increased injury from people (myself included) forced to step up prematurely.

Any ideas where the proposed sites may be? Really can't understand why anyone thought freedom was an unsuitable site...

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any ideas where the proposed sites may be? Really can't understand why anyone thought freedom was an unsuitable site...
I'm sure freedom would have been an insurence nightmare but I can't see anything quite as amazing as freedom being built with council approval in Australia.

There is a group on Facebook that might be an easier place to keep
In the loop. Or turn up for the castle cove digging sessions on Saturday mornings and talk to Duncan or Matt or whoevers there

Hopefully the new jumps are actually good

what i was told is one problem was that you had to go through private land to access the jumps, so that was an insurance issue, another was the fact that it was not correctly 'zoned' by the council, and would need to be re-zoned for it to be insured, which would conflict in the councils schedule of fucking things up. i assume.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well I hope it doesn't take as long as the grove (and the money is put to better use). I don't think its necessary to give up on the grove, if the rain damage is fixed, berms fixed, lips fixed (actually that's pretty much everything isn't it), then it will probably be worth a roll for some fun. Freedom was just a good size progression wise before hitting up the large line at castle cove, my fear is we may see increased injury from people (myself included) forced to step up prematurely.

The Grove is a sore point for the riders (who can't believe how much of a disaster it turned out to be) and the council (who still spend a lot of money on it). I reckon it has potential for re-imagining once we have a legal facility in Warringah (especially noting that both councils use the same insurer). But the next project won't take as long - plenty of lessons have been learned.

Condover Reserve has been suggested, and there's potential also at the Aquatic Center site.

As for why Freedom was unsuitable, I don't think we ever got a good answer.

Anyone know anything about the dirt delivery at the Grove?
I emailed council to notify them of significant rain damage and requested some top soil so people didn't go digging around the site, but I got no reply. Then dirt and gravel (more gravel than dirt, don't know what the gravel is for really) arrived? Not enough to make anything real fun, but enough to patch up at least some of the damage.

So i'm wondering, is this a coincidence or does someone at council listen... but not reply?

sensai_miagi

Likes Bikes
Grove dirt

yeah, well first of all RIP.

secondly manly council have promised to build a replacement advanced facility, if the group representing the riders agreed to flatten freedom trails. from my understanding they have acknowledged the grove does not suit more advanced riders, and will make a facility that does somewhere on the beaches. thats all i know about it.

i also like how im not the only one who thought that line was appropriate for the circumstances haha.
hey so is it only because the grove is too easy (i.e. suited to beginner-intermediate riders) that it gets written off? because I'm not an advanced rider - more intermediate - and so I would enjoy a jump park with jumps the size of grove but i gave up on the place due to the loose gravelly surface. i would still be going there for fun if the surface was more tacky. is my experience just because I'm an ametuer or do you guys find the same?

i also got sick of it not being maintained. to this effect, i called council and found out direct from Bob himself that:

Manly Council have a fortnightly inspection (and maintenance) schedule in place for this facility. If you have any concerns regarding track condition or other, Bob Spencer of Council's engineering section is your contact on 9976 1500.

From my experience going there, their claim of doing fortnighlty maintenace is bullshit but, yeah, hassle Bob for progress

Firstly, no its not you riding ability that is making the surface difficult its the millions of tiny stones broken free from the hard clay dirt pack that is making it difficult to navigate corners at the grove. This however can be fixed relatively easily, next time you head out just take a broom and sweep your line (I keep mine behind the last corner, feel free to use it but please put it back and refer to dirt jump etiquette posted on rotorburn).

However I do agree that the maintenance of the grove is woeful but you need to realise that the guy who comes each fortnight probably has a check list that reads: Grass length, fallen trees, excessive rubbish, tap left on, erosion near drainage.... Ill bet you if he gets a 2 outa 4 result then the place is fit to ride, not requiring any maintenance. The fact is councils dont maintain jump parks (you probably wouldnt want them to anyway), riders do!

I just think the riders that ran the old grove got burnt! and they are rightly reluctant to put their energy back into the site. Mind you the grove has council approval and insurance so ill bet it will be allot tougher to bulldoze than freedom, I would advise any keen riders with trail building skills to put some thought to the grove, I reckon as long as there are still lines for beginner/intermediate riders, the riders would be given allot of room for development of more progressive lines, or at least turn a blind eye, after all they would have a fortnightly report of the sites deteriorating condition over the last year and a half without rider input.

End rant.