Think about it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sealpup

Likes Dirt
Please Please Please

Whoever keeps mining for dirt out of the already massive open cut mines up at Oxy

Use your head!!

We are on borrowed time and the holes that are dug right next to the trail to sprinkle fairy dust on landers or to build new ramps with the grand canyon close by,(at least it could be another tourist attraction )are exactly why the greenies have all the ammo they need to label MTB's as vandals

my 2c:(

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agreed. I know there's a lot of "wood is bad use dirt" sentiment out there, but let's be realistic about how much dirt we can harvest.

And if you're going to tear down an existing wooden structure, don't just leave the remains on the side of the track. If you make a mess, clean it up. Common sense people!

steaklover

Likes Bikes
Agreed. I know there's a lot of "wood is bad use dirt" sentiment out there, but let's be realistic about how much dirt we can harvest.

And if you're going to tear down an existing wooden structure, don't just leave the remains on the side of the track. If you make a mess, clean it up. Common sense people!
i will put my hand up for that one.. i.e. creek gap... i tore it down and left it that way.. and i will clean it up... as far as the craters... i couldnt agree more ... oxy could and should be a sydney, even world icon.. many big name riders have ridden there and it features regularly in AMB, so why dont the builders who constantly build new stuff respect the landscape?we need to focus on maintaining the tracks we have and regenerating the areas we no longer use... all this bitching and bickering has got to stop, we need a set of simple rules that ALL builders abide by, and any new tracks, jumps, structures need to be approved by the majority.
its a beautiful place and we need to start treating it as something more than just a bike track!

Couldn't agree more with Mr. Sealpup's comments. Digging two foot from the take off or lander is just lazy and makes us all look like environmental vandals.

Oxy needs all of us who ride there to carry out a bit of maintenance every now an again, we just need to give some thought as to where we do our mining.

F1234K

Likes Dirt
We are on borrowed time and the holes that are dug right next to the trail to sprinkle fairy dust on landers or to build new ramps with the grand canyon close by,(at least it could be another tourist attraction )are exactly why the greenies have all the ammo they need to label MTB's as vandals

my 2c:(
Maybe if less people rode in the wet and less people do skids and less people slam brakes leading into jumps there would be much less maintenance to do.

You build with dirt, people complain about holes, you build with wood people say it looks like an industrial zone, you ride in the wet they complain about ruts...

Quite frankly people that complain all the time but couldn't be bothered to come and help out are wasting their breath. It is very easy to say get the dirt somewhere else when you are sitting at home complaining on the internet, but if you are there by yourself in the blistering heat or the cold wet rain... it gets a bit harder.

I mean honestly, how dare you insinuate that the builders are 'lazy' for not getting dirt from far away so you don't have to look at big holes when riding a track that only exists because of all the years of sweat and effort that a few have put in.

Many people use the place, even some famous ones. There is a reason for that. The people responsible for making the place ride as well as it does are the reason.

Funny fact: about half the builders don't even own computers or never visit this site so they NEVER see this sort of message. Some are so disgusted by the bickering that goes on on the forums from armchair trail crews that they no longer bother using these forums at all.

The majority of the builders are well aware of how bad the holes look. They never wanted the bloody things in the first place, but wood wasn't good enough. Wood had almost zero impact on the environment as the builders never had to dig massive holes, never had to clear all the vegetation and no ruts form when riding on wood.

Of course you end up with complainers about how bad the wood looks and how we aren't Canada etc etc. The greenies come in and rip down the trails that took a LOT of sweat and effort to build, it gets rebuilt, it happens again, switch to dirt... meanwhile people keep complaining that things aren't done the way they like.

Newby builders are constantly coming in and building random things (creating more holes and wood/carpet/crap that needs to get removed later) that don't flow or work and then when it gets "fixed" they bitch and moan and have the audacity to claim they are the work force behind oxxy!

The wood that gets ripped down does get removed (usually by the same people that made the effort to bring the materials in, build it, maintain it and then later they also make the effort to remove it), but clearly not in the time frame that is to the liking of people like you. Clean up Aus day is coming, plans are in place to use that day to clear out the wood (as has been done for the last 2 years).

A LOT and I do mean a LOT of crap has been taken out of that place by the main crews that were not responsible for putting that crap there in the first place. Do you think they enjoy spending a weekend cleaning up other peoples shit instead of getting a good ride in?

Before posting shit like this on a forum, think... put yourself in someone else's shoes for a second and think...

Last edited:

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe if less people rode in the wet and less people do skids and less people slam brakes leading into jumps there would be much less maintenance to do.

You build with dirt, people complain about holes, you build with wood people say it looks like an industrial zone, you ride in the wet they complain about ruts...

Quite frankly people that complain all the time but couldn't be bothered to come and help out are wasting their breath. It is very easy to say get the dirt somewhere else when you are sitting at home complaining on the internet, but if you are there by yourself in the blistering heat or the cold wet rain... it gets a bit harder.

I mean honestly, how dare you insinuate that the builders are 'lazy' for not getting dirt from far away so you don't have to look at big holes when riding a track that only exists because of all the years of sweet and effort that a few have put in.

Many people use the place, even some famous ones. There is a reason for that. The people responsible for making the place ride as well as it does are the reason.

Funny fact: about half the builders don't even own computers or never visit this site so they NEVER see this sort of message. Some are so disgusted by the bickering that goes on on the forums from armchair trail crews that they no longer bother using these forums at all.

The majority of the builders are well aware of how bad the holes look. They never wanted the bloody things in the first place, but wood wasn't good enough. Wood had almost zero impact on the environment as the builders never had to dig massive holes, never had to clear all the vegetation and no ruts form when riding on wood.

Of course you end up with complainers about how bad the wood looks and how we aren't Canada etc etc. The greenies come in and rip down the trails that took a LOT of sweet and effort to build, it gets rebuilt, it happens again, switch to dirt... meanwhile people keep complaining that things aren't done the way they like.

Newby builders are constantly coming in and building random things (creating more holes and wood/carpet/crap that needs to get removed later) that don't flow or work and then when it gets "fixed" they bitch and moan and have the audacity to claim they are the work force behind oxxy!

The wood that gets ripped down does get removed (usually by the same people that made the effort to bring the materials in, build it, maintain it and then later they also make the effort to remove it), but clearly not in the time frame that is to the liking of people like you. Clean up Aus day is coming, plans are in place to use that day to clear out the wood (as has been done for the last 2 years).

A LOT and I do mean a LOT of crap has been taken out of that place by the main crews that were not responsible for putting that crap there in the first place. Do you think they enjoy spending a weekend cleaning up other peoples shit instead of getting a good ride in?

Before posting shit like this on a forum, think... put yourself in someone else's shoes for a second and think...

Completely agree!

Ive been to oxy for a look but havent ridden there and its very well built by a bunch of hardworking people.

Go on easy on these guys, stop wrecking the place and help out, or at least stop having a go at them. If everyone just uses common sense things should be fine.

Keep up the good work you oxy builders!!!

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chill everyone!

There are some good points made...

Wood no longer used should be removed or stored out of site...the creek gap wood will go..
Builders should avoid digging more visible holes for dirt...agreed!

But..Jan has a point about people riding the track in the wet!! There are people, one who has posted on here ,(and I wont mention who") who has been seen repeatedly riding the track when its wet!! And does very little in terms of maintenance...

That person should abide by his own comments...sorry

But all in all lets work with keeping the place looking good to those outside of the MTB community...

Saying that we would achieve so much more if we were unified in our approach...and worked together building and maintaining things that everyone will enjoy riding...hopefully we can reach that stage again sometime soon...

Last edited:

steaklover

Likes Bikes

I mean honestly, how dare you insinuate that the builders are 'lazy' for not getting dirt from far away so you don't have to look at big holes when riding a track that only exists because of all the years of sweat and effort that a few have put in.

Of course you end up with complainers about how bad the wood looks and how we aren't Canada etc etc. The greenies come in and rip down the trails that took a LOT of sweat and effort to build, it gets rebuilt, it happens again, switch to dirt... meanwhile people keep complaining that things aren't done the way they like.

sorry mr "ive been there for ever"... go and have a look at the moo and tell me how many holes you find there...what is being said here is not by "newbie" building crew, but crew who care about the actual place, not just what it gets used for... its so hard when you do it on your own... thats cause you wont work with anyone else... cause you own the place huh!
its about more than the track.. its about the surrounding bush, remember where you are, remember you dont own it... none of us do, and it could all be taken away in an instant!
days have been organised and walkthroughs have been attended... but the so called "real builders" who have been there "for ever" didnt want to attend... and you know you were invited... well it all doesnt matter now, cause the greenies are organised and they are pushing to have the place shut down... big craters dont do anything to help our cause.. AND THAT IS A FACT no matter which way you look at it. recycle dirt from old worn out landers, go 20 ft into the bush, and if its too hard then ask for some help, rally up a crew and get hands on the job, there is plenty of "newbies" out there willing to lend a hand, and some ideas.... oxy is not one mans place, no matter how long he has been there. and that is a fact!

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It gets pretty funny... "Wouldn't it be great if we improved the track like (insert idea)?". "Yeah but if you do that someone will just come and tear down whatever you do, so don't bother". "That's pretty dumb". "Yeah, but what are you going to do about it?".

Oxy gets a lot of traffic. Oxy gets ridden in the rain a lot. Punters are going to skid like they do. It would be good if more riders got involved with maintenance. But with all the egos and bullsh#t that seems to come with picking up a shovel at the place, a lot of riders won't bother.

steaklover

Likes Bikes
It gets pretty funny... "Wouldn't it be great if we improved the track like (insert idea)?". "Yeah but if you do that someone will just come and tear down whatever you do, so don't bother". "That's pretty dumb". "Yeah, but what are you going to do about it?".

Oxy gets a lot of traffic. Oxy gets ridden in the rain a lot. Punters are going to skid like they do. It would be good if more riders got involved with maintenance. But with all the egos and bullsh#t that seems to come with picking up a shovel at the place, a lot of riders won't bother.
says it all really!

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Yeah, I think it has all been said so I'll close it before the degenerates further into a slanging match.

Bottom line: respect the environment and respect the trails, pitch in with maintenance where you can and stay at home when it's wet

Status
Not open for further replies.